Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Subterranean Press joins Baen's Webscriptions

The deal was announced a while ago but now you can actually buy some books. They even have a Baen-style six-book bundle and eARCs.

http://www.webscriptions.net/m-6-sub...ean-press.aspx

I hope this is just a beginning. I've been planning to reread some Orson Scott Card and would love to do that on my Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This will be nice, since almost everything they publish is short run, limited, & high cost. I picked up Elizabeth Bear's 'New Amsterdam' for $5, which cost me a bundle in HC a year or two ago.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Ofoghlu
Ofoghlu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EBook Reader
Picked up the monthly bundle 6 books for 24 USD great new authors.

df
Ofoghlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I didn't get any of the Subterranean titles, but this reminded me that I'd been meaning to pick up some Meisha Merlin titles as soon as I'd gotten a bit of spare cash, so I did that.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, Liaden series is really great.
BTW, if you finished them all and suffer from Liaden withdrawal, check this out:
http://www.korval.com/fledgling/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I was stocking up on P.C. Hodgell.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
And here I bought the last P.C. Hodgell as a paper book when I heard that Meisha Merlin was no more. I was worried that it would be impossible to get the book in the future. I really hope that P.C. Hodgell can continue the series know that Meisha Merlin is not publishing her.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yes, that was a pleasant surprise, a great first bundle.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
lawizard50
lawizard50 began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 8700c
I have always loved Baen books and now have a new reason to buy from them.
lawizard50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I wish they'd get TOR back. Anyone heard anything new on that?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They have a few Tor books available for purchase, perhaps most notably David Weber's recent Off Armageddon Reef

Here's some more info: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13057
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #12
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
The TOR deal is ont dead, but Toni Weisskopffs husband died so there will probably some delays.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:20 AM   #13
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
I think if you check into "Readerware" you will find they have a cataloging system that can be run on a PDA or your computer. They also sell a version with a bar-code scanner. About $90 if I recall correctly.

Red
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
I have no specific new information on Tor and webscriptions (since September).

However ...

Tor's previous venture into webscription was intended as an experiment. If they've got the go-ahead to do a full scale venture, then they need to have the production team in place to pump out up to 25 books a month, and they need an appropriate storefront. Tor are a big publisher; they're not, in my view, going to be content to piggy-back on Baen's web presence the way that SRM or Subterranean are. But doing this sort of thing properly is not simply a matter of buying a copy of Mobipocket Publisher and hitting the big red button -- they're going to have to put a lot of work into making everything run smoothly. So it's hardly surprising that it's taking them a while to get everything sorted out.

My guess is that when they're ready to roll, the first sign will be that Tor do a major relaunch on their web presence. Betcha that if and when it happens, you'll drill down a level and run into lots of webscription-powered goodness. Betcha they've also been studying the dynamics of web-based communities (such as Baen's Bar) and they'll be aiming to establish one of their own, only bigger and better than anything any publishing company has ever done before. But that kind of thing takes time to set up ...
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I noticed that a few of Charles de Lint's books, including some published in paper by Tor, are available at Fictionwise (2), Mobipocket (3) and Amazon Kindle (6). I wonder if this indicates that Tor is experimenting with a couple of ebook publishing channels?