Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
scienceEreader
scienceEreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pocketbook 611 vs Pocketbook Pro 912

I'm interested in ebook readers with a large screensize for reading manuals, datasheets, scientific papers and do not intend to zoom but to display a page fullscreen (cropped borders optional). Therefore the devices from pocketbook look ideal, however i have two questions:

a) Pageturn speed: From viewing youtube videos of the 912 device i'm a bit worried, that the page turn speed is pretty slow. On the other hand i could perform a real life test with the Pocketbook 611 in the local media markt. This device was pretty quick in terms of response to pageturn and buttons, means i was impressed.
The question is: Is the 611 quicker here because of the cpu clock of 800 MHz instead of the 912's 533 MHz, or is this due to the smaller screen size, or a firmware issue since there is a RC6 firmware for the 912 which increases the page turn speed? Is the 912 as fast with this firmware version?
Additionally the inverting of the panel looks a bit distracting looking at the 912 youtube videos and even total distracting on the M92. Does one get used to the inverting of the screen or are there options to modify the inverting behaviour? I observerd, that with the 611 the inverting appears to happen only every 3rd pageturn.

b) Firmware related, Cropping of Pageborders: A youtube comparison of the 912 with the Onyx boox M92 showed that with the M92 the user was able to rectangular select the desired region of the display to zoom (or crop the borders). This is a feature that Pocketbook has not implemented yet, as far as im aware of. Is this feature on the todo list of the PB programmers or is there an estimated time when this feature will be on the pocket book aswell?

c) Not so serious: Are there upcoming new PB 9.7" e-Ink devices ? Soon? =)

Best regards,
Thomas
scienceEreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
jedd
Enthusiast
jedd doesn't litterjedd doesn't litterjedd doesn't litter

Device: Pocketboot 360
Hi Tomas,

I'm new around here, but have a little experience to share.

Like you, I am also considering a 912 (or 902) for reading pdf's - seems to be a common use case, understandably.

I have a PB 360 (the original one) and while I get the screen inversions, I really don't notice them. I think I might have, originally, a year or more ago, but not for very long. OTOH on a big screen it may be a bit more painful. I, too, saw some comparison videos, and it looked like (but may have been down to book choice) the 912 was blanking on each screen while the 902 wasn't.

With regards cropping - the M92 did have that nice feature where you denote a border with a diagonal strike, but something I recently discovered via the nice people on this forum is probably even better - BRISS. It does mean you need to process a PDF before popping it onto your reader, but you can get it *just right*, and the software produces a snipped PDF in several seconds.

As to whether there's any new models .. steady on there chap - it's virtually impossible to find any of the *current* models for sale in Europe at the moment!
jedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert