Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
M92 broken - again?

This morning, my screen stopped being responsive, i.e. it now constantly show the same image - and a bad one at that.

The reason I write about it here is that this is the third (!) time this has happened within a year and a half.
Now I am beginning to worry about the cost of repeatedly shipping this unit back to Booxtor... it shall end up costing me more than the unit itself, and I cannot keep paying this 're-activation fee'; and if this keeps happening every half year, well, my warranty shall run out.

Here are the symptoms (throughout which the screen stays the same - see image.):

* Browsing yesterday, used the back button, gave this screen.
* Can switch off the unit holding the button down. Light come on a while
* Can switch the unit back on, light come on for some 10 secs.
* Tried reset, no difference.
* Tried charging again (unit was charged almost fully when this happened, though).
* Tried hitting the screen refresh button on-screen (where I know it should be); no reaction.
* The screen does not appear physically broken in any way.
I always - and only - keep the unit on my bedside table, always in the cover, and there is no misuse, bad treatments, drops onto the floor, or any other abused. Short of keeping it in cotton wool and not using it, it could not have been more carefully treated.

I welcome any thoughts you might have, both on the current technical issue, but also on the bigger picture (e.g. do I junk this and buy something else, or...).

Also, I would like to hear Booxtor's thoughts on this. I do see a few other complaints here about what looks to be the same issue, so could there be a faulty batch (I ordered one of the early ones).
Or maybe you keep repairing the 'symptom' while there is an underlying issue that causes this?
As I remarked last time, we cannot keep doing this dance every half year. It costs me - and presumably you too - money I am less and less inclined to spend on this, and I am beginning to be a very unhappy customer with this unit. (Can you blame me? Another summer vacation where I have to revert to paper books!)

Thanks.
CJY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m92_screen.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	107361  

Last edited by CJY; 06-26-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Image issues.
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
This morning, my screen stopped being responsive, i.e. it now constantly show the same image - and a bad one at that.
Also, I would like to hear Booxtor's thoughts on this. I do see a few other complaints here about what looks to be the same issue, so could there be a faulty batch (I ordered one of the early ones)
CJY
Hi,

sorry you are hit by this bad luck again.
In you case I guess the problem is not in the screen but most likely in the main board (PCB). I saw already such a picture a couple of times. It would be a warranty case and could be repaired for free. Please contact our maintenance office.

Also my suggestion for the future - please save your time and contact your supplier first. Requests and problem tickets in the store directly will be always processed first. Postings in forums could be easily overlooked.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

sorry you are hit by this bad luck again.
In you case I guess the problem is not in the screen but most likely in the main board (PCB). I saw already such a picture a couple of times. It would be a warranty case and could be repaired for free. Please contact our maintenance office.

Also my suggestion for the future - please save your time and contact your supplier first. Requests and problem tickets in the store directly will be always processed first. Postings in forums could be easily overlooked.
Booxtor, thanks for you reply.
I was - of course - going to post a ticket for you as well, but the reasons for posting here are stated in my initial post.

Your suggestion is of course valid, but it really does not address my main concern (which might likely be of concern to others here): do we just keep doing this over and over? My warranty runs out in about half a year, and if this happens again, then what?
If you feel this issue is better addressed in private, fine, let me know, but...

I am not having a go a you personally - in my experience you are one of the good guys - but surely you can see my point too?

Cheers!
CJ
Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
I know it doesn't help your M92 issue, but I feel your pain. Mine is headed for the shop a 2nd time.

My tablet has taken up a good deal of the slack, but it just doesn't work in sunlight.
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
I know it doesn't help your M92 issue, but I feel your pain. Mine is headed for the shop a 2nd time.

My tablet has taken up a good deal of the slack, but it just doesn't work in sunlight.
It may not help my tablet, but it is nice of you to sympathise nevertheless, cheers.

Booxtor has come through for me on this one; we shall see about the long-term issue. Of course, I hope there won't be any.

Yup, my gf must be missing her tablet as I am monopolising it these days!

CJ
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I am seeing a pattern here.
Mine died around two weeks ago, see my latest posts
I am afraid that this is a design problem

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 07-02-2013 at 05:44 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I am seeing a pattern here.
Mine dies around two weeks ago, see my latest posts
I am afraid that this is a design problem
I have a theory about charging and heat, but I shall await Boxtoor's report back before I post details and start a panic.

Cheers!
CJ
Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
CJY
Zealot

The Twilligth Zone is with us!
When the unit arrived in Booxtor's capable hands, weirdness ensued and the thing just worked... just like that.

Anyway, Booxtor checked it out, changed a few components (one big one, actually) just in case, and shipped it back.

I just got it back today, and it seems to work just fine.

Of course, I still worry that I shall have an issue again in half a year's time, but I have to say that I am happy that I bought from Booxtor, as he has been absolutely splendid throughout this ordeal. It has been fast, competent, and with no expenses for me at all, so a big cheer for that!

As an aside: barely had I received my reader back before I decided to drop the Nexus 7, I have been using in the interim, on the floor; now that has to go back for repair, but I only have myself to kick over it... sigh...

Cheers!
CJ