Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 01-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #1
minnieminx
minnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blueminnieminx can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo touch ereader
Reading apps

Hi does anyone know a reading app for windows that will let me read my own books as kindle only lets you read books you have purchased from Amazon i cant send my own books to it

Thanks
minnieminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Yes, look in our wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...#Windows_phone

or perhaps https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...Windows_8_Apps
Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2016, 04:02 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Freda is the best one I found in the Windows store
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Fiction Book Reader.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...r/9wzdncrdm0s9
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Freda is good, though I've been happy with Book Bazaar Reader on my 8" Win8.1 tablet
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2016, 01:15 AM   #6
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Yes, Book Bazaar Reader is a very nice reader.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:32 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
Yes, Book Bazaar Reader is a very nice reader.
The biggest problem I have with most of those book apps is that they'll make a copy of your book in their own library. I already have my books in a library, I really don't need a second copy. Which is why I simply use the reader that comes shipped with Calibre.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:53 AM   #8
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The biggest problem I have with most of those book apps is that they'll make a copy of your book in their own library. I already have my books in a library, I really don't need a second copy. Which is why I simply use the reader that comes shipped with Calibre.
Hi Sweetpea - that is an interesting observation. When I started out developing Freda, I definitely intended that it should just do 'reading books', not 'managing a library'. But user requests and features of the Windows Phone platform pushed me into implementing library management anyway. It would be an easy fix to provide Freda with a 'lite' mode in which it did not display a list of book sources, did not provide library management and did not let you edit book embedded data. In 'lite' mode Freda would just display a list of (say 6) most recently opened books on its main screen, and the normal way to launch it would be to click on an EPUB or FB2 file. Would that be valuable to you?
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
Hi Sweetpea - that is an interesting observation. When I started out developing Freda, I definitely intended that it should just do 'reading books', not 'managing a library'. But user requests and features of the Windows Phone platform pushed me into implementing library management anyway. It would be an easy fix to provide Freda with a 'lite' mode in which it did not display a list of book sources, did not provide library management and did not let you edit book embedded data. In 'lite' mode Freda would just display a list of (say 6) most recently opened books on its main screen, and the normal way to launch it would be to click on an EPUB or FB2 file. Would that be valuable to you?
The only thing I use on my tablet is simple reading (changing background colour, depending on location and time, and margin/font sizes being the only other thing). It's almost sad that there is not a simple reader application out there, that simply provides some basic layout settings (font colour, background colour, font size, margins) without most of the advanced settings. At least on a full windows machine.

I already use Freda on my phone and I find it's a very nice reader in general, so there's nothing wrong with it! I've no idea how Freda looks on a Windows 10 PC though, as I don't think I'll ever upgrade my tablet to Windows 10...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:13 AM   #10
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
It would be an easy fix to provide Freda with a 'lite' mode in which it did not display a list of book sources, did not provide library management and did not let you edit book embedded data. In 'lite' mode Freda would just display a list of (say 6) most recently opened books on its main screen, and the normal way to launch it would be to click on an EPUB or FB2 file. Would that be valuable to you?
I would certainly appreciate a 'lite' mode as you describe it here.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:37 AM   #11
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnieminx View Post
Hi does anyone know a reading app for windows that will let me read my own books as kindle only lets you read books you have purchased from Amazon i cant send my own books to it

Thanks
Try 'Icecream eBook reader'

This is a reasonable app for reading eBooks on the computer, it’s fairly simple to use and it’s free
I like the sepia background as it’s more relaxing than stark white
The controls on the right allow to have one page or two pages on the screen
and by continually clicking on the large A the print size can be enlarge to your liking

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...9vCNx5LP9LI-Sw

Click on the blue ‘Download Now’ box, ignore the other stuff that is advertised
Then click on the blue ‘External Mirror 1’ box
Never click on the ‘Upgrade’ box, it’s not worth the money and the free version is more than adequate

I read mobi and epub using Icecream eBook reader
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:14 AM   #12
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
Try 'Icecream eBook reader'

This is a reasonable app for reading eBooks on the computer, it’s fairly simple to use and it’s free
I like the sepia background as it’s more relaxing than stark white
The controls on the right allow to have one page or two pages on the screen
and by continually clicking on the large A the print size can be enlarge to your liking

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...9vCNx5LP9LI-Sw

Click on the blue ‘Download Now’ box, ignore the other stuff that is advertised
Then click on the blue ‘External Mirror 1’ box
Never click on the ‘Upgrade’ box, it’s not worth the money and the free version is more than adequate

I read mobi and epub using Icecream eBook reader
If you have Windows 8 or 10 you can use FictionBookReader from Windows Store. It is able to read a lot of formats and for a fee is able to maintain all your books in the cloud and synced across computers/phones.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #13
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
It would be an easy fix to provide Freda with a 'lite' mode in which it did not display a list of book sources, did not provide library management and did not let you edit book embedded data. In 'lite' mode Freda would just display a list of (say 6) most recently opened books on its main screen, and the normal way to launch it would be to click on an EPUB or FB2 file. Would that be valuable to you?
I have been using default calibre reader for the same reason. Would really appreciate if you can create the 'lite' mode for Freda for windows 10.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:14 AM   #14
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
I have been using default calibre reader for the same reason. Would really appreciate if you can create the 'lite' mode for Freda for windows 10.
I've been looking at doing this, and it will come in the next few weeks/months. Actually, the choice I am wrestling with is whether to implement 'lite' mode or 'reading MOBI and PDF' first. Decisions, decisions :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
If you have Windows 8 or 10 you can use FictionBookReader from Windows Store. It is able to read a lot of formats and for a fee is able to maintain all your books in the cloud and synced across computers/phones.
Or if you don't want to pay a fee (or to put your ebooks onto FBReader's cloud setup), then you can just put your ebooks onto OneDrive and use Freda.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
[QUOTE=Jim Chapman;3322789]I've been looking at doing this, and it will come in the next few weeks/months. Actually, the choice I am wrestling with is whether to implement 'lite' mode or 'reading MOBI and PDF' first. Decisions, decisions :-)

Well, now you mention it I guess pdf will be great and the other format can be mobi or epub..
We could create a poll to see if people would prefer one over the other.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote