Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know for sure that there is no one size fits all CSS. You need the CSS that fits the XML/HTML.
"One size fits all " is a U S Government (PC) mandate.
Everything needs to be dumbed down so a Maroon can do it
So, why wouldn't a consistent E-book conversion be the goal?

The will ALL look consistently like dung , but PC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #17
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Consistency does not have to look like dung.

If you buy paperbacks from a particular publisher then they usually have a consistent style; this is no bad thing, it's certainly not PC, and nobody accuses the publisher of 'dung' styling. Different publishers may have their own variations on a theme but many paperbacks look pretty much alike in their layout.

For ePubs you can start with a simple css and develop your own style/s from there according to your creative abilities. Of course there may been times when you want to do something weird and wonderful with the styling, and given that ePubs use css this is easy to achieve.

If you download ePubs from a website like Feedbooks then they all have a certain consistent style. They look good and work well on readers.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Consistency does not have to look like dung.

If you buy paperbacks from a particular publisher then they usually have a consistent style; this is no bad thing, it's certainly not PC, and nobody accuses the publisher of 'dung' styling. Different publishers may have their own variations on a theme but many paperbacks look pretty much alike in their layout.

For ePubs you can start with a simple css and develop your own style/s from there according to your creative abilities. Of course there may been times when you want to do something weird and wonderful with the styling, and given that ePubs use css this is easy to achieve.

If you download ePubs from a website like Feedbooks then they all have a certain consistent style. They look good and work well on readers.
I will agree that a Publisher (Imprint) has a "General" Style.

Authors, and even Series seem to get their unique "Detailing". (Some don't include this detail when transferring HB-> PB-> EB )

Feedbooks is a nice example of "A touch of Style" without being stripped bare bones like some Epub seem to end up (Are they being designed for tiny phone screens?)

Personally, I like a bit of styling, being sparing (stingy ) on large white spaces
I use small dingbats for scene breakes when the original DT had them (or substitute a similar 'HTML entity' )

The one thing EPUB spec seems to be missing is a Display (visual) option that would allow the designer to fine control features depending on display capabilities: Size, Aspect,color-ability, speed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:07 AM   #19
mboyaci
mboyaci began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
What I was referring to by "consistent output" was simply the size of the body text. I am trying to get the body text on all books to be roughly equal at the same setting (in my case medium). I didn't intend to change any other formatting.
mboyaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyaci View Post
What I was referring to by "consistent output" was simply the size of the body text. I am trying to get the body text on all books to be roughly equal at the same setting (in my case medium). I didn't intend to change any other formatting.
That was my goal too.

My settings have kept the fonts relatively consistent and allowed me a font size that doesn't require my reading glasses to read.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert