Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
muffinman123
muffinman123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
need an e-reader for journal paper pdf and outdoor reading

pc/tablet screen aren't built for reading under the sun and those that can be used under the sun usually have viewing angle problem

so I expect the e-ink screen e-readers to work, but I have not used kindle or similar e-readers under the sun or to read pdf. for reading under the sun part, I know e-ink screen cover that pretty well, but I need to be sure about pdf readability.

the pdf files I read usually have a format like this

most e-readers have small screens and zoom in is a must if I want to read A4 size paper divide into 2 columns with size 10~11 fonts.

can someone tell me how well e-readers zoom in function work for page size similar to what I provided? I also want need to know how well e-reader handle figures and equations too.

any one use e-reader for journal paper readings outdoor? I could really use your opinion right now.
muffinman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Your best bet would probably be to look into the Onyx M90, the Sony PRS-950 (on sale at Best Buy for $200) or the Kindle DX. The M90 and DX have 9.7 inch screens. The Kindle has some pre-set zoom settings, but other than that is lacking in PDF functionality (it has problems with tables of contents, for example). The Sony PRS-950 is a smaller device (7 inches), but it can handle PDFs well and would probably be good for reading PDFs with columns, as it has a custom zoom for PDFs with two or three columns. It can also reflow PDFs and zoom. You can also try using a program like Briss (it is free software) to cut the margins on your PDFs or divide the page into smaller sections to make it more easily readable on a smaller screen.

A large screen e-ink device should be fine for your needs, I think, especially if you pre-cut the margins with Briss or a similar program. Figures and equations should be fine in PDFs. I've read scanned PDFs and PDFs with foreign, embedded fonts with no problem on my Sony reader, so I don't think that you should have a problem with equations. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience will be able to comment further on the rendering of equations. The main problem with PDFs and e-ink is the small screen size and relatively slow page turns, which are fine for reading linear text but can be a hassle when trying to jump around in a text.

You can also look into the Entourage Edge and Pocketbook 901 or 902. The M90 looks like a really good device to me, but it is brand new so I haven't read too many reviews yet.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, welcome to MR!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
muffinman123

do you know where to get the sony PRS-950 for that price in canada?
onyx and kindle dx are pretty crazily expensive. that sony e-reader only has 6 inch screen but I can't really afford the 9.7 inch which is usually twice the price of 6 inch e-readers
Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I use Kindle DX to read research papers like the ones you have shown and it works perfectly. Text is easy to read and the equations and graphs are displayed very nicely in it. The resolution is enough to display fine lines and small characters (like the greek letters in equations with remarkable detail). Some PDF's offer the option to remove the margins but even when you do not remove them, it is perfectly legible.
The only thing that is missing is the highlight function and notes, but I use Mendeley for that.

I would not recommend anything with a screen size smaller than 9' to read non reflowable A4 PDF's which is the case of journal papers. If you can't afford a Kindle DX or similar, i would stick with paper for now. But if you can, go for it. It is amazing to carry almost all your journal paper under your arm or in your case ready to be read and organized in folders. My desk was never the same after i got the DX...

Last edited by Salgueiros; 05-23-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman123 View Post
do you know where to get the sony PRS-950 for that price in canada?
onyx and kindle dx are pretty crazily expensive. that sony e-reader only has 6 inch screen but I can't really afford the 9.7 inch which is usually twice the price of 6 inch e-readers
No, unfortunately the 950 is not sold in Canada (it is not sold outside of the U.S., actually). You could try ordering it from the U.S. somehow.

Yes, the large screen readers are pricey, which is why I ended up getting an iPad, which offered much more functionality in a similar price range. I had been debating whether or not to get a large-screen e-ink reader for months, but none of the ones on sale at the time seemed to cut it for me. The M90 actually seems the closest to what I would have wanted. No matter, I am actually really happy with my iPad - yes, I would prefer an e-ink screen, but the added functionality that I got with the iPad makes up for the LCD screen (IMO). The DX was on sale recently, if I recall correctly, for about $300, so you could possibly try to find it for that price, and you could check ebay for older models of the DX, I've seen them go for as low as $200. You wouldn't have as nice a screen, but it wouldn't be a bad solution, I think. iRex had some great models, you could see if you could find one of them used for a low price (DR1000 and DR800), but they might be harder to find.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #7
muffinman123

how is the nook e-ink touch reader for reading pdf files? because it's hand scrolling I think it will be easier to navigate once zoomed in.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Take a look at the PocketBook 602 / 902 as well. They can zoom for PDFs but PocketBook also has "Column Zoom" Which allows you to read each column sequentially zoomed to width . So It will start at the top of column one and when you get to the bottom of the column clicking the page turn moves to the top of column two. when you get to the bottom it will turn to next page etc. Extremely handy for multi column PDFs

We ship to Canada
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote