Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
SmartyGuy
SmartyGuy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
XHTML files not listed, only one HTML file

I appreciate any help one might be able to provide. After exporting to ePub out of InDesign CS5.5, I open in Sigil and only one HTML file shows in the book browser list. No XHTML files show. I don't know how to work with this. I want to use Add Semantics to make Guide Sections and hopefully I'm done. In fact, the ePub is valid (using ePub validator online).

I also used ePub UnZip and it only shows an HTML file there too.

I'm flummoxed; I searched everywhere and can't seem to see anyone else having this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Marty
SmartyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyGuy View Post
I appreciate any help one might be able to provide. After exporting to ePub out of InDesign CS5.5, I open in Sigil and only one HTML file shows in the book browser list. No XHTML files show. I don't know how to work with this. I want to use Add Semantics to make Guide Sections and hopefully I'm done. In fact, the ePub is valid (using ePub validator online).

I also used ePub UnZip and it only shows an HTML file there too.

I'm flummoxed; I searched everywhere and can't seem to see anyone else having this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Marty

Your EPUB is defective?
EPUB can be made up out of HTML files as long as they folly the rules
1 Big file is going to choke portable readers. < 260K per file is a good goal
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
SmartyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your EPUB is defective?
EPUB can be made up out of HTML files as long as they folly the rules
1 Big file is going to choke portable readers. < 260K per file is a good goal
I wonder what caused it to be defective, if indeed it is. It is not possible to work with an html file. I need to have the individual xhtml files. Is there a way to force the xhtml to show?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It appears to be coming that way out of InDesign.
See if the epub can be read in epub reader in Firefox.

If it openable, then just open it in Sigil. Insert chapter breaks at the end of each chapter which will make it useable in ereaders. Unless it is a monstrous book, it shouldn't take any more than 5 minutes. Putting in the chapter breaks will create xhtml for each chapter.

Sigil will happily open html files and then save them as epubs.

Are you trying to use this to create xhtml for other than as an epub?

Last edited by mrmikel; 06-21-2011 at 08:16 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
SmartyGuy

I'll try opening in epub reader in Firefox. Then I will insert the chapter breaks like you suggested and see if it's workable. This version is meant to be just an ePub, that's it.

Thanks for your help. BTW, elsewhere on InDesignSecrets.com someone else is having the same problem with InDesign CS5.5.
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyGuy View Post
I'll try opening in epub reader in Firefox. Then I will insert the chapter breaks like you suggested and see if it's workable. This version is meant to be just an ePub, that's it.

Thanks for your help. BTW, elsewhere on InDesignSecrets.com someone else is having the same problem with InDesign CS5.5.
I am still exporting from IDCS 4. Unless you take some special steps, it exports the whole text in a single file, but it is .xhtml.

One caution:

Don't try to split it up in Sigil ver 0.4.0-RC1 (the most current). That function (file splitting) is all munged up.

Sigil ver 0.3.4 works fine.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
SmartyGuy

Well, at this point, I decided to export the IDCS 5.5 file as IDML and re-open it in IDCS 5. Not much was lost in the way of the new features in 5.5. I exported it from there as epub and boom, all the xhtml files were there. I'm avoiding 5.5 for now.

Tags
xhtml