Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #31
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have both a Kindle and a Sony Reader. Both are good-quality products. If you look in the Kindle forum, you'll find that reports of problems with Kindles are rare.

Nothing beats the 3G Kindle for ease of buying books. Just select the book in the Amazon book store and a few seconds later it's there on your reader.
Given you have access to the Store... but I think Fortissimo said he hasn't.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #32
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
This is highly disturbing. I don't think I'll be able to buy books online here in Nigeria.
I wouldn't let that factor into your decisions, I've yet to find a poorly translated/ bad margins book, free or not. I have a Kindle, btw, so I've read many of the free azw's.
If Amazons 3g works in Nigeria, it seems like they would have support there? You should give them a call and see
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #33
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Also is there a particular format that is better than the other. Because I've seen that an ebook in mobi format is generally larger than an ebook in epub format. Perhaps there is more detail in the mobi format?
I'm not sure why they're larger. I don't think there's difference in detail. There's some technical differences but doubtful any you would be concerned with.

To me the Kindle actually feels more solid and refined than the Sony despite the Sony's metal frame, but that's subjective. In my experience Sony makes good products, so I wouldn't doubt its quality.

You mentioned wanting a decent browser. Depending on your expectations, you should find the browser on any of the devices adequate for text-oriented browsing, but little more. Keep your expectations low.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I'm not sure why they're larger. I don't think there's difference in detail. There's some technical differences but doubtful any you would be concerned with.
It's simply the compression. ePub files use ZIP compression, which is pretty efficient (in fact ePub are simply renamed ZIP files). Mobi files use a much simpler compression algorithm, which is less effective.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #35
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
It's simply the compression. ePub files use ZIP compression, which is pretty efficient (in fact ePub are simply renamed ZIP files). Mobi files use a much simpler compression algorithm, which is less effective.
Interesting. Thank you. =)
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #36
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
My preferences from your choices.

1. The $139 Kindle. I think the Pearl Screen for that price is the best bargain out there. Buy obtain your books where you can and then use Calibre and the plug-ins to liberate the DRM and convert.

The 3G is nice but since the Amazon store is going to be reluctant to sell to you anyway without some use of VPN servers etc - spending the money on 3G is probably a waste.

2. The Sony line-up. I like the Sony machines but feel they are overpriced.
Main advantage here is ePub support.

3. The nook. My least favorite of the readers. I find that LCD touchscreen at the bottom distracting.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #37
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Also is there a particular format that is better than the other. Because I've seen that an ebook in mobi format is generally larger than an ebook in epub format. Perhaps there is more detail in the mobi format?
No. In practical terms and for a pure text book all formats are the same. epub WITHOUT DRM is the facto standard but Kindle does not support it. But most commercial books are DRM protected so you cannot read those without breaking encryption anyway. Honestly? focus on the kind of books you want and choose the eraser regardless of the format.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #38
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
You mentioned dictionary support in your initial post, but the discussion never turned that way. The Sony 350/650/950 has a couple of nice features for looking up words. Double tapping on any word in a document will bring up that word in the dictionary for a quick look superimposed over your book. Another tap opens up the dictionary to full screen so you can see the definitions for words in the dictionary that are around the tapped word. Alternatively, a tap in the corner of the dictionary window returns you to the book. In addition to being able to look up definitions for English words, there are also language translation dictionaries (French, Spanish, Dutch, German, and Italian). If you ever read books in those languages, it can be nice to quickly see the English translation for words you don't know. Because the Kindle has a keyboard instead, you have to navigate to the word you want to look up or type it in with the keyboard first.

I'm guessing that you'll have to buy without seeing in person, so you might not have thought about ease of use (ergonomics) yet. The weight of the reader and placement of page turn buttons can play a big role in your reading enjoyment. With my Sony 650 in a small font, it takes about two page turns on the reader to equal one page of the book in paper. Multiply that by an average of 300 pages in a book and you can see that uncomfortable page turns can have a big impact. Personally, the touch screen on the Sony is a lot easier for turning pages than page turn buttons. I tend to hold my reader from the bottom, so the buttons on the Kindle aren't in the right spot for me to use. It's easy for me to brush my thumb over the lower corner of the page without readjusting my grip or pulling me out of the book. People who like holding the reader half way up might like the Kindle better. It depends on you and what you find easy/natural.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #39
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post

The 3G is nice but since the Amazon store is going to be reluctant to sell to you anyway without some use of VPN servers etc - spending the money on 3G is probably a waste.
Although since he's interested in free books, I don't see that this would be a problem. PD books aren't geo-restricted.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #40
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Nothing beats the 3G Kindle for ease of buying books. Just select the book in the Amazon book store and a few seconds later it's there on your reader.
Harry, I have exactly the same experience with my Sony 950 buying from the Sony ebookstore. I just select the book in the Sony ebookstore, pay for it, and it is wirelessly downloaded in seconds to my 950.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #41
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Although since he's interested in free books, I don't see that this would be a problem. PD books aren't geo-restricted.
But Amazon won't even let him register a Kindle to an address in Nigeria. So it doesn't matter about the book's geo restrictions, he can't shop at Amazon with a Nigerian address period. He can obtain PD books many other places including nice ones here at MobileRead, but he'll likely be using his computer and sideloading anyway.

If he does want to buy a book , he'll have to use the methods to circumvent (VPN servers etc) and pretty much wipe out all the advantages of 3G anyway.

Nook doesn't have International Support at all. I don't know much about the Sony eReader but I don't think their store sells outside US/Canada either.

So in all those cases, I really can't see the advantages of paying for 3G.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #42
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Kindle Wifi
Seems great, but I'm still not sure about its file compatibility. Also, does it support non-DRM? How about the ease of transferring books from the PC to the reader.
I also saw in a review that the Kindle is not usually expected to outlive it's 1year warantee period. Also, the general consensus seems that the Kindlecan only read books from Amazon.

Nook Wifi
Some users have complained about the battery life. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it was released by Barnes & Noble in 2009 which makes it really old. I'd like a modern device.
Apparently, the dictionary only works with "Nookbooks" That's a no no for me.

Sony PRS-950
This device seems amazing! The price seems a little steep though. Also I don't know if I can get it from the UK which is where I plan to buy my reader.

I looked at the Kobo Wifi but because it has no browser, I scrapped it. However I'd still greatly appreciate your thoughts on it.

What about the Cybook, Alex reader, Bebook Neo, Aluratek, Pocketbook, etc. Is there any you would recommend?

actually the nook has been have software updates throught the year since it's release so far 5, that keeps it up to pace as far as tech features. it's hardware is actually more modern than the kindle especially with it's touchscreen navigation on the bottom and the ability to see your book covers in color.

also the dictionary DOES work on other books that aren't nookbooks. not sure where you heard that but that is a bit of misinformation.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #43
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One point that's certainly worthy of consideration is that the Kindle and Sony are currently the only devices to have the 3rd generation eInk "Pearl" screens. These have significantly better contrast (50% better, according to the manufacturer) than the older 2nd generation screens that devices such as the nook use.

thats a slight exaggeration. No way is the Pearl Screen 50% better than the last year screens. NO WAY. before the latest update to nook it was marginally better but after the latest v1.5 update on the nook it bolded it's text darker and it's on par witht the Pearl Screen.

Pearl Screen is only a better contrast ratio, there is no technology advancement or anything. It's not like comparing old CRT tv's to todays LED 3D HDTV's. It's just a better contrast ratio that's it.
And like I said after the nooks update their screen is on par with the Pearl Screen
Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #44
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
No. In practical terms and for a pure text book all formats are the same. epub WITHOUT DRM is the facto standard but Kindle does not support it. But most commercial books are DRM protected so you cannot read those without breaking encryption anyway. Honestly? focus on the kind of books you want and choose the eraser regardless of the format.
Joe you always make my head hurt when you try to confuse people on ePub, only BN encrypts their ePub books with their special DRM the rest use the ADOBE Reader. Which is supported on all devices EXCEPT the KIndle, meaning you don't have break any encryption if you buy your books from Sony, Google, Fiction wise, kobo, etc. You can have your library and use it any device you want, a Kobo, A Sony and Nook, a PocketBook etc.
I decide to buy a Sony 950 tomorrow my library is intact and I don't have to strip anything.

Please stop spreading this kind of confusion, simply because the Kindle doesn't support ePub and Adobe Reader. Instead of misinformation complain to Amazon so maybe they will change their business practice.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #45
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Joe you always make my head hurt when you try to confuse people on ePub, only BN encrypts their ePub books with their special DRM the rest use the ADOBE Reader. Which is supported on all devices EXCEPT the KIndle, meaning you don't have break any encryption if you buy your books from Sony, Google, Fiction wise, kobo, etc. You can have your library and use it any device you want, a Kobo, A Sony and Nook, a PocketBook etc.
I decide to buy a Sony 950 tomorrow my library is intact and I don't have to strip anything.

Please stop spreading this kind of confusion, simply because the Kindle doesn't support ePub and Adobe Reader. Instead of misinformation complain to Amazon so maybe they will change their business practice.
K. to you!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote