Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Jerry E-Book (Italy)

Anybody knows where it comes from ?
It's cheap, just €200, but it seems to be very basic, just reads very few formats, ASCII, Unicode txt, Doc, Html, Pdf, FB2.
Barely announced 2-3 weeks ago. Seems to be also called M-Ebook.

brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Lightbulb

I think it's Hongsheng H960:

http://www.hschi.com/en/products.php?cid=14

Same OEM sold in Spain from Energy Sistem as Energy Book 1060

http://www.grupoenergy.com/it-en/web...ergy_book_1060
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
This is built by Gajah (makers of Oaxis reader)and is the W960 (as they call it )pdf attached

Ill have one this week and am thinking about adding to our store. Its very thin, light and had the interesting feature of Page Turn buttons ont he back which are very easily reached with your index finger when holding it one handed. The design was inspired by riding the train/subway and holding a strap or pole with one hand and the reader in the other

It will be very cheap for a 6inch screen but it won't have adobe drm. I gather from reading here and elsewhere that there are a large quantity of people who don't leave the drm intact anyway....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W960_Productsheet_V3.3_OS.pdf (660.7 KB, 1000 views)
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

It looks like the same OEM, but Jerry-book and H960 specification is the very same, and I see in Gajah productsheet that W960 does support epub. But Jerry-book doesn't.

So I'm conjecturing that Gajah does not make this device, and simply resells it, just like the Oaxis OEM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
I have one, until the software will be improved it is just a peace of crap.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
thanks for the info
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Geppetto
Addict

Quote:
Well, you concentrated into a sentence what this journalist told us in a write-up :

http://www.pcworld.it/prova/1286/201...yBook-E60.html

(that's written in Italian)
Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
Chris Gray
Chris Gray began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thought I'd shed some light on the W960: I bought one a few weeks back and returned it five days later. I've blogged about the experience so people can get a better idea of what the reader is like.

I really liked the look and feel of it, but the software and awful battery life ruined it, amongst other things.
Chris Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
sirjudas
sirjudas began at the beginning.

It is called "OAXIS" here, they sell it for.. more or less ..USD 260. I'm from Indonesia btw.
sirjudas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gray View Post
Thought I'd shed some light on the W960: I bought one a few weeks back and returned it five days later. I've blogged about the experience so people can get a better idea of what the reader is like.

I really liked the look and feel of it, but the software and awful battery life ruined it, amongst other things.
the hardware is really nice , right? it makes teh bad firmware that more glaringly wrong. I really want to sell these- if i could get PocketBook-esque softwware on this hardware it would sell well
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
Chris Gray
Chris Gray began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
the hardware is really nice , right? it makes teh bad firmware that more glaringly wrong. I really want to sell these- if i could get PocketBook-esque softwware on this hardware it would sell well
If you could get the software right (at least at the Kobo level), the battery life at a reasonable level (once a week or so) and those nav buttons to disable while reading it would be acceptable. The only killer is, with all of these things it'd still have to at least match or better the price drop of the Kindle/Nook. Without that, no point even trying.

Twelve months ago this would have been a killer reader, today it just doesn't cut it.
Chris Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Usually that is what you get when you get a cheap product. Something I have noticed in cheaper products are less durable housings and outdated software
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote