Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Thousands of Public Domain ebooks added to the Kindle Store

Okay, I know that you are wondering why I posted that; it's not news. Here is the news:

All of those ebooks are free.

Most of the books appear to be have come from Project Gutenberg. None of the ones I've checked have a table of contents, nor any illustrations.

It's not a big deal, but this is a nice little treat for Kindle owners. Now a Kindle owner has no need to go elsewhere to find public domain ebooks.

Edit: As Moe the Cat pointed out, apparently Amazon simply took the free offerings from Mobipocket and ported them over to the Amazon store.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
So basically it's good for Amazon's marketing but for the high quality editions you should still come here :-)
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
How do you view the titles they have available? I found a way to do it, but I might be missing something, and a much better way than I am doing it exists.

My method: I went to Amazon selected the Kindle Store from the drop downlist and pressed the GO button. This brought me to their main Kindle Store page, then I selected "Price: Low to High" in the "Sort By" drop downlist. This displayed pages of free books.

I imagine you could also search for specific items. However, I just wanted to browse a list of free books that they were offering. I wasn't looking for a particular title or author.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
They seem to be the same (or some of the same) public domain ebooks that have been offered for years on the Mobipocket site.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
They seem to be the same (or some of the same) public domain ebooks that have been offered for years on the Mobipocket site.
Well spotted! They use the same cover dummy. And the creation date displayed on the Mobipocket site is the same as the "publisher" date shown on Amazon.com.

Example: Search for "Portion of Labor" and compare the two.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As of a couple of minutes ago the cutoff seems to be HERE

That's 4,335 free books from Amazon. So, Mobileread still offers more books, offers higher quality books, and provides a more convient way of browsing through the books offered.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
As of a couple of minutes ago the cutoff seems to be HERE

That's 4,335 free books from Amazon. So, Mobileread still offers more books, offers higher quality books, and provides a more convient way of browsing through the books offered.
Don't forget to add "faster response time to formatting and text errors". Hmmm, better just make that "responds to formatting and text errors" since most places don't.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Don't forget to add "faster response time to formatting and text errors". Hmmm, better just make that "responds to formatting and text errors" since most places don't.
Now do not remind me. I am beavering away at "The Snare" (last chapter got cut off mysteriously)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Absolutely, good point stxopher.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What member was it who was keeping tabs on the total books available from Sony vs. Amazon?

Some eager-beaver member with a good mathematical head on his shoulders, if I remember correctly.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
What member was it who was keeping tabs on the total books available from Sony vs. Amazon?

Some eager-beaver member with a good mathematical head on his shoulders, if I remember correctly.

Don
I believe it was vivaldi. Still not sure how to add all of that up, since Sony will list books under multiple sections.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
Beaver that's me, mathematical head is (mth is checking himself) definitely not me!!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Some one looking for a mathematician? User:Nrapallo Present!

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-29-2009 at 03:14 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
dodgyville
dodgyville began at the beginning.

Device: E65
Amazon have some cheek! Making use of the copyleft movement when it suits them but doing everything they can to lock down large chunks of the public domain (see their attempted patent on "one click purchasing" and fairly locked down platform that is the kindle, charging too much money for editions of books long in the public domain (not the gutenberg stuff I know that's free)).

I hope they are contributing back to Project Gutenberg. I know companies are there to make profit, but there's the right way to do it, and the a**hole way to do it. Sadly, Amazon strikes as an example of the latter. Take take take, never give back.

Yes, it is 43C here and everyone is cranky with the heat.
dodgyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
How do you view the titles they have available? I found a way to do it, but I might be missing something, and a much better way than I am doing it exists.

My method: I went to Amazon selected the Kindle Store from the drop downlist and pressed the GO button. This brought me to their main Kindle Store page, then I selected "Price: Low to High" in the "Sort By" drop downlist. This displayed pages of free books.

I imagine you could also search for specific items. However, I just wanted to browse a list of free books that they were offering. I wasn't looking for a particular title or author.
There are now 7,370 of these books available. Follow this link (sorted by highest customer review) to the complete list of all Public Domain Books (there is one extra that comes up in the search, a 1.99 offering that you can get free elsewhere) and you can use the categories on the side to help locate those of interest.

Happy downloading!
koland is offline   Reply With Quote