Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #16
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Alright folks, here it comes: my attempt to make localization of the Java part of the KT easy. The idea is to have a single file containing all localizable strings, and to generate a single JAR from it. I have successfully tested the approach by translating a few strings and exporting the result to the Kindle, and it works. It's still a bit rough around the edges, but hey, this is a tool meant for hacking...

I guess that everyone seriously interested in translating can use this to base their work on. If you're on Linux, it should work out of the box. I haven't tested it on Windows, but in principle a working Perl installation (e.g. ActiveState Perl) and a standards-compliant zip executable should do. Be sure to read the included README!

Ready... set... go!
Attached Files
File Type: zip kt-localization.zip (243.5 KB, 366 views)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@diba:

Yes, I have checked, re-checked and verified this: The internal organization of the Kindle 4 is substantially different from the Kindle Touch one, so it is generally not possible to re-use files between devices. I was also speculating about it, but it just isn't possible.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
MatzeMatz
Enthusiast
MatzeMatz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
@ixtab: nice work - makes things really easier

I still suggest to organize translation work - it would be dissipated time if more than one person is creating translation strings for same device, language and ID.
So I suggest that people who wants to translate for a certain language and device should say this here and work together...
I'd help by translating in German

BTW, which encoding is needed for the "translation.txt"?
Would UTF-8 be sufficient?
MatzeMatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
MatzeMatz
Enthusiast

AAAAAARRRGGGGLLL!

I think I bricked my KT device

That's what I did:

I copied the above mentioned file "locale-base.jar" to "/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/" and restarted the device.
The showed International settings where there and I was able to change my keyboard to "German" (other International settings still only contained US English).

Then I copied the file "default.properties" to "de.properties" in "/opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/" and edited it (directly on the device with "vi").

Then I went to my PC, created a "translate_de_DE.txt" as suggested in the README.txt:
Code:
3-join.pl de_DE KindleTouch > translate_de_DE.txt
The I edited the file a bit, translated some strings and then created a new jar:
Code:
4-create.pl de_DE translate_de_DE.txt locale-de_DE.jar zip
At last I copied the resulting "locale-de_DE.jar" to "/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/" and restarted the device again.

Now it happened: it hangs at the "tree image" and does not continue
Any ideas what's going on and above all to make it boot again?

EDIT: USB connection still works - I currently tried to edit the runme.sh script and remove the locale-de_DE.jar file.
But it still does not show me any changes at screen
Here's the content of my runme.sh:
Code:
mntroot rw
touch /mnt/us/rmlog.txt
rm /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/locale-de_DE.jar >> /mnt/us/rmlog.txt 2>&1
mntroot ro
The rmlog.txt file does not exist, so I assume runme.sh is not called at all...

Last edited by MatzeMatz; 12-28-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: More information
Old 12-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeMatz View Post
@ixtab: nice work - makes things really easier

I still suggest to organize translation work - it would be dissipated time if more than one person is creating translation strings for same device, language and ID.
So I suggest that people who wants to translate for a certain language and device should say this here and work together...
I'd help by translating in German
I totally agree about the organization part. In fact, the only realistically feasible way to keep work coordinated between more than 2 people seems to have a distributed version control system. I was thinking about github (or something similar) for the management. I don't have any experience with them yet, but since they're a pretty big player, I assume that they support this kind of collaboration task. Objections or alternatives are welcome, so: any comments on that?

Sticking with the thought of github, it may well make sense to provide facilities for other localizations as well. I doubt that everyone wants their Kindle in german But since we're at it, I guess that providing some kind of "central" would benefit others as well.

Quote:
BTW, which encoding is needed for the "translation.txt"?
Would UTF-8 be sufficient?
Errrmmm... good question. It depends on the target locale of course, but for all "standard" languages UTF-8 should do. Non-standard, by the previous blunt definition, includes RTL languages such as arabic or hebrew, or many asian languages. I have no idea about how the Kindle handles these.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #21
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Quote:
AAAAAARRRGGGGLLL!

That's what I did:

I copied the above mentioned file "locale-base.jar" to "/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/" and restarted the device.
The showed International settings where there and I was able to change my keyboard to "German" (other International settings still only contained US English).

Then I copied the file "default.properties" to "de.properties" in "/opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/" and edited it (directly on the device with "vi").

Then I went to my PC, created a "translate_de_DE.txt" as suggested in the README.txt:
Code:
3-join.pl de_DE KindleTouch > translate_de_DE.txt
The I edited the file a bit, translated some strings and then created a new jar:
Code:
4-create.pl de_DE translate_de_DE.txt locale-de_DE.jar zip
At last I copied the resulting "locale-de_DE.jar" to "/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/" and restarted the device again.

Try this:

Enter to "Recovery Mode" by holding "HOME" button for a couple of seconds while restarting (exactly while the screen flashes from black to white before "Amazon Kindle" logo appearance), then you get this message:
Zitat:
Type ‘RESET’ to reset to factory defaults

Type it then the system reset has been done successfully, and you have ability to use the Kindle normally again.

For more details about recovery mode:
http://blogkindle.com/2009/03/kindle-2-recovery-mode/
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #22
ixtab
(offline)

Ouch.

I swear that all the modifications I suggested did no harm to my device and should have been safe to apply on yours.

Anyway, you may want to try cold-booting the device (Holding the power button for a veeeeeeeery long time, like 30s). Maybe that helps. Otherwise, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161806 might be useful.

Hope you get it working again.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #23
MatzeMatz
Enthusiast

@diba: Hmm - the procedure for the recovey mode is for Kindle2.
Should it also work for Kindle Touch?

At least it does not work here

The screen does not change at all - it stays at the "Kindle" image with the tree.
And it does not flash.

When I disconnect the device from PC and then hold the On-/Off button, the LED next to it flashes green an then went off - I suppose the device switches off then?

I'm not sure with that because it reappears really fast again as drive when I plug it in my PC again.

(and it does not matter if I press the home button or not while pressing the on-/off switch)

Last edited by MatzeMatz; 12-28-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #24
MatzeMatz
Enthusiast

@ixtab: I now pressed the power button a loooong time, about 40s
Nothin happens.
After holding the power button such a long time, releasing it and pressing it again, the screen flashes - but still no change in behaviour
(and the image with the tree is still present after flashing)...
Old 12-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #25
ixtab
(offline)

Does the device exhibit any behavior at all? Like connecting as a USB drive to your computer?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #26
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
AAAAAARRRGGGGLLL!

That's what I did: [...]

EDIT: USB connection still works - I currently tried to edit the runme.sh script and remove the locale-de_DE.jar file.
But it still does not show me any changes at screen
Here's the content of my runme.sh:
Code:
mntroot rw
touch /mnt/us/rmlog.txt
rm /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/locale-de_DE.jar >> /mnt/us/rmlog.txt 2>&1
mntroot ro
The rmlog.txt file does not exist, so I assume runme.sh is not called at all...
Oh, I have the same "bricked" Kindle, which also hangs on "tree" screen without showing progress bar and continuing booting to GUI.

I've also played with localization, but it was before ixtab announced his practical success, so I've moved on my own way. Before the "brick" I've placed additional files at /opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales, tried to change default.properties (with discarding all the changes before "hard reset") and also tried to debug blanket process with breakpoint at langpicker.so.

I think there are two possible ways for recovery:
  1. using serial console to log into system and look at "brick" or current logs, understand what had happened and try to fix it,
  2. using "USB download" mode to load self-built kernel with custom initramfs, mount Kindle root partition and then: look at "brick" logs and so on.

Now, the second method requires further investigation with deep knowledge in Linux and it's booting (and I don't know whether someone moves in this way), so only the first method is ready for "easy" use.

But maybe you'll discover another way to recover. I'll be very glad if you will.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #27
MatzeMatz
Enthusiast

It does connect as a massstorage device via USB.

But it doesn't seem to call the runme.sh script which I put there and it also doesn't react on an ENABLE_DIAGS file which I put on the device.

WiFi is also not working - and therefore I'm also unable to ssh via the WLAN-IP

Does anybody know at which stage it stops working?
What does the screen flashing (and restopping at Kindle image) mean?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Does anybody know at which stage it stops working?
What does the screen flashing (and restopping at Kindle image) mean?
Since all you did was changing some locale-related files, the system must be choking on one of these.

I don't know for sure, but I assume that it is *before* the framework starts to work (i.e. before java even starts). Thus, the locale-de_DE.jar would not matter in your case at all, because it wouldn't even be considered.

This is all speculation, but it *may* be blanket choking on the locale definitions. I saw it acting awkward when /usr/share/locale/de did not contain all the files contained in /usr/share/locale/en.

Therefore, if you have any chance of mofiying the internal filesystem, I'd suggest to either "cp -r /usr/share/locale/en /usr/share/locale/de", or to reset the /var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs locale value to "en_US".

The only problem is how to do this with the limited access that you currently have. Honestly, I don't know
Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #29
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I totally agree about the organization part. In fact, the only realistically feasible way to keep work coordinated between more than 2 people seems to have a distributed version control system. I was thinking about github (or something similar) for the management. I don't have any experience with them yet, but since they're a pretty big player, I assume that they support this kind of collaboration task. Objections or alternatives are welcome, so: any comments on that?

Sticking with the thought of github, it may well make sense to provide facilities for other localizations as well. I doubt that everyone wants their Kindle in german But since we're at it, I guess that providing some kind of "central" would benefit others as well.
I've heard about collaborative translation sites which are helping to produce software localization also. I've never used them, but short googling leads to http://www.crowdin.net and http://www.getlocalization.com. On both public, open-source projects are free. There are should be more sites like them. I don't know how translation process is organized and managed on these site, but it could be more easy to use than github.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #30
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
I've heard about collaborative translation sites which are helping to produce software localization also. I've never used them, but short googling leads to http://www.crowdin.net and http://www.getlocalization.com. On both public, open-source projects are free. There are should be more sites like them. I don't know how translation process is organized and managed on these site, but it could be more easy to use than github.
eureka, thanks for the comment. I knew about this kind of sites as well. In fact, I've been active on babelzilla.org for some projects.
The problem is that in this particular case, it's not necessarily enough to only know the string that you must translate. Rather, it's much more helpful to also have some context around it (even if that's just comments). In the end, it seems to me that a classical source control system would do better at this task.