Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-27-2023, 12:19 PM   #1
freeman3
freeman3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Book read status management

Is there an option to mark a book as read, if/when to read it again, etc.?
I did create a new column in the library but is there something some useful?
Thanks
freeman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:39 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman3 View Post
Is there an option to mark a book as read, if/when to read it again, etc.?
I did create a new column in the library but is there something some useful?
Thanks
Everyone has different ideas:

I use a Date field. Blank not finished or even on the device, a date >2000 is a normal date completed. A date of 2000 is Abandoned (I throw nothing away, that column is ME, not others in my family) I have no re-read flag. The trigger for that might be a new book after a long dry spell in a series.
A KISS version would just use a Tri-state YN(b). Blank is TBR, Yes is done, N is Never again

Others track %progress (Kobo utilities has a setting for that)
You have options because of Calibre developers are also Calibre users.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2023, 12:51 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I use a tag and column coloring to mark books as read. Dates are not important to me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 02:13 PM   #4
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
I have a custom column that is seen in labels, with the read statuses: Read, Reading, I want to read.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	111
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	202417  
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #5
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
I have a custom column that is seen in labels, with the read statuses: Read, Reading, I want to read.
I have: Reading, Read, Re-read, DNF

for "want to read" I use #fav (y/n)
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2023, 03:59 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I use a custom stored template, readstatus(), which checks several other columns and then produces a read status based on it.

Code:
program:

if 'dnf' inlist $#admintags
	then 'didnotfinish'

elif ($$#percentread >=#1 && $$#percentread <=#99) || ($#readinglist == 'Reference')
	then 'currentlyreading' 

elif $#readinglist=='To Be Read' && $$#percentread ==#0
	then 'toberead' 

elif $$#percentread >=#100
	then 'read' 

elif $$#percentread == 'None'
	then 'undefined' 

elif $$#percentread >=#0
	then 'unread' 

fi
I use it in various other templates, including a composite column that displays a more readable version (e.g. 'Currently Reading' instead of currentlyreading).

Most users could probably get away with just a composite column.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 11:43 PM   #7
correoparaappzz
correoparaappzz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I use a custom stored template, readstatus(), which checks several other columns and then produces a read status based on it.

Code:
program:

if 'dnf' inlist $#admintags
	then 'didnotfinish'

elif ($$#percentread >=#1 && $$#percentread <=#99) || ($#readinglist == 'Reference')
	then 'currentlyreading' 

elif $#readinglist=='To Be Read' && $$#percentread ==#0
	then 'toberead' 

elif $$#percentread >=#100
	then 'read' 

elif $$#percentread == 'None'
	then 'undefined' 

elif $$#percentread >=#0
	then 'unread' 

fi
I use it in various other templates, including a composite column that displays a more readable version (e.g. 'Currently Reading' instead of currentlyreading).

Most users could probably get away with just a composite column.
where do i put it?
correoparaappzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 11:49 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The easiest way to use it is to create new column of the type 'column built from another column' and put it in the template section.

If #percentread, #readinglist, or #admintags don't exist, you'll get an error.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:43 AM   #9
correoparaappzz

Quote:
The easiest way to use it is to create new column of the type 'column built from another column' and put it in the template section.

If #percentread, #readinglist, or #admintags don't exist, you'll get an error.
ok, but i have my own columns for "#percentread, #readinglist".

so i can just switch them? and "#admintags" are just tags?
Old 01-29-2024, 12:55 AM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Just replace the columns with your own, yes. Be careful to leave the $ and $$s in or it'll break the references.

#admintags is a tag-like column.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:01 AM   #11
correoparaappzz

Quote:
Just replace the columns with your own, yes. Be careful to leave the $ and $$s in or it'll break the references.

#admintags is a tag-like column.
all done.

but am having problems with the "to be read" part, i have a tbr colums that is a "yes/no" with this template: program: contains(field('tags'),'#to_be_read','Yes','')

and i dont know how to make it work
Old 01-29-2024, 01:03 AM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

If I understand your post right. try changing lines 9-10 to this:

Code:
	elif '#to_be_read' in $tags
	then 'toberead'
Old 01-29-2024, 01:20 AM   #13
correoparaappzz

Quote:
If I understand your post right. try changing lines 9-10 to this:

Code:
	elif '#to_be_read' in $tags
	then 'toberead'
everything is working!!
Old 03-09-2024, 11:18 PM   #14
correoparaappzz

hi, i have a column type yes/no for audiobooks and i want to know if its posible to add it to the code?
Old 03-10-2024, 12:03 AM   #15
correoparaappzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by correoparaappzz View Post
hi, i have a column type yes/no for audiobooks and i want to know if its posible to add it to the code?
Forget it, already figured out

Tags
library, read