Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-21-2024, 06:06 AM   #1
yottabytes0000
yottabytes0000 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Lightbulb Using calibre as one-stop knowlege management

Hi everyone,

I rely on Calibre as my comprehensive resource management system, given its diverse range of features. I use it not only for organizing books but also for storing various related documents, files, images, and more. Calibre's extensive capabilities enable me to efficiently manage my knowledge base.

I have a suggestion that could enhance Calibre even further. I propose the addition of a feature called "Virtual File/Book." Essentially, a virtual book would be linked to an HTTP URL, and when I access the entry, it would open in a web browser.

This would allow me to seamlessly store traditional books, documents, and associated web links in close proximity within Calibre.

What are your thoughts on incorporating this feature?
yottabytes0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 07:10 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by yottabytes0000 View Post
What are your thoughts on incorporating this feature?
On Windows it's already doable:
  • create a shortcut for the https address, it will be a .URL file rather than a .LNK file.
  • use your preferred method of adding a new book, using the .URL file you just created as the format file,
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-21 225022.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	205950
  • when you view the book, it will open the URL in your browser
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-21 225702.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	205951

The attached zip contains the .URL file I created for this page.

@Kovid - it opens in my default browser (firefox) I'd prefer it used my openers_by_scheme tweak, which is Edge.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: zip desktop.zip (393 Bytes, 108 views)
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2024, 07:37 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@yottabytes0000 - all of my libraries have a long text custom column called #links/Links; so, in practice I probably would create an empty book (i.e. no format files) and put the URL into it - the long text editor has a create link tool which makes it easy.

But the .URL method I just 'invented' doesn't require anything extra, which appeals to my minimalist streak.

BR
Old 01-21-2024, 09:20 PM   #4
yottabytes0000
yottabytes0000 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
@BetterRed, Thank you very much for your URL method. That works really well and it is quite explicit. This is very much appreciated!!!
yottabytes0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:46 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
@BetterRed, Thank you very much for your URL method. That works really well and it is quite explicit. This is very much appreciated!!!
I like it too, here's an icon for the .URL files:

Name:  url.png
Views: 202
Size:  6.0 KB

World wide web icons created by spaceman.design - Flaticon

Put it here:

Code:
C:\Users\<user id>\AppData\Roaming\calibre\resources\images\mimetypes
Quote:
. . .
This would allow me to seamlessly store traditional books, documents, and associated web links in close proximity within Calibre.
If any of those are digital files, you might want to consider storing them in a book data folder, see Adding extra data files to a book

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-22-2024 at 12:49 AM.
Advert
Old 01-22-2024, 04:56 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Aren't all computer files digital?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 05:26 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

But not all files are stored on a computer. Example: player piano rolls, sadly they don't make paper tape readers wide enough to read them
Old 01-22-2024, 07:12 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But not all files are stored on a computer. Example: player piano rolls, sadly they don't make paper tape readers wide enough to read them
But those aren't computer files.

I can tell you how to make a simple piano roll reader. You sure no-one sells a midi interface to retrofit to a player piano?
Old 01-22-2024, 08:13 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I can tell you how to make a simple piano roll reader. You sure no-one sells a midi interface to retrofit to a player piano?
the VirtualRoll...bringing musical instruments back to life
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 02:24 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It seemed a logical thing to exist already
Old 01-22-2024, 03:36 PM   #11
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Aren't all computer files digital?
No, not all (physical) computer files are necessarily digital. There are also analog files, which represent data as physical quantities such as voltage, pressure, magnetic, optical patterns, etc. For example, an analog audio file stores the sound waves as continuous wave-forms, while a digital audio file stores the sound waves as a series of discrete samples.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 04:27 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
an analog audio file stores the sound waves as continuous wave-forms
But that's only a computer file if it's a computer file on say cassette, in which case the analog data represents digital data.

All computer files are digital information, even if stored in analogue fashion like old cassette tapes on home computers.

If it's not computer readable as digital content, then it's not a computer file even if it's digital in nature,

An ancient EEG or weather station recording may not be a computer file.

Analogue dialup modems transfer digital computer files using analogue signals.

All computer files are digital even if the recording on medium is analogue.
Old 01-23-2024, 06:18 AM   #13
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All computer files are digital information, even if stored in analogue fashion like old cassette tapes on home computers.
Not entirely correct: analogue data needs to be converted to become digital information which a computer might understand.

In the old days, people used cassettes tapes to store (file away) computer information in some analogue format (wave-forms). You could play them unconverted on your cassette-deck (remember the awful noise?). So you had to use some special input connector which some circuitry to convert those analogue signals back into something your computer did understand (make it digital again).

Later (Sony for one) special digital audio (storage) tapes (DAT) were developed which stored analogue signals really digitally in 16 bits magnetic on the tapes.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:17 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

All magnetically stored computer files need a special interface / converter. Usually in the drive.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:51 AM   #15
DrChiper
Bookish

Nowadays, yes. The device controllers are little computers in their own respect. But I guess, we are now very far departed from the OP's request

Tags
feature request, knowledge, library