Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Kindle at Best Buy

First Target, then Staples, now Best Buy. The only question I have now is "When?"

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bes...k=MW_news_stmp
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
so maybe they were clearing out the Nooks to make way for the Kindle instead of the Nook 2 like many (me included) assumed.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineNH View Post
First Target, then Staples, now Best Buy. The only question I have now is "When?"

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bes...k=MW_news_stmp
Quote: "Beginning this fall, Best Buy will make it even easier for consumers to compare all of the most popular reading devices by installing new end-caps that display its e-reader selection side-by-side, supported by helpful information about each device's key features."

I hope they put them in Canadian stores too!
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
This is good news - I'd love to compare the Kindle 3, Nook (1 or 2 if it comes), and Sony Readers.

But I wonder if they will all really be on the same endcap or not, though. At my local stores, Nook is one side of a pod, with some accessories. Sony is on a separate pod, with various brands of accessories on the back. The size of the pod varies with the size of the store, and I suspect, whether there is a B&N nearby. One mall has a B&N, so BB doesn't sell the Nook, just accessories.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
That's a good idea. Wish someone had thought of it a bit sooner, though. I would have loved to have been able to compare a Kindle, a Nook, and the Sony models side by side before I purchased.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
That's a good idea but that's not how Best Buy works. Store placement on a so called "planogram" is part of negotiations to carry a product, and to feature it. Those end caps are purchased by the vendor. The appearance of an item in a BB flyer -- and in particular prominent placement -- is also driven by vendor cash, not the goodness of Best Buy. BB, of course, makes its own decisions about what's hot and will sell and how margins look: but store and flyer placement are significant revenue generators.

With that in mind, a combined Kindle/Sony/Nook/Libre/Kobo? side-by-side display is unlikely. But having actual WORKING models in one store would be a dream, as far as I am concerned. In Canada, if the store is on its toes, the Sony display is running a loop demo on an actual device; otherwise its blank. All other models (Azurtek, Astak) are locked behind glass cases in sealed vendor boxes. No wonder they sell, approximately, none of them. I think they are just there to say "we have competitive products for you" but only have an interest in selling the Sony.

So, yes -- Kindles in Canada with Sony's and Kobo please! Nook -- never mind: you don't sell content outside of the US.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Yeah, when? I want to buy a kindle if nook 2 doesn't exist.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
So whats the advantage to buy the device at best buy? It seems to cost 0,99 USD more.

Last edited by joblack; 09-09-2010 at 11:16 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
and you get to pay sales tax.

no advantage to people who know they want one. this'll just draw more people in who get to fiddle with it hands on
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
You can return it to the store instead of dealing with shipping and waiting...that's a HUGE advantage to me, I would rather just go to a store then deal with online sales.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I'd like to remind the American contingent here at MobileRead that although in the US you can buy a Kindle at Target, Staples, Best Buy and on amazon.com, in other parts of the world (such as here in Sydney, Australia) you are restricted to amazon.com - and at this rate the situation isn't going to be being addressed anytime soon.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, they have to start somewhere.
Might as well start in the market that accounts for 70% of reader sales right now. Time enough to move on to the other emerging markets once they learn how to handle B&M retail practices.
Historically, online vendors have had serious trouble managing B&M retail which is why Amazon has been ramping up their off-line presence so carefully; first a few pilot Target stores, then slowly covering other Target locations, and now adding large specialty chains that work off their own central depots so they can deal with them direct. It keeps the supply chain short and tight.
For other regions they're likely to need either big, efficient retail partners (not named Wal-Mart) or have to deal with importers and distributors. Either way, it'll take time.
Just nowhere near as much time as their competitors would like to see.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
and you get to pay sales tax.

no advantage to people who know they want one. this'll just draw more people in who get to fiddle with it hands on
Unfortunately, Amazon began to charge NY State residents sales tax a few years ago. It's cut down on my Amazon buying by about a third as there is no clear advantage in some cases buying from them if I can find another place on the web who doesn't charge tax (and there are still many). There may also be a few other states where Amazon charges sales tax as well.

So, if I were to buy a kindle today, I would go to my local Best Buy. As someone else already mentioned, being able to just return it locally if there is a problem is a big advantage.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would check the return policies of the B&M stores and go with one only if it had the same returning policy as Amazon.

I like that is being offered at these stores because it makes it easier for people to look at them and make a decision. People started signing up to show people in their area their Kindles because most people like to touch and hold and play with devices before they buy them. Getting them into more B&M stores is a good move that will give Amazon more exposure.

Given Amazon's delay in shipping there is a real possibility that you might be able to pick up a K3 at Target before you can buy it online. I guess we will see this weekend if the K3 arrives at Target.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I love the idea that e-readers are becoming ubiquitous electronics instead of novelties!
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote