Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #31
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Me too if it is from Sony and standard ratio, not like 900.
Yep, though I'm not fixated on Sony. If another company will come out with an 9.7in eInk pearl device, which will have good support for both ePub and PDF - I'll gladly buy from them.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #32
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'm usually like that Oh, if i wait 3 more months, a much better device will be out! Three months later: "but there'll be a better one in 3 more months!"
Absolutely.

A bit off topic however, are you from the Netherlands? Maybe stereoscopic, forgive me but, I love what Andre Rieu does. Have most of his DVD's.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #33
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
I'm usually like that Oh, if i wait 3 more months, a much better device will be out! Three months later: "but there'll be a better one in 3 more months!"
LOL. This reminds me of this ireaderreview.com article I found that might be useful for people who like waiting around for just the right moment to buy new tech.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #34
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
We'll have to move to a bigger boat - not enough space .

...Apart from the fact that this time I'll probably spring for the bigger screen.
Better make it a cruise ship. I haven't found anything yet that's a compelling upgrade from my 505, but the Pearl may tip the balance.

I just hope they don't put a touchscreen on it and ruin the contrast.

And just to be different, I'd probably prefer a smaller screen, but then I use my iPad for larger PDFs. I just use my reader for pouring through streams of text.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:21 AM   #35
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Absolutely.

A bit off topic however, are you from the Netherlands? Maybe stereoscopic, forgive me but, I love what Andre Rieu does. Have most of his DVD's.
What he did was making classical music popular again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
LOL. This reminds me of this ireaderreview.com article I found that might be useful for people who like waiting around for just the right moment to buy new tech.
Fun read

And that's why I bought my JE100 on the day it arrived... No regrets, because it was shiny and now (the same for my Mini...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 02:46 AM   #36
librus38
Enthusiast
librus38 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I too think we shouldn't wait forever: because there will always be a better deal in the future.
That said, I wish the new 9'' screen e-reader (Asus DR900, Copia Ocean 9 and the like) does not take long: at least, the manufacturers give a reliable release date...
librus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #37
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
Quote:
I'd love to see the "old" and "new" kindle DX's side by side. In action, that is.
+10

Has anyone recieved one of the DX's with the new screen yet? I'd even accept a side-by-side with the new DX and the K2 just to show the screen differences.

C.P.T.

Edit: Disregard the question, I just noticed it's not being released until the 7th. I'm sure once they are out there we'll get a side-by comparison.

Last edited by BigWaffles; 07-06-2010 at 01:05 PM.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #38
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I've been wanting a new DX since the international version came out because Sprint coverage is almost non-existent at my house, but I've been waiting for some other improvement to help justify it. This is it. I predict that my wife will break down and give her approval by the end of the week.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:35 AM   #39
ebioman
Enthusiast
ebioman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
Don't think that's the question of the majority of people at all. If that were true, then no one would have bought the original crank telephone, no one would have bought a model T Ford, or the 3" black and white TV, or even a flat screen TV for that matter, a VCR, a refrigerator that used ice, an outhouse, the Apple 1, the IBM XT, microwave oven, wind up watch, slide rule, fountain pen, air conditioner, electric sweeper, pencil sharpener or any else that has improved it design over time.
I agree as well that it can be the question for some people. I just bricked my PRS-600 (R.I.P) and wonder now, whether to wait a few month before buying a new one.
Why ?
- Because there is a lot of movement going on at the moment (prices are dropping and competition seems to increase)

- And because I am defintetly waiting now for one with a good pdf support including annotations.

I guess what I want to say is, that people have different needs and sometimes it could be worth waiting a little and reading old fashioned books meanwhile
ebioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #40
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Great-- now there's the iPad and the Eink Pearl.
I have to admit - Tampax Pearl tampons was the first image that popped into my mind when I heard the name "Pearl".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #41
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm sure that are plenty of photos comparing the two DXs but when I opened my Graphite DX yesterday evening I was seriously impressed. It has significantly better contrast than my original DX and I thought that it had better contrast than my K2US. I can read in lower light without increasing the font size.

It'll be great once the "Pearl" is used in smaller devices but I'm loving my new DX.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #42
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm sure that are plenty of photos comparing the two DXs but when I opened my Graphite DX yesterday evening I was seriously impressed. It has significantly better contrast than my original DX and I thought that it had better contrast than my K2US. I can read in lower light without increasing the font size.

It'll be great once the "Pearl" is used in smaller devices but I'm loving my new DX.
Good to hear. I've seen the new DX and it is definitely much improved. Not planning on getting it myself as it doesn't seem totally worth it just for better contrast alone, but I would also love to see a Kindle 3 with a pearl screen.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #43
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Increased contrast is good. A little more robust would also be good. I have had my Kindle for some time and no trouble but I do nurse it and avoid taking it into hostile environments.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #44
Jux
Jux began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit eSlick
"As the electronic reading market continues to expand, there are more opportunities for expansion not only in the e-book space, but also for e-newspapers, e-magazines and e-textbooks,"

OMFG! Not only in the e-book space, but also e-textbooks?!?!1
They are taking over the world!
Jux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #45
carbonize
Connoisseur
carbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beautycarbonize does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony PRS-600
As others have said if you're going to hold out for the better tech then you will never buy anything. I mean Pearl is good but we already have coloured eInk out there that has a high refresh rate such as Pixel Qi although they still refer to it as a type of LCD.
carbonize is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e ink, pearl