Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
sebtombs
sebtombs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PDF to MOBI scrambles "th" and "ft"

I know that PDF conversion is hard, but this one is a bit weird. Every instance of "th" in a document that I have just converted is rendered on the Kindle as what looks like a Greek character, and "ft" has become a small square.

Is this a known PDF->MOBI issue in Calibre, or more likely to be a Kindle AZW problem?
sebtombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebtombs View Post
I know that PDF conversion is hard, but this one is a bit weird. Every instance of "th" in a document that I have just converted is rendered on the Kindle as what looks like a Greek character, and "ft" has become a small square.

Is this a known PDF->MOBI issue in Calibre, or more likely to be a Kindle AZW problem?
Those are probably Ligatures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographic_ligature

Coupled with what you read in the Sticky a(above) about PDF, it should not be a surprise that there will be problems like this.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebtombs View Post

I agree with theducks.

What has probably happened is that the app that built the PDF replaced all of the "th" and "ft" letter combinations with ligatures. This means that all of the "th" and "ft" combinations seen in the PDF are not letter pairs but a single special character.

It is these special characters that aren't converting well. You could try converting to some editable format (HTML, ePUB, ...) and using Search&Replace to sweep the document replacing the "bogus" characters with the proper letter pair replacements.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote