Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Thumbs up Kindle: Cheap MobileReference collections (Complete Shakespeare, Twain & Dickens)

I know these are public domain but I noticed on the Kindle store, a few MobileReference collections were on sale for very cheap.

Not bad for a nice table of contents and the complete works all in one file.

Works of Charles Dickens (200+ Works) - $1.59 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W7KNN0

Complete Works of William Shakespeare - $0.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WCWVDA

Works of Mark Twain - $0.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UGC14M
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I've picked up the ones for Shakespeare and Chekhov. They're ok.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
For about $20 you can go the Mobireference and buy the collection (about 50) at one time, no DRM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
For about $20 you can go the Mobireference and buy the collection (about 50) at one time, no DRM.
Really? I tried going there and the $20 link (Classic Books Collection.Over 2,000 complete works. Only $19.99) shot me to a $49.99 page.

http://www.mobilereference.com/AllCl...ooks/index.htm
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Really? I tried going there and the $20 link (Classic Books Collection.Over 2,000 complete works. Only $19.99) shot me to a $49.99 page.
I don't even show a $19.99 link. I get:

The largest library for your handheld.
Over 3,000 complete works. Only $49.99 (PRC format)
Over 2,000 complete works. Only $29.99 (PDF format)
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
I know these are public domain but I noticed on the Kindle store, a few MobileReference collections were on sale for very cheap.

Not bad for a nice table of contents and the complete works all in one file.

Works of Charles Dickens (200+ Works) - $1.59 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W7KNN0

Complete Works of William Shakespeare - $0.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WCWVDA

Works of Mark Twain - $0.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UGC14M

Also check out Harry's Charles Dickens. It's some of the most beautiful work here on MobileRead...and it's free.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Also check out Harry's Charles Dickens. It's some of the most beautiful work here on MobileRead...and it's free.
Seconded!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #8
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry gave you the wrong site name...its not Mobilereference (the maker of the collections) but mobipocket.com. Non-DRM and in Mobi format. Under their CLASSICS selection.

Last edited by pagansoul; 05-18-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
pagansoul
Fanatic

Try this site. Sales come and go. If you like the Mobilereference set-up (collections in single file) or just the classics in one payment. Again, prices change all the time. This time it says expires Oct 25th.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...p?BookID=65414
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobipocket05.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	29213  

Last edited by pagansoul; 05-18-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
nsps
nsps began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I'm an ereader-less newbie trying to figure out how to best populate the Kindle I got my girlfriend with a lot of her favorite classics. I don't mind paying for quality editions, but want to make sure I'm not just purchasing a hastily thrown-together version when there might be better options out there—as appears to be the case with HarryT's Dickens collection.

Are the classics collections on mobipocket ever sold at their marked price, or are they just perpetually on sale, with intermittent expiration dates to give a sense of urgency to those considering a purchase? They're currently offering a $20 price on classics collections from both MobileReference (2,000 titles, publisheded 2007) and PowerThink (3,000, published 2004), but I don't know how good either is.

Has anyone had experience with either of these collections, or would they recommend searching these and other forums for better editions? I guess the big problem is that I don't have a Kindle, so I can't try them for myself first. I mainly want her to have a good first experience with the device. (I'll be buying some copyrighted material as well, but consider the vast library of classics in one coat pocket to be the most exciting thing.)
nsps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsps View Post
I guess the big problem is that I don't have a Kindle, so I can't try them for myself first.
Yes, you CAN! Download Kindle for PC here
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311
and view Kindle books on your computer. I have a jetBook that cannot read Kindle books but can't pass up the occasional Kindle goodie that I "have to have". Last night I downloaded a bunch of freebies from Amazon and they look just fine on my laptop.

Merry Christmas and have fun with it!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsps View Post
I don't mind paying for quality editions, but want to make sure I'm not just purchasing a hastily thrown-together version when there might be better options out there—as appears to be the case with HarryT's Dickens collection.
In my experience downloading classic collections, I've found everything at mobileread to be FAR superior to other collections offered elsewhere. The books are nearly always better formatted -- it's what happens when the books are formatted by someone who actually reads it instead of just a flat text file (ie - Project Gutenberg) or scanned by a publisher who doesn't put in the time to properly edit and format the book.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
pagansoul
Fanatic

Mobipocket-new sale ends Jan 3 2012

New sale at
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...sp?Language=EN

Ends Jan 1 2012.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	78268   Click image for larger version

Name:	freedom.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	78269  

Last edited by pagansoul; 10-28-2011 at 08:55 AM.