Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-12-2024, 05:46 PM   #1
kshellysn
kshellysn began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab 8
Unhappy author name

I feel like an idiot asking this questions, but I can't figure it out.

I have about 2000 books in my Calibre Library and until recently, all books I import have imported with the author name first then last. That has changed in the last few months and now everything imports as last, first.

I have to manually edit each author and I cannot figure out how to make it stop doing that. To be clear, I am referring to the Author field, not the Author Sort field.

There is an option for "Swap author first name and last name when reading author from file name." I have imported with this checked, and unchecked, and it makes no difference.

Any help would be appreciated.
kshellysn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not the answer to the import part.
But the fix for existing is easy
Quality check Plugin
Step 1 is to identify. Check Metadata: Authors with commas
Select all
Step 2 Fix: Swap Author Fn...

Do check out all the things this PI can do

Why from filenames? Embedded metadata is usually more complete . Tick read from contents in Preferences: adding books
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2024, 03:16 PM   #3
kshellysn

Thanks for this!! It helps. I'll be honest and say I don't know where the "author" field is pulling from, whether it be file name or metadata. All I really do know is I've been reading and acquiring ebooks since I had to read them on a Palm Pilot, and they've always been first-last for author and last-first for author sort. I didn't want to contemplate having t change all the authors I already had and updating authors as I imported them was getting to be a pain.

This plugin helps a great deal. You're the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not the answer to the import part.
But the fix for existing is easy
Quality check Plugin
Step 1 is to identify. Check Metadata: Authors with commas
Select all
Step 2 Fix: Swap Author Fn...

Do check out all the things this PI can do

Why from filenames? Embedded metadata is usually more complete . Tick read from contents in Preferences: adding books
Old 01-14-2024, 04:08 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check the setting in Preferences: Adding books
The state of the tick will let you know.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:44 AM   #5
kshellysn

checked

Yes, the tick box is checked for read from contents
Advert
Old 01-16-2024, 09:56 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Then your publisher / store must have changed. (this is one of the issues that there is no 'correct' way. We can just hope they just spell it correctly
)

Just like: title_series_sorting = 'library_order'
I grew up using that card catalog located in the middle of the Library.
"A" and "The' did not appear first on the Title card.

Phone books were Ln, Fn (White pages)
The current generation wants it the way it is said (Stupid Siri )
Old 01-16-2024, 11:27 PM   #7
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
I've fixed my FN LN author issues for good by following these instructions:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...10&postcount=5

(and I leave the preference at Adding Books -> Swap author... unchecked, although most times I use "read metadata from contents")

Last edited by Comfy.n; 01-18-2024 at 11:31 PM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:19 AM   #8
kshellysn

THANKS

Thank you, I'll try that.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:35 AM   #9
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Just like: title_series_sorting = 'library_order'
I grew up using that card catalog located in the middle of the Library.
"A" and "The' did not appear first on the Title card.
Yup, same here.

Quote:
Phone books were Ln, Fn (White pages)
Unless you're Icelandic, that is
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 03:00 PM   #10
kshellysn

thanks

Thanks so much to everyone for helping me figure it out!

Tags
author name order, import, library