Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
New Fonts for 2.5.x hack... Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants

As the title suggests, I am standing on the shoulders of giants. Having found out though NiLuJe that the book text is called Serif_Regular.tff, I have started on a path that will hopefully lead me to perfecting my Kindle in terms of the fonts I will be applying.

I just found (at request) the Amasis font (apparently on the Nook ereader) and posted it in NiLuJe's Font Hack thread for 2.5.x. I now want to work out what each of the other font names are responsible for in the Kindle's OS... if anyone is able to help "us" with this it would be greatly appreciated (obviously doing it by myself will involve a lot of trial-and-error copy and pasting in order to work out which font files in the [x]:\linkfonts]\fonts\ folder change which particular component of the Kindle's OS).

I have attached the Amasis Monotype true type font... already renamed to Serif_Regular.ttf to this thread... just replace the one you have in your linkfonts\fonts\ folder. That seems to be the only trick to it... I am sure though that some of the fonts that have been supplied for us have had to be edited with font editors.... kudos to those people (all those people... I am new to this so I am not sure who they are).

So now I tread upon the time-consuming (but worth it path) towards helping to perfect our Kindles...

If you have any font requests please do so ask... I will help where I can (however.... I will only convert and supply fonts that have been supplied to myself on the internet as free-of-charge-and-copyright and only supply them where there are no restrictions as they have been outlined by the provider of any such fonts... following such guidelines that I have set myself... if for any reason the original supplier of any such fonts has breached any laws whatsoever, I waive all responsibility to having distributed any such content).

Sorry about the spiel there, but I felt I had to... I am willing to track down and convert fonts for the Kindle provided that are are freely available from the mainstream font sites... I will not provide fonts that have to be obtained through peer2peer/torrent sources... sources that I am sure you could track down yourselves if you are so inclined.

Anyway....

Many, many, many thanks to NiLuJe and all the others that are following this path... I am now willing to stand on their shoulders and do some of the work that they may not have time to do....

Suggestions and requests for fonts are ofcourse welcome, as is Karma, but please... if you feel so inclined as to give me Karma... please supply the same amount of Karma (if not more) to NiLuJe and any others that I am not aware of (but you may have come across) that have put a lot of effort and time into creating and perpetuating the font hacks and fonts for the Kindle... now if only Amazon would listen to us and open up the font possibilities without having to hack (and add sort-by-name to the collections view as well, and incremental pdf zoom and all of the rest that we wish they would add)

Drew
Attached Files
File Type: zip Amasis Monotype for Kindle_book_text_only_file.zip (46.9 KB, 642 views)
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I assume you've already read my previous post (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=97)?

It's not totally accurate/complete, but that's a start
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Balerion
Connoisseur

Thanks NiLuje !!!
You are a legend !!!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
Balerion
Connoisseur

As provided by NiLuJe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
No problem, here goes (it may not be completely accurate):

Sans_Regular.ttf: Used in the Settings & Experimental page for the explanation texts. Also for the dictionnary/note popups.
Sans_Bold.ttf: Used in the menus, in the top & bottom panel, and as the collection title when browsing a collection, and the inline text in the book & collection browsers (ie. the 'delete this item' stuff & co)
Sans_Italic.ttf: May be used alongside Sans_Regular or Sans_Bold somewhere ^^
Sans_BoldItalic.ttf: Used in the book list, for the collection names

Serif_*.ttf: Used in the reader, that's the font your books will be rendered with.
Serif_Bold.ttf: Used in the book & collection browser for the book title & author.

Mono_*.ttf: AFAICT, nowehere except in the browser, but I may be mistaken.
As provided by NiLuJe. Now I have somewhere to start from :-)
Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that, for some reason, the user-input text in the note popups and search/address bar is unhinted/not anti-aliased. So if your Sans_Bold font looks weird there, that's 'normal'.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-30-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
al3bsi
al3bsi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i want arabic font to support book list

my kindle dx 2.5.2 ver”

how i can make it ???
al3bsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Balerion
Connoisseur

FuturaOrto Font Serif_Regular.ttf book-text-only Download

Just found a really nice new font called a_Futura_Orto (I think the "a" prefix is just so its at the front of the website lists). Have provided two versions of it in the attached download (regular and LT Bold). The LT Bold is a bit thicker than the regular, without it being overboard and is probably the nicer option.

INSTRUCTIONS -

This download assumes that you are already using the font hack on your Kindle, and the download is provided as a means of changing the text used for the reading of the actual books and doesn't replace all the other fonts that you have applied through the hack. If you don't have the hack applied, you will ofcourse have to do that first.

In the zip file are two folders.

***If you don't have a handy copy of the Serif_Regular.ttf file that you are currently using on your Kindle, I suggest copying it out of your Kindle before copying the FuturaOrto one into it. That way you only have to replace the one file in order to go back to what you were using before.***

Just copy and paste one of the Serif_Regular.ttf files into your ([Kindle drive #]:\linkfonts\fonts) font hack folder. I recommend trying both, but you'll probably find the LT Bold to be nicer.

Your computer will of course ask you if you want to replace the one that is already there.... Copy and Replace ofcourse. Restart your Kindle and away you go.

Please let me know what you think of the font... I just found a great site, so I'm doing a lot of experimenting atm.

Ciao;
Drew
Attached Files
File Type: zip FuturaOrto Font book_text_only.zip (57.0 KB, 500 views)

Last edited by Balerion; 07-01-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I am liking FuturoBold - I like the other one too, but the size is too small and my vanity prevents me from ramping up the font size through the kindle! And ejecting through Calibre is preventing any of those nasty things that happen when I simply eject through the USB on windows. This method works fine unless I am updating the fonts.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
Just found a really nice new font called a_Futura_Orto (I think the "a" prefix is just so its at the front of the website lists). Have provided two versions of it in the attached download (regular and LT Bold). The LT Bold is a bit thicker than the regular, without it being overboard and is probably the nicer option.
The font is nice, however, without the accompanying italic and bold variants, we get a hodge-podge of fonts displayed when bold or italics show up. If you could get the missing variants, it might be worth using.

Thanks,
El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Balerion
Connoisseur

Sorry, had to go in to work tonight unexpectedly... I'll get stuck into the fonts tomorrow night after work :-) I have the other Futura Fonts... all that were available anyway... will sort them out and post them.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Here are my current custom font settings using the existing font family files found in the other thread:
  • Sans_Regular.ttf: Same file from Museo font family.
  • Sans_Bold.ttf: Same file from Museo font family.
  • Sans_Italic.ttf: Same file from Museo font family.
  • Sans_BoldItalic.ttf: Renamed Serif_BoldItalic.ttf from Fontin2 family.
  • Serif_*.ttf: ???? Dunno what the wildcard does to help clarify so…ummm, I dunno…
  • Serif_Bold.ttf: Same file from Fontin2 font family.
Everything else is left as is from the Mueso font file. I have the Museo as the font face for book rendering and reading. Might not keep it but we'll see how that works out as I spend time with it...

Screen shots (don't worry really SMALL downloads ~15k-30k each):

Might need to do some reformatting through Calibre to get better paragraph spacing as well as maybe try out some other formatting options...still it's FUN to have all the TTF fonts we want...
Attached Files
File Type: zip K2i.font.custom.setup.brecklundin.zip (1.54 MB, 444 views)

Last edited by brecklundin; 07-24-2010 at 04:33 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
Hrant
Polymath in training
Hrant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (Global)
Newbie here...

Drew, I got a bad feeling (a feeling I'm sadly used to) when I started reading your initial post, but then I became delighted: it's very nice to see some respect given to typeface copyright*, since those "giants" you mention in fact also include some -deservedly- legendary typeface designers - people who painstakingly craft fonts for others to enjoy/read, largely anonymously. I happen to be a typeface designer myself; it's arduous work, but *so* easily pirated... :-( The value-per-byte is very high, but most people just take fonts for granted. Honestly, the good ones are worth a lot.

* Karma to you!

The thing is, it's very hard for a layman (in fonts) to know which are legit and which are in effect stolen. Like that "Futuro" thing - it's probably a swipe job... Not your fault though.

Just to be clear, I'm no cop - I'm just willing to help people behave morally if they want such help. And remember: if you/we want type designers to help ramp up Kindle's typography, we need to look after those most qualified to do it. Just sayin'.

BTW, please see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92046

BTBTW, any high-value font threads here I should read?

hhp
Hrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, if you're talking about the fonts from the exljbris foundry, yes, they rock! And (at least for the ones I didn't take from previous hacks) I only used the freely available styles. (And generated crude bold/italic style if they were mising via FontForge). I'm not sure if it's actually completely following the licence, but it is better than simply pirating the commercial full family. (Because If we're going that road, technically Caecilia (the default Serif font) is a commercial font owned by Adobe... But since it's provided with the Kindle, and I'm assuming people who are here actually *own* a Kindle, it's more or less okay...).

@brecklundin: I use Serif_* to encompass the four styles (Regular, Bold, Italic, BoldItalic, since you usually use the same family for all four styles). But it *is* possible to use different families, provided they have more or less on the same scale, and the same character length/spacing. For exemple, I'm currently using Museo Slab for the Regular & Bold styles, and Caecilia for the Italic & BoldItalic styles. (And the full Museo Sans for the Sans_*)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-25-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #14
Hrant
Polymath in training
Hrant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (Global)
Good to hear this stuff - thanks.

> exljbris

Yes, Jos Buivenga is one of the few to provide a basic style of his high-quality font families for free. BTW, I've corresponded with him a lot*, but I will meet him for the first time in Dublin, in September**. So he's a real person :-) trying to make a living in type design; not a care-free hobbyist, not a faceless corporation. That said, your point about being pragmatic is well-taken; at least you care enough not to completely ignore what type designers want.

* Most font designers know each other.

** http://www.atypi.org/03_Dublin

hhp
Hrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
As an OT aside....the documentary "Helvetica" offers some very nice insight into the whole world of typography. I was lukewarm on watching it but learned so much and it certainly was not boring as I had expected heading into the movie. I think it's even on Netflix as a streaming video right now. Don't remember though but I know they have the DVD.

Just think anyone interested in reading might enjoy some behind the scenes peeks into the world of typeface creation and design in addition to the politics, of course, of it all.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote