Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Burroughs, Edgar Rice: Barsoom Omnibus. v4, 12 Apr 2012

A bit of light-hearted relief from the serious stuff, here's Edgar Rice Burroughs' complete "Barsoom" series, in one (very long!) book:

1. A Princess of Mars
2. The Gods of Mars
3. The Warlord of Mars
4. Thuvia, Maid of Mars
5. The Chessmen of Mars
6. The Master Mind of Mars
7. A Fighting Man of Mars
8. Swords of Mars
9. Synthetic Men of Mars
10. Llana of Gathol
11. John Carter of Mars

Just in case anyone isn't familiar with it, the "Barsoom" series is the architypal "boys' own adventure" type stories, set on (a fantasic) planet Mars, with muscle-bound heroes, princesses to be rescued from fates worse than death, wierd monsters, etc etc. It's true to say that "Star Wars" would never have existed without "Barsoom".

I've done this along the same lines as my previous "Complete Sherlock Holmes" book; there's a book index at the start, and selecting a book takes you to a contents page for that book.

I naively thought this would be quick to produce, but I've just finished it after a 12h "marathon". Many of the PG sources (especially for the later books in the series) are extremely poorly formatted, and needed a great deal of work to make them look reasonable.

Enjoy!

EDIT: 8 Jan 08

Completely recreated the book with improved formatting. Now a proper MobiPocket book with full-sized pictures, library information, etc. Uploaded v2.

EDIT: 29 Jul 09

Replaced books 2-4 in the series with improved versions from PG. Added an improved cover. Changed the name from "Barsoom Collection" to "Barsoom Omnibus" to be consistent with my other omnibus editions. Uploaded v3.

EDIT: 12 Apr 12

Completely reformatted and thoroughly proofed against printed versions of all 11 of the books that comprise the omnibus. Goodness knows how many thousand errors corrected, and a considerable amount of text added which was previously missing. I would now regard this as a finished product; if you find any errors, no matter how small, please let me know so that they can be corrected. Uploaded v4.

Previous download count: 1975
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Barsoom Omnibus.epub (2.13 MB, 2217 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 04-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Woohoo, Harry, you rule!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 03:55 AM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Harry, you're an abolute prince!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Harry, just discovered this - thank you!
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Harry, it sounds like a great something to download onto a youngster's birthday present. Kudos!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's wonderful stuff whether you're 9 or 99.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Barsoom Chronicles on AudioBooksForFree.com

I first discovered these wonderful stories some years ago on this website
AudioBooksForFree.com

Princess of Mars
Gods of Mars
Warlord of Mars
Thuvia Maid of Mars

They are abridged and read by Grover Gardner and are FREE in a low-quality format but will give you a good feel for this other-world. Good to listen to in the car when one can't (or shouldn't) be reading while driving!! If you are a Robert A. Heinlein fan, you will enjoy the references to Barsoom in his "Number of the Beast".

If you get into Edgar Rice Burroughs, the same website also has some of the Tarzan stories

Tarzan of the Apes
Return of Tarzan
Beasts of Tarzan

All highly recommended for fun and adventure.
Thanks for making these books available, HarryT!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Don't forget the movie coming out in 2012, John Carter of Mars, directed by Andrew Stanton (Wall-E, and Finding Nemo). It should be great!
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
Doogman
Connoisseur
Doogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-booksDoogman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook ST
Thanks for compiling and posting this!

Years ago when I was a early teenager I stumbled upon a few of the Martian series. They were a great read but I didn't realize there was more of them until now. This series and the Tarzan books should keep me busy for awhile.

Also the quality of the epub file is excellent! I went to the bookcase and pulled out my old hardbacks (one's dated 1929). While thumbing through the book, I noticed the illustrations and I was surprised to see the epub also had the same artwork. Neat! Much better than the TXT files I downloaded from Project Gutenberg years ago.

Now all I need is a nice e-reader so I can sit in my comfy chair while reading.
Doogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Thank you, HarryT, for the effort you have put into these. I read these books thirty years ago, and had forgotten how entertaining they were. And, thanks to your work, these are a pleasure to read on the Nook.

Again, thank you.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #11
rocket54
rocket54 began at the beginning.

Device: eco reader
great to get all these books together. i have them all in paperback from 25 years ago and its great to have them on my ereader. thanks Harry
rocket54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #12
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Thanks, Harry for all the work with this. Sadly, only the first 5 books are in US public domain.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
kraydl
kraydl began at the beginning.

Device: iPad using Stanza
Love this series... thanks!
kraydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #14
John2011
Enthusiast
John2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1
Thank you Harry for sharing these stories.

You have done a excellent job with it too.

Peace John
John2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #15
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Happy to find these! Read long long ago in my youth. Well, two of them, anyway.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote