Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #61
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I just read that Apple is supposed to release a "low cost iPhone" some time this year???? That sounds weird.
I think it's a bunch of BS. But then I feel very different about wireless vs other people and it's mostly me hoping that this DOESN'T happen.

It makes me very angry that people who are on postpaid accounts on AT&T and other places pay a certain amount of money, and are forced onto these plans where unless AT&T brings in the options to postpaid, we can't really downgrade or make changes to our accounts that suit our needs better. Yet, they give these better choices to people who pretty much come and go as they please on prepaid accounts.

I think opening up smartphone usage on prepaid plans was a horrible move. I think that if you can't afford to pay for the data and all the other bits that you have to pay in order to use a smartphone, than you shouldn't even have one to begin with. Prepaid wasn't designed to be for people wanting to save money, it was a service created to help those who didn't have lines of credit, or a background of anything and couldn't sign for the two-year plans upfront.

If every customer was paying $30 a month, these places wouldn't survive. And it's that kind of freedom that makes T-Mobile very unreliable here. There are too many people on their prepaid plans, paying $10-20 a month, and using the free internet, that you get so many outages.

I DO NOT want to be the person that is helping to pay for the greedy people who want unlimited talk and text, when I'd have to pay $40+ more for the privilege to do the same thing and I'm already paying $60. These are not people who are underprivileged, broke, and on benefits, these are just idiots who aren't willing to not blow off their money on other junk to pay for their phone bill like the rest of us.

And I say that as the person who is disabled, on benefits, has two high risk credit cards, built up their damn credit score by paying a card in full every month, and has been on postpaid on HER OWN for the last few years. And I'm only 24.

And my right leg is all screwed up, so is my right hand, I'm half blind, I can barely talk, but I still manage to run a mile to get to the front of a store because I REFUSE to sign the forms to get handicapped parking passes unlike most "handicapped" people. I DON'T NEED THEM, I am not THAT handicapped. I can't work at most places due to discrimination, but I still try and live like everyone else - By going to college and getting at least some certificates and taking one or two classes per semester just to do SOMETHING productive, and paying the same as everyone else. Hell, I don't even use the insurance that comes with the benefits. I put some money aside and save it for those rainy days where I need to go to the clinic of my choice, and to get glasses at the place where I want to go. I SAVE you tax money by doing it that way.

But anyway, they either need to make it fair, or not even give those people the option. Because at the end of the day, you DON'T want the majority of your postpaid users jumping to the other side to pay less and soon enough that will happen, especially when the options are getting BETTER on that side.

/Rant.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 05-30-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:11 AM   #62
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
I just read that Apple is supposed to release a "low cost iPhone" some time this year???? That sounds weird.
was April 1.
maybe you missed it.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 03:33 AM   #63
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Not really. It would open up the low end market for Apple, and greatly increase the number of potential buyers. The hardware is now so cheap to produce that they can give the true iPhone experience, without resorting to slow hardware. Leave out a few specific features, such as Siri, and you have a low- and high-end phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I think it's a bunch of BS.
I don't. Given the number of substantial rumors, there's probably something about it. Normally you can follow the increase of rumors about Apple products leading up to their release, and this is no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
was April 1.
maybe you missed it.
A low-end iPhone has been rumored for years. But now the rumors come trickling in regularly - See above.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #64
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Not really. It would open up the low end market for Apple, and greatly increase the number of potential buyers. The hardware is now so cheap to produce that they can give the true iPhone experience, without resorting to slow hardware. Leave out a few specific features, such as Siri, and you have a low- and high-end phone.
Leaving out software features would make no difference to the phone cost, the software is already baked, it would actually cost more to remove features than to leave it as is - developer costs to update the ROM to remove those features, plus all the additional testing. Not to mention it would go against what apple is - according to them, the iphone is the perfect phone, so removing anything would make it imperfect, right? Given the margins in the iphone, they could just sell it for half the price and make a profit, but what's more likely to happen, in my opinion, is either a price drop on older models (4, 4S), or a new product using cheaper materials (plastic instead of metal, older CPUs, maybe less memory and onboard storage, return to the 3.5" screen).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #65
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Leaving out software features would make no difference to the phone cost, the software is already baked, it would actually cost more to remove features than to leave it as is - developer costs to update the ROM to remove those features, plus all the additional testing.
The point of leaving out software features isn't to make the phone cheaper to produce, but the leave a differentiation between the low and high end models, and reduce the cannibalisation of iPhone sales.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #66
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
... reduce the cannibalisation of iPhone sales.
A bit too late for that, isn't it?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #67
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Leaving out software features would make no difference to the phone cost
Doesn't matter. It is normal for companies to disable hardware or software features on products, and release them as different models. The cost of producing the different products are minute, but the resale price can be quite different.

Quote:
A bit too late for that, isn't it?
Not really, as Apple haven't released a low cost iPhone yet?
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #68
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It makes me very angry that people who are on postpaid accounts on AT&T and other places pay a certain amount of money, and are forced onto these plans where unless AT&T brings in the options to postpaid, we can't really downgrade or make changes to our accounts that suit our needs better. Yet, they give these better choices to people who pretty much come and go as they please on prepaid accounts.

I think opening up smartphone usage on prepaid plans was a horrible move. I think that if you can't afford to pay for the data and all the other bits that you have to pay in order to use a smartphone, than you shouldn't even have one to begin with. Prepaid wasn't designed to be for people wanting to save money, it was a service created to help those who didn't have lines of credit, or a background of anything and couldn't sign for the two-year plans upfront.

I DO NOT want to be the person that is helping to pay for the greedy people who want unlimited talk and text, when I'd have to pay $40+ more for the privilege to do the same thing and I'm already paying $60. These are not people who are underprivileged, broke, and on benefits, these are just idiots who aren't willing to not blow off their money on other junk to pay for their phone bill like the rest of us.

But anyway, they either need to make it fair, or not even give those people the option. Because at the end of the day, you DON'T want the majority of your postpaid users jumping to the other side to pay less and soon enough that will happen, especially when the options are getting BETTER on that side.
Sorry but I don't agree with a lot of what you've posted. The reason postpaid plans are so expensive is because the rates have phone subsidies built-in. I'd gladly pay the full upfront cost for my smartphone (and I do buy factory unlocked smartphones quite often) in exchange for more reasonable rates and plan options. Why should people who never upgrade their phones be forced to pay the same rates as those who upgrade every 18 months? They're essentially subsidizing the frequent upgraders.

I agree, $30 for unlimited everything is likely not sustainable but neither are current postpaid options what I consider fair.

I don't think Apple's going to specifically create a new low-cost iPhone, though. More likely than not, they'd just keep manufacturing older models and sell those at a lower price. The iPhone 4 sells for $450 unlocked while the 4S sells for $550. I reckon the 4S will drop to $450 when the new iPhone is released later this year. I do wonder whether Apple will keep the iPhone 4 and just drop it to $350.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #69
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Sorry but I don't agree with a lot of what you've posted. The reason postpaid plans are so expensive is because the rates have phone subsidies built-in. I'd gladly pay the full upfront cost for my smartphone (and I do buy factory unlocked smartphones quite often) in exchange for more reasonable rates and plan options. Why should people who never upgrade their phones be forced to pay the same rates as those who upgrade every 18 months? They're essentially subsidizing the frequent upgraders.
I wholeheartedly agree. If you want a free (or heavily discounted) phone, then you have to put up with the extra charges that the telcos will throw at you - your "free" phone is not free, you're just paying for it (several times over, by the way), through your 2 or 3 year contract (we have 3 year contracts in Canada). I personally pay for my phones upfront and then pick and choose the plan I like - no contract, no commitment, I'm free to go whenever I please. I'm currently paying $33.50 for unlimited NA calls, global text and unlimited data.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #70
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Apple just increased the price of the iPads in Japan due to the decreasing value of the yen. I knew it was inevitable but I had hoped that it wouldn't happen until some time after the new release of the ipad!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #71
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree. If you want a free (or heavily discounted) phone, then you have to put up with the extra charges that the telcos will throw at you - your "free" phone is not free, you're just paying for it (several times over, by the way), through your 2 or 3 year contract (we have 3 year contracts in Canada). I personally pay for my phones upfront and then pick and choose the plan I like - no contract, no commitment, I'm free to go whenever I please. I'm currently paying $33.50 for unlimited NA calls, global text and unlimited data.
I don't play in the subsidized phone market. Yes I have had them when a company paid for therm but I didn't deal with it personally and where I am now, we get an allowance for phones and it is up to the employee to get service. There are a few in sales and marketing where their phones are subsidized wholly, for these guys are the face of the company and need to look good. In engineering, we do get company notebooks with company air-cards.

But anyway, my point is that I am not really tuned into the way the contracts work. What was very surprising was when I recently found out that if you get say a $600 phone for $200 with a 2 year contract, then even after the 2 years is up, your monthly bill doesn't go down. You still pay that $20 or so each month that originally went to pay for the rest of the phone's cost. Of course you can get a new phone for another $200 but lots of times the phone you want hasn't come out yet or you don't have the money for a new one, and then your carrier gets the extra you are paying in every month.

What I am waiting for is Republic Wireless's new phones to come out which you will pay for up front and the get something like afv001 has, free calls, free text and unlimited data but for only $19 a month. I believe I will then trade in my $20 to $30 used "feature" phone and prepaid plan at 4 cent a minute.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #72
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...my crystal ball app still says June 1....
And here it is, June 1st. Any minute now, Apple is going to hold a surprise news conference and announce the new iPad 5 is here! Can't you feel the excitement in the air?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #73
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And here it is, June 1st. Any minute now, Apple is going to hold a surprise news conference and announce the new iPad 5 is here! Can't you feel the excitement in the air?
Looks like your crystal ball might have the wrong date. Give it a good shake and, if all fails, nothing that a hammer can't fix.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #74
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

I agree, $30 for unlimited everything is likely not sustainable but neither are current postpaid options what I consider fair.

I don't think Apple's going to specifically create a new low-cost iPhone, though. More likely than not, they'd just keep manufacturing older models and sell those at a lower price. The iPhone 4 sells for $450 unlocked while the 4S sells for $550. I reckon the 4S will drop to $450 when the new iPhone is released later this year. I do wonder whether Apple will keep the iPhone 4 and just drop it to $350.
You can do this now, and you don't even need an unlocked phone. I paid $350 for my iPhone 4s from eBay last September and put it on PagePlus standard plan, which now costs me $10 every 120 days. I mostly use my phone as a PDA, use WiFi instead of data, and only make a handful of calls and texts a month, but they have other plans for people who need more. You can also do the same and go on Talkforgood, which are a little more open about supporting iPhones. (It wasn't available when I did PagePlus.) I have several articles about it on my blog for anyone interested.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #75
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Looks like your crystal ball might have the wrong date. Give it a good shake and, if all fails, nothing that a hammer can't fix.
The day isn't over yet. No doubt they will hold a nighttime press conference. But just to double-check, I consulted a The Onion Magic Answer Ball.

"Will the iPad 5 be released today?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	MAB Stabbing.PNG
Views:	166
Size:	698.1 KB
ID:	106507
(Click to enlarge.)

"Could you clarify that answer?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	MAB Helpful.PNG
Views:	188
Size:	697.0 KB