Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Raedwulf
Raedwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Angry Never ending Synchronization

I'm just getting to know my PRS-600. Since my wife has the same unit as I have, getting them together, I could compare results.

I found I had a real problem with Synchronization, it would go on for hours. I compared the settings against my wife's; I have a check against books, my wife had no sync options selected, she had no issues downloading books. I couldn't figure out how to download a book until syncing was complete
... took me a while before I realized that I could cancel the synchronization :P

How long should synchronnization take? Given that internal flash memory on an e-book is 'supposed' to be fast.
I was able to deselect synchronize books afterwards

Sorry, a bit of a vent... it was a bit frustrating... my little PDA synchronizes email, calendar contacts in a couple minutes
Raedwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raedwulf View Post
How long should synchronnization take? Given that internal flash memory on an e-book is 'supposed' to be fast.
I don't have a 600, but can't imagine it taking any longer than the 505. When I was heavily using a 505 it would take anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes to sync depending on how much stuff was being moved. I think the longest was about 7 or 8 minutes, but that was moving around 800 books at once. This was using version 2.5 of the software, I don't use the 505 much anymore and haven't tried syncing with 3.0
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Raedwulf

Something peculiar then is going on.
Assuming I let it, only books checked off; I don't know how long it would actually take, I let it run over night and it still wasn't finished. I haven't even installed a book at this point, so there's no synchronization of 5 books let alone 800
I uninstall the Sony Library (remove programs applet) and reinstall. I did neglect to remove any folders created by the install, that's my next step
Old 10-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raedwulf View Post
Something peculiar then is going on.
Assuming I let it, only books checked off; I don't know how long it would actually take, I let it run over night and it still wasn't finished. I haven't even installed a book at this point, so there's no synchronization of 5 books let alone 800
I uninstall the Sony Library (remove programs applet) and reinstall. I did neglect to remove any folders created by the install, that's my next step
Hi Raedwulf, I have seen quite a few posts about synching problems with the Sony software, and I experience them myself. It sounds like the ebook library software is hanging on you - there's no way it should take anywhere near that long to synch. I have just given up on the synch option with both my recently purchased Sony readers, a 300 and a 505. Like many others here, I now use Calibre to manage my books. Good luck.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Raedwulf

I too have switched, I don't browse the Sony site for books, concentrating on replacing some my print books with free e-books as much as I can, then find some to buy once I get used to my 600
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
sammygirl
sammygirl began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
hey , im having the same prob .. even my reader is taking forever to sync .. i was thinking abt switching to calibre too ..
sammygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammygirl View Post
hey , im having the same prob .. even my reader is taking forever to sync .. i was thinking abt switching to calibre too ..
sammygirl, I think you will be much happier with Calibre. It is easy to use, and has many more features than the Sony software. I have had no problems with it, whereas the Sony software has been nothing but problems.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:40 AM   #8
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I am in "conversation" with Sony Support. In my case, Synch will hang on a particular title. If I delete that title from the eBook Library software, it will then continue further, until it hits another title it is not happy with. And so forth. Yestready I tried deleted every title it had issues with, but gave up after some 12 titles.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
I had the same issue. Sony's software sucks. Fortunately, you can just drag-and-drop files onto the device from windows explorer (file manager), or if you really need a program to manage your books, Calibre. You can also use ADE.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote