Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2011 MobileRead Book Club Vote (Classics)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 4 5.06%
The Iliad by Homer 7 8.86%
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 13 16.46%
The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie 9 11.39%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 2 2.53%
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 2 2.53%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 12 15.19%
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 10 12.66%
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller 11 13.92%
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf 9 11.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Yes, I like your suggestions, but without the fourth option if the poll will be binding. I'd hate for anyone to lose their vote since "other" wouldn't really be a winnable category.

And though it's a bit of "did the chicken or egg come first?", I'd suggest a hidden vote for this poll so that people vote their heart without regard to poll results so far. Perhaps also keep it open for a good while - at least two weeks or more - to give all our various members a chance to see it and vote.
I understand what you mean.

I put the "Other" in there becuase I know, there are 3 categories that I would love to have a blind vote all the time, if possible:

January: Wild Card, April: Humor & August: Free For All (any genre).

Where as March: Nonfiction makes more sense as a viewable genre, to me.

There might be other people who have similar ideas, so giving them that option allows us to discuss it, at least.

Of course, it could just be me, in which case the other 3 options are fine.

Last edited by Nyssa; 11-21-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It sounds good, though I do like the suggestion of alternating months between hidden and open polling. Then every other month we could see the votes as they're coming in.

But for the hidden polls, yes I positively prefer the thread being open to people posting whatever they like about their personal preferences.
The results are in. They've been in since the end of the poll.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...17#post1841117
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not necessarily. Because if the vote were public, you may not have been the only one to cast a different vote. A book not in the top two from the hidden vote may have won, or the one that won by tie-breaker with the hidden vote may have won outright by a larger margin.
Very true. Others may very well have cast different votes and thus Nyssa's vote for #2 would have more no difference.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #34
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I understand what you mean.

I put the "Other" in there becuase I know, there are 3 categories that I would love to have a blind vote all the time, if possible:

January: Wild Card, April: Humor & August: Free For All (any genre).

Where as March: Nonfiction makes more sense as a viewable genre, to me.

There might be other people who have similar ideas, so giving them that option allows us to discuss it, at least.

Of course, it could just be me, in which case the other 3 options are fine.
Ah. Well, we could make the third option something more general like "a combination of open and hidden voting". Then, if it wins, we could discuss what combination is most wanted. The pure alternating suggestion was only to be simple if we're using both kinds of polls.

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-21-2011 at 05:27 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Hidden polls are the only truly fair type of polls we can have here. We've already had people saying they let their votes be swayed by the current results. So that basically means the winning book is not the book most people really wanted.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #36
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah. Well, we could make the third option something more general like "a combination of open and hidden voting". Then, if it wins, we could discuss what combination is most wanted. The pure alternating suggestion was only to be simple if we're using both kinds of polls.
It might not be necessary. I actually really like the toggling idea. The example I gave was my "I think it would be cool if..." scenario. "Other" opens up the discussions to what our members would like to see.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Yes, I like your suggestions, but without the fourth option if the poll will be binding. I'd hate for anyone to lose their vote since "other" wouldn't really be a winnable category.

And though it's a bit of "did the chicken or egg come first?", I'd suggest a hidden vote for this poll so that people vote their heart without regard to poll results so far. Perhaps also keep it open for a good while - at least two weeks or more - to give all our various members a chance to see it and vote.
Two weeks sounds good.

Quote:
Tom (or dreams, or any moderator who kept track), I'm curious as to the day-by-day results on a hidden poll. Did you keep track last month? If so, did the books that ended up with the most votes at the end always have the most votes? Or do you think the voting seemed to go back and forth more? Did you notice more later votes cast for books not in the lead than in open polling months?

Perhaps one of you who can view results could manually keep a tally of the day-by-day results for this month and post them once the poll is over, so we can see how things progressed. I know it'd be a bit of work for one of you to do it, but it'd be very informative for us.
The results were pretty steady as I recall. Two of the books stayed pretty much tied for the lead.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to take the suggestions we've had and start a poll. I'll be back.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #39
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I wonder if Alex could fix it so that the poll and the thread go up at the same time. It takes time to create a poll and double-check to make sure there are no errors, but the way the software is set up, you have to submit the thread first, then create the poll, and every time—at least it seems like every time—before you've had time to create the poll, somebody inevitably posts and asks, "Where's the POLL?" Patience, Grasshopper! There's no way to create the poll until after the thread is created and posted.

And now I'm off to Front Page it.
What? That must only be for the moderators. I can't add a poll after I post only before. And why are the votes hidden even after you have voted?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm going to take the suggestions we've had and start a poll. I'll be back.
Great! Now let's talk about the nominees.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #41
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
And why are the votes hidden even after you have voted?
Probably to prevent those who have voted from telling the results to those who have not.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #42
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Right, I guess that makes sense.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The vote thread on whether we wish to continue with hidden polling or go back to the way things were has been posted as a (temporary) sticky.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158027

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
What? That must only be for the moderators. I can't add a poll after I post only before. And why are the votes hidden even after you have voted?
Yes, it's the hidden vote option. At the end of the polling period, you will be able to see who voted for what, but not before.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If we were to go back, we'd be doing the book club a major disservice and getting winners that really are not what the majority wants.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I'm with Jon on this. I like the hidden vote.

Tags
book club, december 2011, mobileread book club, poll, vote