Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2006, 04:17 AM   #16
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
My blessings to all those deeply in love!
Maybe I should get one when I swing by US next month! ... then I can feel some love too!
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #17
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultim8fury
2 months and 26 books read (mostly pratchett). I take it everywhere with me although having been signed off work for 6 weeks meant it travelled mostly between my lounge and bedroom.
Yay! Another Pratchett lover! I own every single one of his books ("Guards! Guards!" is my favourite). I wish they were all available on the Connect store. Boo hoo
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #18
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I've bought all his books in paper/hardback and have acquired e-books of them. As and when they hit the connect store I'll happily re-buy them.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #19
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I have all my Pratchett books in audio format. Listening to the narrator's different voices adds to the enjoyment.

I am madly in love with my Reader. Now that I have my 1 gig memory stick I can carry a thousand books around in my purse.
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #20
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
My relationship with my reader has also been passionate. Spin was a inspiring. Freakanomics was funny. Short stories by Han Jin were thought provoking. Now its breaking my heart with the Kite Runner.

It is easy on the eyes and the envy of most who see it. It only only when we are alone and I have to play with the Connect software that the deep dark underbelly of the beast reveals itself. None the less, I forgive it its inevitable failings. Last week I fed it a 2gb SD card that I picked up for $25 and the honeymoon continues.

For those of you who can't find Pratchett at the Connect store, search online. A lot of his books are floating around as rtf and html.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo
... It only only when we are alone and I have to play with the Connect software that the deep dark underbelly of the beast reveals itself. None the less, I forgive it its inevitable failings. Last week I fed it a 2gb SD card that I picked up for $25 and the honeymoon continues...

Shame on Connect

Usually a beast has a white underbelly with a dark back . This one has a dark underbelly with your greenbacks.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #22
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Well, today, I had my first real trial of my Reader. I flew from the East Coast of the US to Japan. My flight was 14 hours. I read Next cover to cover (so to speak) and listened to music for about one hour. I had the Reader on almost the entire flight, yet I still have all four bars of battery life left.

Also, it was very easy on the eyes. I used the airplane light and, sometimes, when I turned off the airplane light, I used a book light. I had been reading on my Treo, but now I realize how unpleasant that was. I still have books on my Treo that I want to read. I am not looking forward to going back to that at all.

Betty
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Could you explain what you mean by a "book light", Betty? I'd be interested in a "lighting solution" for the Reader, if anyone has any specific recommendations!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #24
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/EVEFNL2BU1CS-L...ffice-products

It's the best one I've used and I've tried 3 from that lightwedge company.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks William - that looks excellent. I'll have to look around and see if there's something similar available in the UK.

Many thanks for the helpful recommendation.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This thread might also be of interest to you, HarryT.

I've purchased books from the UK Amazon in the past that they've been only too happy to ship here, perhaps the US Amazon would ship there, if it's worth the shipping cost to you.

It was very amusing to me to be able to purchase, receive and read Anne McCaffrey's The Skies of Pern a full month before it even released here in the US. As an added bonus I like the UK cover art better than the US version too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #27
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
NatCh, did the book use American spelling or British spelling?

Last year, I read an SF novel by a UK author which was released through an American publisher, and someone had run it through a US spellchecker. However, it had a certain amount of UK idioms. It was like reading two dialects at once, which was jarring times.

On a good note, it was the first time I've seen a publisher do this in the 100+ UK novels I've read in my lifetime.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:00 AM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The spellings weren't anything that I considered unusual, but I don't really notice 'british' spelling anymore.

Ms. McCaffrey may be a special case, however -- she's originally from Maine (if I recall correctly) and moved to the UK as an adult. She also has a huge readership in the US, and I don't know if she writes separate US and UK versions, per se. I'd guess not, but it's a flat out guess.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
The spellings weren't anything that I considered unusual, but I don't really notice 'british' spelling anymore.

Ms. McCaffrey may be a special case, however -- she's originally from Maine (if I recall correctly) and moved to the UK as an adult. She also has a huge readership in the US, and I don't know if she writes separate US and UK versions, per se. I'd guess not, but it's a flat out guess.
She actually lives in the Republic of Ireland, not the UK .

Many British books are "Americanized" (if there is such a word) for the US market; it can be quite distracting when reading an obviously British book to come across American expressions. A good example is the "Harry Potter" books - they are (obviously) British in origin, but are specifically edited for the American market for their US editions - "car park" becomes "parking lot", "letter box" becomes "mail slot", "trainers" becomes "sneakers", etc.

It's also quite common for books to have their titles changed for different markets - sometimes for legal reasons; other times for cultural ones. Again, using the Harry Potter books as an example, the British "HP and the Philosopher's Stone" became "HP and the Sorceror's Stone" for the US version of both the book and the subsequent film.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-11-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:48 AM   #30
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
It might be that your reading speed is different from mine. I read at a "verbal" speed--basically reading out loud in my head. As a result, it takes me a few minutes to read a page. I realize that "speed readers" don't read one word at a time, but much faster, so a page of text takes only tens of seconds.

It also might be a difference in learning styles. On the visual/verbal scale, I'm decidedly visual, so the differences between UK and US spellings are more noticable.

Also, I'm an above-average speller (probably in the top 10%), so maybe that's why I notice it more.
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote