Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
jbu
jbu began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
looking of E-reader for the university

hi, i am looking for Ereader that i could add handwriting notes on PDF and then transfer them to my PC ,I'd much prefer one with E-ink display but do to the lack of variety i am very open to suggestion .

thank you.
jbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Drop Bear
Enthusiast
Drop Bear began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
I am in the same boat as you.

The only options that seem feasible are the Sony PRS-650 (which is out of stock for a month or so) and the Kindle DX (Graphite being more expensive but better contrast).

I am not sure if they allow exportable notes from PDF but the Sony does allow text highlighting thanks for a touch screen which is very useful.

The market has definitely shifted towards the smaller unit for domestic reading material rather than academic. Irex used to make good stuff for this but they went bust and I currently have a bricked $800 DR800 in my drawer thanks to no more warranty.

I am looking at what Windows 7 tablets will be available. Though they will lack e-ink they will have the versatility I need and hopefully have good pen based input methods. The ipad and android devices simply lack this at the moment. I will admit reading on a backlit machine is not ideal but e-ink innovation has simply taken a back seat to tablets.

I look forward to what other people can suggest as I am going to need to replace my broken Irex soon or else buy stocks in Reflex for all the paper I will be needing when uni starts up again.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
jbu

it is so frustrating, samsung E60 sames like a product that could to this ,but it's seems like samsung doesn't what to invest a little bit in the E60 Software .

is there a savior out there that could fix make E60 save the note that you could write on EPUB ?

it will help a lot of student because it's the cheapest device with the hardware capabilities .
Old 02-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Way cool, but way expensive
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
Drop Bear
Enthusiast
Drop Bear began at the beginning.

Device: dr800sg
Very nice Cherry.

That is how much I paid for my Irex. Early adopters pay the price.

Shame they don't ship that overseas yet. I have sent them an email enquiring about it though. So spiffy.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Have you looked at the Entourage Edge?? It comes in 2 sizes. The big one has a 9.7" e-ink screen and a 10.1" linux/android screen. It was designed for academic use and might be just the thing for you. Check it out at www.entourageedge.com. I don't have one yet, but I will!

Good luck!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #7
jbu

isn't there something cheaper ?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Bear View Post
Very nice Cherry.

That is how much I paid for my Irex. Early adopters pay the price.

Shame they don't ship that overseas yet. I have sent them an email enquiring about it though. So spiffy.
Ha! It's a shame they don't ship anywhere yet. I've been waiting for my pre-order since the first shipment delay in December.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
well, you could always get a large screen ereader to display pdfs well and get a noteslate for notes:
http://www.noteslate.com/philosophy.htm I want one just to play with

apparently you can have a pdf screenshot type of thing on the screen, this this is only 99 bucks too
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote