Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Unhappy iRex forum off-line

The old iRex forum has been taken offline. The Firmware seems to be still available.
The SDK is also still available.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
I wonder the firmware will be updated? It is said that they welcome feedback of the updates in the old irex site, which you can see there. Would it mean that update is not discontinued?
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokjeid View Post
I wonder the firmware will be updated? It is said that they welcome feedback of the updates in the old irex site, which you can see there. Would it mean that update is not discontinued?
The new company only recently started, they will need some time to 'settle-down' and discuss with their new owners/partners the (detailed) strategy on how to move forward. I assume that the former iRex developers would really like to finish the firmware (like any developer wants to finish his product) and continue to improve it. Lets hope management makes the 'correct' decision and we all (also DR1000) get new firmware updates the coming years . Lets also hope that they bought the closed-source-software components (like UDS) from the bankrupt iRex, so they can supply the same kind of functionality they do now.

Gertjan: Are you allowed to tell us if we can expect a software update for the DR800 and/or DR1000 in the (near) future?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
bran
Enthusiast
bran began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
The new company only recently started, they will need some time to 'settle-down' and discuss with their new owners/partners the (detailed) strategy on how to move forward. I assume that the former iRex developers would really like to finish the firmware (like any developer wants to finish his product) and continue to improve it. Lets hope management makes the 'correct' decision and we all (also DR1000) get new firmware updates the coming years . Lets also hope that they bought the closed-source-software components (like UDS) from the bankrupt iRex, so they can supply the same kind of functionality they do now.

Gertjan: Are you allowed to tell us if we can expect a software update for the DR800 and/or DR1000 in the (near) future?
Please, No "I can tell you but then I have to KILL you stories"

bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
I'm afraid I can't tell you much more than already mentioned in the press announcement some time ago, and confirm your assumptions.

IRX Innovations bought the assets of IREX Technologies and most of the staff is now employed by the new company. As you've already guessed, we need to 'settle-down' and refocus, so I expect we'll live under the radar for some time. But, fear not, development continues.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
Mackx
Guru

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Thanks for the info and good luck
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
I'm afraid I can't tell you much more than already mentioned in the press announcement some time ago, and confirm your assumptions.

IRX Innovations bought the assets of IREX Technologies and most of the staff is now employed by the new company. As you've already guessed, we need to 'settle-down' and refocus, so I expect we'll live under the radar for some time. But, fear not, development continues.
thanks for answering.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
miguel.ossa
voyager
miguel.ossa began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad 2d edition
Quote:

Hello Gartjan,

Do you know if the support to Iliad will continue? I have my unit disabled to read anything but pdf, and I think the way to solve it is re-registering my Iliad. The update process is now in a loop, updating and rebooting.

Thanks!
miguel.ossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
IRX Innovations bought the assets of IREX Technologies and most of the staff is now employed by the new company. As you've already guessed, we need to 'settle-down' and refocus, so I expect we'll live under the radar for some time.
Certainly understandable.

Quote:
But, fear not, development continues.
Wonderful news, thank you.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
I'd really value some sort of statement on the warranties.
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #12
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
So since iRex is restarted now as IRX, does that mean I can get the service credit refunded as well as having my device back since I have shipped to them last year and paid the service fee way right before iRex bankrupted?

Or the new company will help me to fix the device?
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics@war View Post
So since iRex is restarted now as IRX, does that mean I can get the service credit refunded as well as having my device back since I have shipped to them last year and paid the service fee way right before iRex bankrupted?

I haven't seen anything recently about what type of support they are going to offer for the DR800. They said a while ago that they are not going to officially support/repair the DR1000, but may be able to help out on a case by case basis (probably aren't stocking parts, etc). Support/repair for the DR800 is less clear. I haven't really seen them say anything about it.

Regarding the service credit and device you shipped, I don't know. That's probably tied up in bankruptcy laws regarding who has legal ownership of assets that were in iRex's possession when the company went bust. I don't know if IRX has your device, or if things like that are in the possession of some lawyers somewhere.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #14
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics@war View Post

I would not count on receiving your service credit back. According to bankruptcy law, iRex owes you a service. However, due to their bankruptcy they can't provide the service anymore. Only when there is money left in the end, you might get the credit refunded, partly or in whole depending on how much money is left. However, I am pretty sure there will be no money left, otherwise there would be no reason to file for bankruptcy.

As far as your device is concerned: The device is your property and you can claim it back. You should write to the receiver and claim it back. However, you should be able to proof it is yours. (Probably, enclosing a copy of your receipt when you bought it and some proof that you sent it to iRex for repair will suffice).

The receiver is:
mr. M.A.J. Kemps
Luchthavenweg 81-114
5657 EA Eindhoven
The Netherlands
Telephone: +31-40-2676260
Good luck in getting your device back. It will probably take some time.

Groen
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groen View Post
Only when there is money left in the end, you might get the credit refunded, partly or in whole depending on how much money is left.
That's my understanding as well, but I'm not an expert. I think that it works such that those with the biggest claims get first dibs. IE the manufacturers and suppliers that they owed millions to will get paid before they start sending out money to individual customers. I'm not sure if that's a US thing, or if it's similar over there as well.