Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
MeganJoan
MeganJoan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unhappy Help! Kobo is worse than frozen. Borders says firmware issue.

Hi guys!

Firstly I appologise in advance if there is already a topic on this, I could only find topics on your regular "frozen" and not what my Kobo is doing.

Basically I took it out to read on my walk to the station this morning and when I turned it on this is what happened:
http://twitpic.com/1vd5yl

When I turn it on I can see it trying to update the eink but it doesn't work. Then after the time it usually takes for the Kobo to start up I can hit the middle key to select my book and see as it tries to load that. I know the batteries not dead because it seems to be computing fine, it's just the screen that's f'ed and it doesn't change when it's plugged in. I've tried to turn it on again a few times throughout the day in the hope that it just needed some downtime and would fix itself, but no such luck.

I showed the people at Borders on my way home from work and they said it looked like a firmware issue and to call to support line. I just tried to call and they said the line shut at 4pm, which is a ridiculously early time to close a support line!

Since it's apparently an issue that they can talk me through fixing over the phone anyway I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out. I'm working tomorrow morning then going to the movies with my partner and I don't want to spend all weekend without my Kobo. I was just starting to get into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and everything. Sadface.
MeganJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
I've only ever see such jagged lines on image display on physically damaged LCD's and eInk panels. IMHO it is almost impossible that it is a firmware issue.

Most likely you have a crack on the panel, that may not be visible on the surface.

To me it seems the staff at Borders honestly don't have a clue at what they are talking about, which in this case may be a good thing. Good because you can probably convince them to exchange it, where physical damage is usually not covered under warranty.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #3
MeganJoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
I've only ever see such jagged lines on image display on physically damaged LCD's and eInk panels. IMHO it is almost impossible that it is a firmware issue.
I used to deal with LCD warranties and that was my first thought as well. I've been VERY careful with it though and I have no idea what could have happened to cause any physical damage to the screen. I didn't have it in a bag walking around and then I pulled it out and it had stopped working, it was sitting there untouched between the time it worked and the time it was broken.

I've looked at some photos of cracked eInk screens online and I think you're right; I think that's the problem.

Is it at all possible that the screen was damaged during shipment and has been bumped too hard and only showed itself now or somesuch?

Last edited by MeganJoan; 06-10-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Without any damage to the packaging box, ill say its unlikely.

From the looks of it it seems to have multiple fracture points without any surface damage, so twisting is probably your cause. Its possible when it was assembled it was already stressed, and a little knock pushed it past its elastic limit.

But thats just a guess.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
MeganJoan

I'm almost certain they aren't going to replace it. Which has pretty much left me in tears because I adore it but don't really have $200 lying around to buy a new one.

I'll call them and see what I can do, but yeah, it's not gonna happen.
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
Bismar
Connoisseur

(But it was a firmware issue)

If they won't accept their argument back as grounds for an exchange, you could always try reasoning with them, since you have not put it in a bag or put anything heavy on it.

If it was damaged somehow while in a normal usage scenario, then you can argue the device was flawed when you purchased it. Especially if there's no outward signs of physical damage. If Borders wouldn't warranty it, you can try going to an ombudsman or possibly kobo@twitter, since i believe someone with the same issue got a good outcome from that.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
I'm almost certain they aren't going to replace it.
I disagree. From what I've been reading here, Kobo has been very quick to exchange units for pretty much any reason. It seems they're trying hard to capture market share from the entrenched Amazon and Sony readers. So if you do what Bismar suggested, and explain to them you did not drop it or bend it, or do anything that would make this your fault, you should be ok.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
mc5
mc5 began at the beginning.

frozen too

Same thing happened to mine. I've had it for a little over a month, and a call to Kobo had me trying to charge it again (although that wasn't the problem) and to stick a pin in the back (nope, nothing). They took my info and the next day I got a box and courier labels to return the device for a new one.

I hope this one works. I also wish I didn't return the Sony eReader I got for a gift after having bought myself the affordable Kobo.

I was in the middle of The Girl Who Played with Fire and can sympathize.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2715.JPG
Views:	1331
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	53149  
mc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
MeganJoan

I went into Borders today and said my Kobo was broken and is there someone I could speak to about it. The guy on the counter told me to call the helpline, and I said that I'd only had it a week, the hotline wasn't open and I knew they couldn't help me anyway so could I please speak to someone.

So, he got on his little radio and called down their "Kobo guy" who also happened to be the one who preordered my Kobo for me in the first place. I said that I'd had it a week and said that as far as I was aware I hadn't done anything to cause this to happen and showed him the screen. He didn't even question me about it! He said that they didn't have any black ones in stock BUT he did have a black one that had been opened and used on display for a couple of days and had just been sitting there as new ever since. Said I could have it on a loan or even just swap them over if I was happy to take that one. I was so relieved that he was willing to swap it and so worried that on closer inspection he'd change his mind that I took the slightly used one. It looks brand new, and I'm really, really happy.

Currently loading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on there so I can keep reading it while I do my laundry! Now I am completely paranoid about it being super fragile though, so I'm going to invest in a cover.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganJoan View Post
.....loading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on there so I can keep reading it while I do my laundry! Now I am completely paranoid about it being super fragile though, so I'm going to invest in a cover.
First, "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is an excellent book. I just finished it.

As far as the Kobo being fragile, I think you just had a bit of bad luck. I have dropped mine a couple times, once between the bed and night table, where it rattled around and got wedged in. It still works fine with no troubles and my wife had hers fall out of her bag onto the pavement as she got off the bus, it landed face down and she only ended up with a tiny scratch in the plastic, that you can barely see.

A cover is a great idea, but we still haven't found ones we like, but don't be too paranoid. Enjoy your reading!!!
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
MeganJoan

Firstly YES, I am loving this book! I usually read more action packed booked (Tara Moss, Matthew Reilly, Patricia Cornwell, etc) so it's very slow by my standards but I'm completely drawn in and can't stop reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
As far as the Kobo being fragile, I think you just had a bit of bad luck. I have dropped mine a couple times, once between the bed and night table, where it rattled around and got wedged in. It still works fine with no troubles
I've seen a fair few people say that which is why I was so shocked and upset that mine broke the way it did. I'm guessing that I did just luck out and perhaps my original Kobo was build poorly and there was already stress on the screen or something.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kobo-eReader-...#ht_1554wt_981 I'm liking this case, but I'm not liking the shipping time from the US. About to head over to the cases thread to see what I can suss out
Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
sparow0114
sparow0114 began at the beginning.

I found this thread on a google search - my Kobo also displayed a nasty looks-as-if-shattered screen, on its second day of use, after I'd read exactly 10 pages. Sadly, I noticed it at the airport on the way back to the UK (having bought he reader in San Francisco). I'm now intrigued to see what their international help is like....
sparow0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc5 View Post
Same thing happened to mine. I've had it for a little over a month, and a call to Kobo had me trying to charge it again (although that wasn't the problem) and to stick a pin in the back (nope, nothing). They took my info and the next day I got a box and courier labels to return the device for a new one.

I hope this one works. I also wish I didn't return the Sony eReader I got for a gift after having bought myself the affordable Kobo.

I was in the middle of The Girl Who Played with Fire and can sympathize.
You'll have a good case your screen is no way cracked, a connector or two has come loose and as long as your in warranty (1 year) and should have no problem.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #14
peacepod
peacepod began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo E-reader
Cool Same problem, different country

I got my Kobo e-reader for christmas. In fact, it was my only christmas present (because we did a Kris Kringle thing this year with the family and all only got one christmas present).

I am devastated that when i turned on my Kobo today, it now is frozen/shattered or whatever has happened to the ink. The screen itself is not shattered. It hasn't been damaged. I've sent a request to Kobo so i will see what happens. I have hardly used it, and its just been sitting on my bedside table. It hasn't been dropped either.

Alot of your posts were from around christmas time....any advice or news on the outcome ?

I am concerned because Borders in Australia has gone into voluntary administration and closed most of its stores down. They gave me a phone number to call but i think its their international number and no one answered because when Australia is awake, the USA (or wherever the Kobo people live)/ is asleep.

I suspect it might be time to get an ipad...but i really do love my Kobo. :-(
peacepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 AM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Take the Kobo into a Borders store (if you can find one). Alternatively contact Kobo customer support via email and explain the condition of the Kobo. They have been replacing Kobo's with similar problems.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eink, firmware, frozen, help needed, kobo