Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur
Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Computer get Internet from Kindle(SSH)!?

Hello Guys,

Yea, i have a "little" problem. I want to share the internet connection from the kindle over the USB-Cable/SSH/UsbNetwork. The Kindle get the Internet from a Wifi-Stick.

What I tried was:
I installed and configured OpenSSH and when I write:
Code:
ssh root@192.168.15.244 -L 8099:192.168.15.244:22
in Windows Console I get something like that:
Code:
C:\Users\Christoph>ssh root@192.168.15.244 -L 8099:192.168.15.244:22
Could not create directory '/home/Christoph/.ssh'.
The authenticity of host '192.168.15.244 (192.168.15.244)' can't be established.

RSA key fingerprint is 4e:30:f8:bf:3e:92:b6:ad:18:21:b3:47:95:9e:02:30.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/home/Christoph/.ssh/known_ho
sts).

Welcome to Kindle!

root@192.168.15.244's password:
#################################################
#  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# channel 2: open failed: connect failed:
channel 2: open failed: connect failed:
channel 3: open failed: connect failed:
channel 4: open failed: connect failed:
but no Internet. I changed of course the proxy of the browser.

I really looking forward to hear solutions for this problem, thanks!

Regards
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 05-20-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Bagerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagerfahrer View Post
Hello Guys,

Yea, i have a "little" problem. I want to share the internet connection from the kindle over the USB-Cable/SSH/UsbNetwork. The Kindle get the Internet from a Wifi-Stick.

What I tried was:
I installed and configured OpenSSH and when I write:
Code:
ssh root@192.168.15.244 -L 8099:192.168.15.244:22
in Windows Console I get something like that:
Code:
C:\Users\Christoph>ssh root@192.168.15.244 -L 8099:192.168.15.244:22
Could not create directory '/home/Christoph/.ssh'.
The authenticity of host '192.168.15.244 (192.168.15.244)' can't be established.

RSA key fingerprint is 4e:30:f8:bf:3e:92:b6:ad:18:21:b3:47:95:9e:02:30.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/home/Christoph/.ssh/known_ho
sts).

Welcome to Kindle!

root@192.168.15.244's password:
#  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@kindle root]# channel 2: open failed: connect failed:
channel 4: open failed: connect failed:
but no Internet. I changed of course the proxy of the browser.

I really looking forward to hear solutions for this problem, thanks!

Regards
Bagerfahrer
If you want the Kindle to be an Internet gateway, then you have to set it up to be an Internet gateway.

That requires changes to the Kindle's firewall rules, its routing tables, and a couple of network stack control settings.

All the same as any other Linux system used as a router.
Just web search "Linux home router" pick from hundreds of references.

I.E: It isn't a problem, just lack of knowledge. ( PEBCAK )

Hint: Install KUAL launcher and the KUAL firewall -
It is structured to make adding the router rule(s) easy and also protects the 3G network from accidental usage. I designed it that way on purpose (see my signature).

Last edited by knc1; 05-21-2013 at 04:00 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
If - rather than being a full blown gateway - the intention was to create a SOCKS proxy style way of access, then "-L 8099:192.168.15.244:22" is wrong. And if not, then "-L 8099:192.168.15.244:22" would make no sense whatsoever. You might want "-D 8099" instead.

Also, the SSH daemon on the Kindle must be set up to allow this, of course.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur
Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Bagerfahrer can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Wow, that takes a lot... Really hard to understand all this stuff, but i do my best. Like you said, i have in this section a bigger lack of knowledge but i am learning. I hope i can ask this (maybe) silly question to you:

Now, i installed the KUAL Firewall, but after loading it i cannot create a connection to wlan. Now, you maybe answer: "then make a rule to access it", but I dont know how.
I know there is a command like iptables and a file at /etc/sysconfig/iptables but i am not sure what what I should add.
A other question is, what does the Kindle with the KUAL Firewall what the Kindle had not before done and is the iptables file for the KUAL Firewall relevant or where i could add rules for the firewall?

Regards
Bagerfahrer
Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does your wlan have access to the Internet?
If not, you will have to add a "flag file" to the root of your USB storage area.

It is a "do not probe wifi" sort of file name - been asked here a lot recently.
I don't have a link and I don't recall the exact file name to use.
The search function can probably find the posts for you.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
A other question is, what does the Kindle with the KUAL Firewall what the Kindle had not before done
With the KUAL firewall installed, the default is to enable the BBB (Block Big Brother) filter.

Prior to installing the BBB filter, you Kindle could (and would) "call home" each time you enabled a wifi connection.

Now it can't - with the default BBB filter enabled.

You can disable the BBB filter, it is one of the buttons provided.

Then your Kindle can contact Big Brother (a reference to the novel: 1984) a.k.a: Amazon whenever.
Which includes forcing an over-the-air update package on you.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If not, you will have to add a "flag file" to the root of your USB storage area.

It is a "do not probe wifi" sort of file name - been asked here a lot recently.
I don't have a link and I don't recall the exact file name to use.
The search function can probably find the posts for you.
Thread has been found:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199951
Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

Quote:
You can disable the BBB filter, it is one of the buttons provided.
Is this not the feature of this hole KUAL Firewall to activate this BBB?? I am not sure for what I need this firewall.

Quote:
Yes and no. I have wlan which has internet but I have to activate it first. It is an Wifi-Stick (An Internetstick with SIM input. It can create Hotspots and so on.). You put an SIM into it and connect it to usb or electricity. Then you have to activate the connection via wlan with a browser. Not more. So the wlan has at the beginning no internet. Would this be a problem?

What I dont unterstand is, for what I need this firewall? Is it an have must to realize this stuff what I like to build?

Edit:
Ohh I read your comments one time more and this bbb can stop this Big Brother. Sending Amazon information about your Kindle, right?

Regards
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 05-21-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ohh I read your comments one time more and this bbb can stop this Big Brother. Sending Amazon information about your Kindle, right?

Regards
Bagerfahrer
Right!
You have the idea now.

For the times when the Kindle can not "call home" - -
Either becase your access point does not have Internet access enabled,
OR
because you choose to leave the "prevent calling home" filter in place,

Then you need the flag file described here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199951

In post 4 of that thread, stepk describes exactly how to create the file.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

So I looked now for "linux home router" but with no good results. Maybe i am not sure what i want. Is it possible to create a network which connect via usb cable?? Or is the Proxy method a better option? I am really stucking at this, never did this and really hard to understand this high language of internet.

I am thinking. There is a network in windows when i turn to usbnetwork. But this network have no internet connection so what i have to set up that the wlan on my kindle share his internet to this network?

Regards
Bagerfahrer
Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Correct in general.

I don't have the experience with Windows (which one? I know that much) to explain how to make the USB network connection its default gateway and how to set up its dns through the Kindle.

Wait for a Win-Nijia to spot this thread.
(I don't do floors or windows)

Hmm... this one isn't too bad:
http://linux-ip.net/html/routing-intro.html

Last edited by knc1; 05-21-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

I saearched now for solutions. I found 2 methods: make a bridge or via "IP masquerading" but both methods dont work for me.
Of the first one i get when I type
Code:
brctl addbr vhub
the error
Code:
brctl: bridge vhub: Package not installed
. Of the second one I get when i type
Code:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0 -j MASQUERADE
the error
Code:
FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.
iptables v1.3.8: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do
 you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
So in my opinion it is not possible to do this stuff on the Kindle, or is someone other opinion? Maybe is it possible to (re-)compile the kernel to actiavte this module?? (only read something like this)

Regards
Bagerfahrer
Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Code:
FATAL: Module ip_tables not found.
iptables v1.3.8: can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do
 you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
Regards
Bagerfahrer
Correct, that is what you need to do, insmod the required modules.

Which where built as part of the KUAL.system support.
Also attached here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206188
Old 05-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #14
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Bagerfahrer: As I wrote way up above, there indeed is the alternative way of using "dynamic tunneling" (SOCKS proxy interface) support of SSH. It looked as if you were up to something like this in your OP. As for how such a dynamic tunnel (or "dynamic port forwarding") works, just google it.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Bagerfahrer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Bagerfahrer: As I wrote way up above, there indeed is the alternative way of using "dynamic tunneling" (SOCKS proxy interface) support of SSH. It looked as if you were up to something like this in your OP. As for how such a dynamic tunnel (or "dynamic port forwarding") works, just google it.
That would be of course an option, but I think I need a network not an connection over ssh. And it would mean I had programs their internet configuration to set up.

Quote:
Correct, that is what you need to do, insmod the required modules.
yes that sounds easy, only add and load the module but where is the module? I dont find a module at /lib/modules/<kernel>/ what sounds like iptables or ip_tables. So how can I add it? I mean where can I download and install it or is the module already on kindle?

Quote:
Which where built as part of the KUAL.system support.
Also attached here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206188
I looket at your link. It confused me a lot, because I dont understand what you want say me with it. As additinal, my english is not very well so it is a little bit harder for me.

Regards
Bagerfahrer

Last edited by Bagerfahrer; 05-23-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Tags
openssh, thetering