Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read as you download, or do you hoard titles for a rainy day?
I don't download new things until I finish what I've got 16 6.48%
Downloading is half the fun, he who dies with the most titles on his SD card wins 204 82.59%
Other (explain) 27 10.93%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #46
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Hoarding is half the fun...
My main problem is that my Sony Reader PRS-500 is a poor hoarding device.
I have gigabytes of books begging to be hoarded on my 8 GB memory stick but at best the PRS-500 can hoard 2 GB of bibliophilic goodness before the device becomes virtually unusable. It's menu functionality is limited with respect to the serious hoarder - one can only hope the new PRS-700 has corrected this serious issue.
My calls for a firmware upgrade to allow me to hoard yet more books on my Sony Reader have gone unanswered..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:31 AM   #47
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I am attempting to locate & download all of my favorite classics, plus any classics (and freebies) that look interesting, and all the new books that catch my eye. Luckily the 820 (approx) eBooks on my 505 haven't maxed it out. I keep any extras on my hard drive. I don't dump any books even if I don't like them. I was taught that you NEVER throw out or get rid of a book. I've just transferred the practice to my reader.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 01:35 AM   #48
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
for me, it's a bit silly; maybe stems from my experience with software..
I generally download whatever seems interesting to me, and whatever I can ( eg: all science, science fiction, etc.. but no romance or westerns)
Once I got them, downloaded from a site, I'll probably start reading 10%
After which I probably throw away another 10% as 'trash'.
a 20% will be left untouched and forgotten, while another 20% will be ready but always in the waiting list due to lack of time... another 5-10% I came to know is what I have double, so needs to be erased.
Unfortunately only 10% of the books read I find so good that I make efforts to buy them!
30% of those books I actually end up buying, and 5% of the unbought books I recommend a friend to buy.

usually around that time I feel it's time to move on to the next hobby, and I probably will find something else that captivates my attention, like learning a new game (Like Japanese GO), or playing an instrument....

The remainder of unbought books inevitably end up on a burned DVD in a closet, untill the DVD becomes sunreadable over time.
Then the hard part of throwing the dvd away with all the others has to happen; unless I see future in it, and I can recover some bits of info on a Flash memory card or so...

Then I keep it for another 2 years, untill it's so outdated, that no single program out there still reads the format!

I guess that'll be the story for me, but for now, I'll just go with it, and not worry...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #49
grzy7316
grzy7316 doesn't littergrzy7316 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505, iPod Touch, Palm Zire m150
Definately a hoarder. I have about 16,000 ebooks. I got most of them in one big download, and yet I still seek out new books.
grzy7316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #50
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I voted other. I've only had my Kindle for 6 weeks, so ask me in another few months if I'm a hoarder or not. So far I've been pretty good about not ordering much unless I'm down to only 2 or 3 unread. So I keep a buffer at the moment so I have choices but I am trying to keep it in reason...after all, I don't want my amazon.com visa to explode! Though I am downloading some free books too.
I'm updating...I'm a hoarder. I have at least 4 dozen unread books right now, possibly more, AND I've bought 5 this week including yesterday's releases of Promises in Death (J.D. Robb) and the new Star Trek Titan book.

Now, of the unread books, some are freebies from Amazon that I may not read for quite a while...but, they were free.

Oh, wait, I have the Harlequin freebies too...ok, I have over 5 dozen unread.

My current dilemma...what method I'm going to use to organize them on my PC. I'm thinking unread books will be left in my common "Mobipocket Reader" library folder. And then once read, moved to folders organized by author name. But this is still a work in progress.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
This poll ties into another poll I created quite a while ago:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30329

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #52
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This poll ties into another poll I created quite a while ago:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30329

BOb
This poll itself is pretty old too.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #53
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Im a bit of a hoarder ..... I have about 40 books on my Sony and will buy more if there are any that I fancy. As I read them I have to replace them or I get a bit panicy that I will run out of books LOL

I have just down loaded the 6 free bestsellers from BOB so I am a happy camper today.
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #54
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
Both!
ThePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #55
ReD
Enthusiast
ReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-700, PRS-300, PRS-T1, Kobo Arc
I'm most definitely a hoarder and this site doesn't help me curb my bad habits! I find myself trolling the uploaded e-books section on a daily basis in the hopes that I can add a few more books to my ever-growing collection...
ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #56
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
A hoarder too, with ebooks as well as paperbacks !
I buy them by batch, 2 or 3 at a time, sometimes from the same author (part of series for example).
I'm kind of a compulsive for series (trilogies for instance !), when I see the first that seems interesting, I don't wait after reading it to buy the 2 others, I buy them all at once !
Luckily, I'm rarely disappointed...

So, I have plenty of books to read, and I choose one according to my mood...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM   #57
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

I try to read 75% of what I download every month.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #58
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i can't help myself ! when i see a book that looks interesting i download it and put it away for a rainy day... in fact that's the real reason i originally decided to buy a liseuse ; i found the Project Gutenberg site years ago and i thought it was absolutely brilliant, and started downloading tons of books i sincerely wanted to read... the problem was i realised i hated reading them on my pc and i would never do it. that's when i started looking around for a solution... and ended up buying an ebookwise to start, then a sony 700, and next... who knows ?

i've got the same problem with paperbooks but i'm trying to cure myself, they take up too much space and collect too much dust !! so little by little i'm getting rid of most of them.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #59
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I used to consider buying books (in a bookstore) as a separate hobby. Downloading seems to have taken its place.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #60
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I used to consider buying books (in a bookstore) as a separate hobby. Downloading seems to have taken its place.
I thought I would miss going to the bookstore. I don't.