Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #16
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Some thoughts about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders View Post
I don't even put the name on every page - just on the title page. I realize that this is really easy to strip out, but I don't want to engage in an "arms race" with pirates.
I have bought a lot of e-books in the past. Mainly DRM-free e-books. On the other side I strongly oppose any kind of personalization in my books For instance in some audiobooks there are hidden water marks.

I don´t buy them for that reason (I don´t send it elsewhere). The same is with my name in the book.

I want an original book (that looks like the original 'offline book' and not some book with my personal information in it).

So I almost bought your e-book. But as I don´t like some defacement of an 'offline-book' and I don´t like messing around with the e-book version.

Despite that it´s okay to try new ways.

Last edited by joblack; 04-04-2008 at 10:01 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
sanders
Connoisseur
sanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex Iliad
A PDF with three sample chapters is now online, so you can verify whether this layout works for 6" devices. The sample contains the title page, with registration to a hypothetical user called "Sample Excerpt". That way, you can also decide whether this constitutes a "defacement" of the book.
sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #18
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
First off, I'm very pleased that you took the time for proper ebook-reader formatting. The mobi version of Linux Kernel Development is horrible.

However, as others have stated, I would never buy a book with current social DRM ideas. From a privacy perspective, all of the schemes I've seen are pretty much horrible.

I'm a paying customer, I do not wish to be treated as a criminal (especially since it's a civil offense). Same argument goes to movie DVDs with the non-skipable logos, intros, pirates-are-as-bad-as-pedophiles clips, etc
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #19
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Hmm. I've got the sample on my Cybook now, and it's quite readable at "fit page" which puts it to 171% zoom, however the very edges aren't. Anyone know if I can decrease the zoom by 10% or so?

If I switch it to landscape (this reduces the zoom to 140%) it's still readable. So the size of the text isn't too much of an issue, it's just when it's almost touching the edge of the screen.

I've never edited a PDF, perhaps it's possible to stick a margin in? If that's the case then it should be pretty simple for me to stick a margin in after I've bought the book.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #20
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
I'm a paying customer, I do not wish to be treated as a criminal (especially since it's a civil offense). Same argument goes to movie DVDs with the non-skipable logos, intros, pirates-are-as-bad-as-pedophiles clips, etc
For me they're entirely different things.

I can't think of any reason why someone else would ever see the file, and as long as it just contains my name, or a serial number or something along those lines (i.e. not my credit card details) then I'm fine with it.

I detest the unskippable adverts at the start of DVDs, regardless if they're telling me that pirates eat babies, or here's our latest blockbuster.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
I can't think of any reason why someone else would ever see the file, and as long as it just contains my name, or a serial number or something along those lines (i.e. not my credit card details) then I'm fine with it.
For seeing a file: Joe Average's computer security is... bad. A simple and very common problem.

For the actual info: We are talking about social DRM. This means you embed significant personal information in a clearly visible way. Serials and the like aren't really different from normal DRM, other than the keys/serials being centrally stored/processed/associated.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #22
sanders
Connoisseur
sanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Hmm. I've got the sample on my Cybook now, and it's quite readable at "fit page" which puts it to 171% zoom, however the very edges aren't. Anyone know if I can decrease the zoom by 10% or so?

If I switch it to landscape (this reduces the zoom to 140%) it's still readable. So the size of the text isn't too much of an issue, it's just when it's almost touching the edge of the screen.

I've never edited a PDF, perhaps it's possible to stick a margin in? If that's the case then it should be pretty simple for me to stick a margin in after I've bought the book.
I can reformat the book with slightly larger margins, but that will take a while (I'll have to check all the page breaks). I wonder why the Cybook says it needs to zoom, though. I would expect it to shrink to fit the page, seeing as the page should be about 33% too big for its 6" screen size...
Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #23
Halk
Fanatic

Hmm, no I wouldn't do that. I'd just stick a left and right margin on, making the page larger. That'll mean blank space all around the page on the Cybook since it'll have to zoom out a little. I'd have thought I could do it myself if I had a PDF editor. I have no idea why it's saying 171% zoom though, I'd have expected 70% zoom.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #24
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Like the Social DRM concept and Book format is good

Hi Sanders,
Personally I really like the social DRM idea. It's a great compromise between both parties (Publisher/Author and Consumer) as it gives the consumer the freedom to read this product on any of their given devices PC/eReaderX and the Publisher peace of mind the consumer will not blatantly distribute their IP out on the net. So long as the data is not sensitive material this should not get too many complaints from your consumers.

As for the format of the book it looks great on the SONY reader (PRS-505). The fonts are nice and small (8pts) and the format looks great. I really like the fact that you did not put much of a border. The one slight issue is the font color because this book is a PDF the fonts tend to be more gray thank black, except where you used bold and titles. This makes the book hard on the eyes

I wish you success in this pilot program and I would certainly buy books using this DRM over any existing DRM employed today.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 04-07-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: clarification
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #25
sanders
Connoisseur

I have reformatted the book with slightly larger margins. The sample PDF is also updated to reflect these changes.

Regarding the "grayness" of the text: This is unfortunately beyond my control, as this is caused by your particular PDF renderer. I carefully picked the font of my book for it to look good on the so-so quality of print-on-demand (but was positively surprised), but it would be quite a job to pick a font which looks good on all PDF renderers at all zoom factors...
Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Larger margins? Can you undo that?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #27
sanders
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Larger margins? Can you undo that?
Why..? I went from 1mm to 2mm (on an 8" screen), to make sure that text didn't "disappear" into the frame of the reader when scaling down for a 6" screen. If your reader has some kind of "fit to bounding box of text", it would remove those margins anyway.

Do the larger margins really pose a problem for you?

Thanks,
Sander
Old 04-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #28
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders View Post
I wonder why the Cybook says it needs to zoom, though. I would expect it to shrink to fit the page, seeing as the page should be about 33% too big for its 6" screen size...
I've checked that it seems the Cybook thinks it is like A4 size, while it is obviously not. I format my PDFs with a 9x12cm page size, which is almost exactly the real screen size of the Cybook; however, when I open them in the Cybook, at "fit page" zoom, the status bar says it's 235%, and 21/9=2.33=233% (21cm being the width of an A4 paper).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, pdf