Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #196
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
With January quickly coming to a close, I wonder how you all feel about your chosen challenges.

After waffling back and forth I finally decided, the other day,that I will once again reach for that elusive 100 books mark.

That being said, I've already made one misstep: The Iliad. I've put it on the back burner. I just couldn't keep up due to my wanting to read other things (namely, The Dresden Files). I do plan on returning to it at some point (probably the summer).

As to the rest of my challenge, I'm leaning towards reading the Percy Jackson series once I'm done with Dresden, and I think I'm going to move Rachel Morgan to the end of my series list. I'm not ready to reread her, again.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #197
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
With January quickly coming to a close, I wonder how you all feel about your chosen challenges.
I'm still happy with my challenges. I designed most of my series challenges as "try it and see" so that I wouldn't feel locked in to reading those. My Amazon Freebies Decimation challenge isn't making much progress, but I knocked quite a dent in the Harlequin Decimation challenge.

I've read 15 total books so far. I know I won't be able to maintain my current pace for long (especially since there might be a new job on the horizon) so I'm happy I came out of the gate at top speed. It'll help later.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #198
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm still happy with my challenges. I designed most of my series challenges as "try it and see" so that I wouldn't feel locked in to reading those. My Amazon Freebies Decimation challenge isn't making much progress, but I knocked quite a dent in the Harlequin Decimation challenge.

I've read 15 total books so far. I know I won't be able to maintain my current pace for long (especially since there might be a new job on the horizon) so I'm happy I came out of the gate at top speed. It'll help later.
15! Nice!!! Those freebies will get you every time! I've just stopped looking at them, for fear my hard drive wiill expolde!

Good luck and congratulations on the (possible) new job. I'll be cheering for you.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #199
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Well, the overall reading volume is OK -- I doubt I'll have any difficulty reaching 100 books, though that wasn't really a specific goal.

I'm doing only so-so on reducing the TBR. I haven't bought many books, but I have gotten several from the library so my overall TBR is actually up a bit. And I'm definitely not doing as well as I'd planned on reading more classics. It's hard, I've got too many exciting things in myTBR.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #200
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, the overall reading volume is OK -- I doubt I'll have any difficulty reaching 100 books, though that wasn't really a specific goal.

I'm doing only so-so on reducing the TBR. I haven't bought many books, but I have gotten several from the library so my overall TBR is actually up a bit. And I'm definitely not doing as well as I'd planned on reading more classics. It's hard, I've got too many exciting things in myTBR.
Sounds like your "Classics" challenge is closer to the "I should" category, than the "I want" category at the moment. Just give your self time...I'm sure if its a real "want", you'll get in the mood to read a few of them.

Reducing one's TBR feels almost impossible with so many freebies and library options available. You might have to make a specific list and stick to it, to get that to work.

Continued luck!
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #201
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
My first goal is to read 10000 pages this year, I'm ahead of schedule at the moment.

My second goal is to bring back the number of series I'm reading. I haven't made much headway on that. I hope to finish The Girl Who Played With Fire today and start with the final book of the Millennium trilogy.

That being said, in comparison to last year I've slowed down a lot. I'm not surprised by this because for a year I read almost every time I had nothing to do, it surprised me it took me a year before I had a burn-out.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #202
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Quote:
Still think I'll hit one-hundred, five so far with another half-finished is pretty good going for a typical January for me, what with my second semester of uni starting. Think I'll probably hit seven, maybe eight, depending on how much I have to do over the next few days. If I hadn't read Gardens of the Moon I would suspect I'd have read a few more, but I don't want to sacrifice reading longer/denser books for the sake of the challenge, so if that's the cause of my not hitting one-hundred I won't mind too much.

The first few months will always be a bit slow for me (with the start of May being almost non-existent due to exams) but I have roughly four months off over the summer which is when I'll get the bulk of the challenge done.
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #203
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post

Quote:
15! Nice!!! Those freebies will get you every time! I've just stopped looking at them, for fear my hard drive wiill expolde!

Good luck and congratulations on the (possible) new job. I'll be cheering for you.
. Good luck with the job!

I have reduced my challenge to 75 books (it was 100 in 2011), which is still 6 a month, and so far have only read 2 books, so I'm falling behind already. Not exactly sure why - I have read a couple of short stories which I'm not counting, and listening to a bit more radio, so that is having an impact. I'm sure I'll make up lost time soon .

Otherwise, I'm happy with the challenge. Having a selection of named books is helping me to decide what to read next, so that's .

Last edited by orlok; 01-24-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: clarification
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #204
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I'm already 2 books behind, lol! I hope that I will be able to make the goal but *shrug*

I've decided to add some educational books and classes to my challenge now. With Apple opening up university classes to the general public...I'm gonna take some lecture time.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #205
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished Assassin's Apprentice, the first Farseer book by Robin Hobb. A very mixed blessing. I'm not sure I'll read the 2nd and 3rd volumes in the trilogy, but I did manage to actually finish this one.

Next up: I'm not sure. I've got a Temeraire book, the Agatha Christie And Then There Were None, a Sara Paretsky, an Elmore Leonard, and several others that are high up on my TBR list.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #206
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I didn't set a specific number of books, but I read 52 last year. I'm at 10 already, but that is not going to continue. 50 will still be a good number to complete.

I finished up Markus Zusak, The Book Thief. A wonderful book. As some had pointed out, it was a little slow moving to start and at times the writing style seemed choppy to start, but the phrasing caught with me and so did the storyline. Recommended highly.

I also read Ted Hughes, Birthday Letters which I really wanted to read. I wasn't disappointed. Apologies to the Literary Book Club as I choose my nomination over Whitman to read for poetry.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #207
Nyssa
Series Addict

I want to wish everyone continue success and encouragement towards their goals this year. Whether its 10 books or 100, I hope your reading fills you with enjoyment and/or wisdom that you may carry with you.

Very Happy Reading!!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #208
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Finished Assassin's Apprentice, the first Farseer book by Robin Hobb. A very mixed blessing. I'm not sure I'll read the 2nd and 3rd volumes in the trilogy, but I did manage to actually finish this one.

Next up: I'm not sure. I've got a Temeraire book, the Agatha Christie And Then There Were None, a Sara Paretsky, an Elmore Leonard, and several others that are high up on my TBR list.
I read this...and I had a similar reaction. I still haven't gotten to the rest of the books though a lot of people push them towards me.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #209
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
Quote:
I am currently on pace to meet the challenge I set, but that might not last. I have signed up for an evening course that will interfere with reading for one evening a week.

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #210
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I read this...and I had a similar reaction. I still haven't gotten to the rest of the books though a lot of people push them towards me.
This is my second try with Ms. Hobb. First was a complete non-starter. This? I'm not sure. But I suspect I'll probably go back to finish the trilogy if I ever get caught up on my TBR. (Yeah, like that will happen. )