Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Books a Million takes over some closing Borders stores

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...057816244.html

They take over 14 stores mostly in the east. havent seen the actual list yet
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
That's cool. I wish them well.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...rs-leases.html

Quote:
The following stores are part of the deal, with the first number in parenthesis representing square footage and the second number representing how much BAM paid for the store:

#89 Columbia Crossing, Columbia, MD (28,000; $45,394)
#125 Bangor Mall, Bangor, ME (25,881; $54,364)
#133 Maine Mall, South Portland, ME (30,000; $168,757)
#136 The Strip, Canton, OH (30,000; $103,803)
#138 Oak Point Plaza, Eau Claire, WI (23,960; $41,114)
#168 Grand Traverse Crossing, Traverse City, MI (20,000; $71,672)
#193 Wrangleboro Road, Mays Landing, NJ (20,000; $55,583)
#292 Northridge Shopping Center, Davenport, IA (25,000; $41,629)
#334 Edwardsville Crossing, Edwardsville, IL (21,996; $42, 566)
#340 Fort Eddy Plaza, Concord, NH (31,889; $87,951)
#369 Haines Avenue, Rapid City, SD (20,000; $42,566)
#394 Valley Square Center, West Lebanon, NH (22,015; $58,820)
#442 Viewmont Mall, Scranton, PA (22,960; $49,874)
#524 Waterford Commons, Waterford, CT (22,824; $69,780)
Unfortunately, not one near me
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Me either But I'm glad there are other options out there other than B&N.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, they are taking the one nearest me, Rapid City, SD. It was pretty much the only bookstore in the area. I wonder how soon, they'll move in?
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the story i originally linked to is behind a paywall now but it says

Quote:
The company expects to take over the leases by Sept. 20, a Borders lawyer said.
another source quoting the same date http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...59988/1031/BIZ
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's cool. I wish them well.
Agreed. Hopefully, they can make those stores profitable.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
This is some good news. I hope they do well.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yikes! Those are HUGE stores! 30,000 square feet?

Borders closes all locations in ten days, according to an e-mail I got today. So, the timing of Sep 20 to turn over these select locations to BAM makes sense. No doubt they will be back to selling books full time by Hallowe'en!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Here in Albuquerque, the Borders (the two I know of) were within walking distance of the B&N: One Borders across a busy main street from a B&N and another Borders in the same large strip shopping center as the B&N (one on each end). Maybe Borders would have had better luck (and a chance at a Books a Million pick up) if they had put store in, say, the area of the University or downtown or somewhere else without so obvious competition. Also, the Borders stores always looked so poorly maintained and dirty ...

Slightly off topic: I visited a B&N on Saturday to see if they have a book I wanted. They didn't. I know I can get it for the very same price as a download, but whether or not I own it then bugs me. So I ordered it and several others... from Amazon. I'll scan them, OCR/rtf them, and then they'll be mine. If ebooks were less, reflecting no need to use the mails, for example, that would affect my decision certainly, but that's not the case, so...
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
AGAIN I regret not buying into BAM 10 years go!!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
wow, wish they'd have taken over our local borders...
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
BAM is the only thing I have within 75 miles or so. I'm not sure how they will survive when Borders failed. They do have the coffee bar, a large magazine section, lots of "sale bin" items, no music or CD's to speak of, and a large book selection with normal retail publisher-set prices. There is a NOOK kiosk at the entrance but I don't see many people looking at it. Not much difference from Borders or B&N that I can see.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote