Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Authors reviewing their own works?

Is anyone else weirded out when authors review their own books? I've run across a few instances of this lately. One some sites, it looks like authors can give stars to their own work (and several have), and on another site I saw a glowing review from an author (if the name was to be believed, middle initial and all) about his own work. It really did look like his writing, as the errors I saw in the book were also present in the review

Is it just me, or does reviewing your own book seem, well, just wrong?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
The only time we had to do that was when we wanted to attach a video to our page on Amazon and couldn't for the life of us find out how to do it other than to run a review. It was pretty annoying even for us.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Not "wrong" so much as the act of a rank amateur that should never be given a penny of my money or a second of my time.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
on another site I saw a glowing review from an author (if the name was to be believed, middle initial and all) about his own work. It really did look like his writing, as the errors I saw in the book were also present in the review
Did he like the book?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Reviews are supposed to be from independent sources, not connected to the authors, so as to provide a fair and balanced critique of a work. (Not that it always is that, as we know... but it's supposed to be.) Simply put, the author can't do that... so their review is worthless.

Mind you, if they're using it like a back cover blurb, those are always biased towards the book. I suppose some people might be thinking of it that way, after all, not all sites give you many options about how you can put your book page together, and some might think of it as fair game.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I wouldn't buy a book if the author had given it a "review". An additional blurb would be welcome, not a "review" though...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
It seems ridiculous. How can you give an unbiased evaluation of your own work? I'm not saying you can't honestly sees faults or shortcomings in your own work, but it's your work--by definition, you're not unbiased. And what would you say about your work? If you say you don't like it, for heaven's sake, who will? If you say you do like it and are proud of it (as hopefully, you should be), what do your words to that effect mean to anyone else?

It's just silly!

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
It's tacky
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
It seems ridiculous. How can you give an unbiased evaluation of your own work?
There is a science fiction short story I read years back (can't remember the title or author) where a guy has written what is widely accepted as the greatest novel ever written-- there is constant praise from all corners for the book, but he is the one person who can never read the book for the first time-- so he goes somewhere (and this is the SF part) and has the part of his memory covering the time he was writing the novel erased so that he can read his own book. The last line of the story being something like "this better be worth it."
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
The only time we had to do that was when we wanted to attach a video to our page on Amazon and couldn't for the life of us find out how to do it other than to run a review. It was pretty annoying even for us.
At least you gave it 5 stars...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:55 AM   #11
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
At least you gave it 5 stars...

Gnarr... well, if any one can advise as to how to add the video without the review I'd gladly retract it from that. I've seen other authors do the videos without needing it

Would be nice to give a non-starred response too.

Anyone care to help so I can remove this blight from the page?

Paul
Old 10-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Very, very bad form. I also don't like the idea of authors soliciting positive reviews from biased friends and family (which I know happens all the time). This latter ploy is harder to spot, but just as deplorable. Reviews should always be impartial and independent, otherwise they carry zero weight and even offer misleading advice under false pretences to lure innocent buyers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Very, very bad form. I also don't like the idea of authors soliciting positive reviews from biased friends and family (which I know happens all the time). This latter ploy is harder to spot, but just as deplorable. Reviews should always be impartial and independent, otherwise they carry zero weight and even offer misleading advice under false pretences to lure innocent buyers. Neil
I just looked at a book that had 4 five-star reviews. When I see things like that, I always check the reviewer's track record. These four individuals (or were they?) had one review each.... all for this book, all within 2 days of one another. That feels suspicious to me. There was one reviewer I recently looked up who had 3 reviews to her name...all talking about the (same) author as if she had never seen such fantastic books in her life! "XXX has done it again! What a fantastic book, blah blah" (no specifics, not sure the book was even read).

But back to the original topic; I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking authors reviewing and posting their own work is over the top.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #14
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Exactly, Grace. Independent reader review should find a Goldilocks Zone where it is as respected and trusted as critical review in the mainstreeam (perhaps, deservingly, even more so).

Those authors who solicit circle-review might do themselves a temporary self-service, but they devalue the whole concept of impartial critique so that, ultimately, everyone from author to reader to reviewer loses.

Informal reviews will become meaningless if this abuse continutes so that the author is left without significant appraisal and the browsing reader without a reliable guide. Why do the major stores have no watchdogs in place? Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Well, I worked out how to purge the review (not that it was... but you know what I mean), now I have to work out still how to embed the video like other books.