Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 04:53 AM   #271
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I think he means that a new store will sell its contents through BlueFire.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #272
wajordan
wajordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Books-A-Million App

Micah:

It's nice to see that Books-A-Million recognised what a wonderful app Bluefire Reader is.

wj
wajordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #273
johnstu
johnstu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505, iPhone, Kindle 2, iPad 2
I've been able to bypass the computer entirely when borrowing a book from the library

Firstly can I say thanks to Micah and his colleagues for such a great app.

I'm pretty happy because I've been able to complete the selection, download and starting to read an ebook from Surrey Libraries to my iPhone without touching the computer.While other people have posted about getting the book after using a computer to upload the .acsm file to Dropbox, I don't think anyone else has posted about using the idevice to get the .acsm into dropbox. Here's how I did it:

I used three apps
Dropbox (free)
Trackr ~ Dropbox uploader (£1.19)
and of course
Bluefire reader (free)

Most folks are probably familiar with Dropbox, and everyone on this thread is familiar with Bluefire; Trackr, you may not know (I didn't until this afternoon) it allows you to upload items from the web to dropbox using the iDevices.

First step is to launch Trackr and navigate to your library's website (it was my first time using Trackr so I just used the Google link on the homescreen and got to Surrey Libraries from there).

Once at the library website on the browser within Trackr find a book you want and check it out in the normal fashion. Then, on the download page you hit the icon in the top right corner (sort of like wifi in an intray) then click on the download link. Select "Upload to Dropbox" . This will save the .acsm file to your Dropbox account (it lets you create a Dropbox account if you don't already have one).

Open the Dropbox app and go to the Trackr folder which should have been created. Locate the .acsm file in there and select it. It should open as a text file. click the forward icon in the bottom right hand corner this gives you the option to open in Bluefire. Do that.

Bluefire should open automatically and download the book. Ta-daa finished.

Am a bit annoyed that this method meant that the only person who made any money out of me here was the Trackr chap, I don't begrudge him his money but would have preferred to have given some to Bluefire if anyone is getting any.

Last edited by johnstu; 11-28-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Clarification
johnstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #274
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Wow, thanks johnstu, that is great info! I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for posting such wonderful directions. I also agree about the money. I have said before I would be happy to pay for BF to support the great job they have done bringing this capability to us. I guess we can support them by buying a few books through the in app store soon.
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #275
steph_g
Book Lover

Another way

After reading johnstu's directions for using dropbox to download the library books, it occurred to me that icab browser supports downloads and can be linked to dropbox, so I tested it out. First, I downloaded the dropbox app, created an account, linked the account in icab, then found a book on my local library's site. I downloaded the file in icab, uploaded it dropbox (icab creates a folder in dropbox), then chose to open the file in BF Reader which worked perfectly! And I didn't have to buy another app because I already use icab. So I hope that helps someone else bypass having to connect to their computer when downloading a library book. I assume it will work with any overdrive system - I used the Phoenix Library to do this. And thanks again, Johnstu, for the idea!

Last edited by steph_g; 11-28-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #276
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Tried it but wouldn't work. Got as far as opening in blue fire then just says downloading until it crashes.
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #277
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Ok it worked but crashed about 10 times first
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #278
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I want to chime in to add my thanks to johnstu for the tip on trackr.

One word of caution, though: The first Overdrive library system I went to ID'd the trackr browser as being from a mobile device. And, since Overdrive has changed their software to only offer those formats downloadable to a particular device, the only e-books I could see/look at were MP3s (Overdrive doesn't have anything available to read epubs/PDFs/etc). Unless I was missing something, I could not find a way to have trackr ID itself as anything other than a mobile web browser.

So, I couldn't even browse to see if trackr would have worked to send the .ascm file to Dropbox. I am going to see if trackr will send other files - just doesn't seem to work for Overdrive browsing/borrowing. Or, at least for that one library...

Which is why I also want to thank steph_g for her tip about using iCab. I used that app just fine to download the .ascm file to my iPad. Once it downloaded within the iCab app, I opened the file with the BlueFire app with no problem. So, it's iCab with the win ... for me.

I don't really know why it's so exciting to be able to download library books straight to my iPad (without having to use my PC); I much prefer reading e-books on my PB360. Snicker. I guess it's just because I can...

So, again, thanks much to johnstu and steph_g for their research and discoveries. Yay!
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #279
steph_g
Book Lover

I'm glad my twist on the original info was helpful. Also, in icab you can change how the browser identifies itself to websites, so that may be useful to some people if they run into problems with that.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #280
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Has the crash on exit when jailbroken been fixed? This is what is stopping me from using BF on my iPhone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #281
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has the crash on exit when jailbroken been fixed? This is what is stopping me from using BF on my iPhone.
Did you try the workaround of adding an exception for BlueFire in Backgrounder and set its backgrounding mode to "None" rather than Native? Oddly, I didn't have the hang with Feedbooks-downloaded books, but as soon as I copied my own books into the reader I immediately got the hang. Adding the Backgrounder exception got rid of the hang for me.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #282
mallard13
mallard13 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S, Palm Tx & 1st Gen iPod Touch
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstu View Post
Firstly can I say thanks to Micah and his colleagues for such a great app.

Big snip.........

Open the Dropbox app and go to the Trackr folder which should have been created. Locate the .acsm file in there and select it. It should open as a text file. click the forward icon in the bottom right hand corner this gives you the option to open in Bluefire. Do that.

Bluefire should open automatically and download the book. Ta-daa finished.

Am a bit annoyed that this method meant that the only person who made any money out of me here was the Trackr chap, I don't begrudge him his money but would have preferred to have given some to Bluefire if anyone is getting any.
I too thank Micah & his team for creating Bluefire.

I was very interested in trying the Dropbox method of transferring a library book to Bluefire on my iPod Touch - 1st Gen.

I finally had a chance to try it just now, but.....
there is no Forward Icon in the lower right corner of the Dropbox app when I open the acsm file in Dropbox. Anyone with any idea why this is missing or what I might be doing incorrectly?
mallard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #283
steph_g
Book Lover

As a followup to my earlier post about downloading library books, I just realized that you can choose to open the file in Bluefire right from icab without even using dropbox, so the whole process just got even easier! I tested it out and it worked fine for me on my iPad.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #284
mallard13
mallard13 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S, Palm Tx & 1st Gen iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaynard View Post
I found it !!!
I had been using the gmail app to read my mail, and it didn't offer the "open with" option. When I use the regular old mail reader that came with the iPod - SUCCESS!!

It's easy and works.

I'm chuffed!!
Thanks
<sigh> After failing with the Dropbox technique I tried the email technique on my 1st Gen iPod Touch. No luck there either. The acsm file didn't show up as a 'active' file, so nothing happened when I tapped it. The pdf file attachment opened as blank pages. I'm not using the gmail app, but am using the iPod email reader set up for gmail. I wonder why the attached file isn't 'active'.

Finally, when I connect my iPod to my PC, there is no Documents pane when I select Bluefire under the Apps tab for my device in iTunes, so I cannot transfer the book that way either.

Frustrated.
mallard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #285
steph_g
Book Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard13 View Post
<sigh> After failing with the Dropbox technique I tried the email technique on my 1st Gen iPod Touch. No luck there either. The acsm file didn't show up as a 'active' file, so nothing happened when I tapped it. The pdf file attachment opened as blank pages. I'm not using the gmail app, but am using the iPod email reader set up for gmail. I wonder why the attached file isn't 'active'.

Finally, when I connect my iPod to my PC, there is no Documents pane when I select Bluefire under the Apps tab for my device in iTunes, so I cannot transfer the book that way either.

Frustrated.
Sorry you're frustrated. Are you using the latest versions of everything? Try the icab method I mentioned above and see if that works for you - hope it does! Maybe your iPod is too old to support this?