Old 04-23-2014, 05:57 PM   #16
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I do believe tablets, not smartphones,
Yea, but maybe you should try phablet too.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Since I am in the market for a phone at the moment ( no contract) I looked up what this one costs. Its $600 . Its not comparable to a e-ink reader, nor is it going to make anything obsolete. My basic kindle cost me $50, even the PW can be had for $119.
New unlocked phone on the horizon (May or Jun) from OnePlus
  • Company: OnePlus
  • Model: OnePlus One
  • CPU: 2.5 GHz Snapdragon 801 quad-core
  • GPU: Adreno 330
  • RAM: 3 GB
  • Op Sys: CyanogenMod 11S (KitKat 4.4 variant)
  • Display: 5.5" - Gorilla Glass 3
  • Resolution: 1080p HD IPS - 1920x1080 - 401 ppi
  • Rear Cam: 13 MP Sony Exmor IMX 214 - 6 lenses
  • Flash: dual-LED
  • Front Cam: 5 MP
  • WiFi: dual-band 802.11 ac
  • other: Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, stereo speakers, 3 mics
  • Bands: GSM, WCDMA, LTE
  • SIM: micro
  • Storage: 16GB or 64GB
  • SD Card: no
  • Battery: 3100 mAh (non-removable)
  • Size: 6.0 x 3.0 x 0.35" (152.9 x 75.9 x 8.9 mm)
  • Weight: 5.7 oz (162 g)
  • Price: 16GB (white) = $299
  • Price: 64GB (black) = $349

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-23-2014 at 06:19 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #18
Stringer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
New phone on the horizon (May or Jun) from OnePlus[*]Resolution: 1080p HD IPS - 1920x1080 - 401 ppi
IPS display has separate backlight. It might shine behind black and irritate eyes even more. AMOLED pixels on the other hand produce their own light. It might leak to nearby pixels, but easier to look anyway. I think Sirmaru made almost the best choice by selecting Samsung (note3 only better).
Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
IPS display has separate backlight. It might shine behind black and irritate eyes even more. AMOLED pixels on the other hand produce their own light. It might leak to nearby pixels, but easier to look anyway. I think Sirmaru made almost the best choice by selecting Samsung (note3 only better).
I don't read on back-lit displays, so none of this is an issue for me. I suggested this phone to Atunah because it's half the price of a Galaxy. For some, price is an overriding factor.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #20
Stringer
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don't read on back-lit displays, so none of this is an issue for me. I suggested this phone to Atunah because it's half the price of a Galaxy. For some, price is an overriding factor.
Okay. Cheap it is. Not as cheap as kindle though and certainly far from being good reader. All this is more like academic debate to me, since in the end I always read from pw before getting my beaty sleep.

I wonder tho, why I can spend hours on these forums with this phone device without problems. Even now in complete dark. But once I start reading a book, my eyes hurt.

Last edited by Stringer; 04-23-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Advert
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Technology is forcing the consumer to spend more and more money for new eReaders every year. I sometimes long for the simplicity of the old print books.
It doesn't have to. I'm still happily reading on a Kindle 4S produced nearly three years ago (Sep 2011) and won't upgrade until it gives up the ghost.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I wonder tho, why I can spend hours on these forums with this device without problems. Even now in complete dark. But once I start reading a book, my eyes hurt.
I thought about that and realized that when I was reading, my eyes stayed glued to my Kindle for several hours at a time without any interruptions. By contrast, when I'm on the computer, my eyes wander on and off the monitor as I multitask with frequent interruptions.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #23
Stringer
Connoisseur

Quote:
I thought about that and realized that when I was reading, my eyes stayed glued to my Kindle for several hours at a time without any interruptions. By contrast, when I'm on the computer, my eyes wander on and off the monitor as I multitask with frequent interruptions.
I think you might be on the right track there. The eyes really wander all over the display in use like this. Not so much off the display with dark room and phone, but I guess it is enough if it wanders even on the display.

Now this makes me wonder, would it be possible to make use of this realization somehow? Maybe if the text moved on the screen more and you would have search it. That could make reading slower, but if it helps with the straining.. Somebody should definently study this.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #24
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Tablets are too big.

Quote:
Some will never give up their eInks, but I did quite a few months ago. I read exclusively on my iPad mini Retina and iPhone 5. I only read on the iPhone 5 when away from home and waiting somewhere for an appointment. I do believe tablets, not smartphones, will become the goto device for most readers, if they haven't already. EInk is losing ground and falling farther behind in technology. IMO, eInks are dinosaurs waiting for the asteroid strike that will make them extinct.
I like my PW 2013 and HDX 2013 for reading around the house. However, outside the house the portability and light weight of the S5 can't be beat.

It hard to sit on a chair with an HDX for 60 minutes in a Bible Study and not get tired of holding it. The S5 is very light and can be placed back in a shirt pocket if required.

The best kind of device would be a tablet of extremely light material able to be folded down to pocket size.

The S5 has a companion Gear 2 connected watch allowing one to read an eBook, send and receive messages and calls and still stay on one's wrist. It connects to the S5 by bluetooth.

The only drawback is that watch costs an additional $ 300 and I'll wait awhile to go to that level.

Google is also working on smart glasses which may also be able to read eBooks while wearing them via Bluetooth.

Apple is working on a "phablet" which is supposed to be very light and pocket fitting like the S5. It has not yet been released.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-23-2014 at 10:44 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #25
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Some will never give up their eInks, but I did quite a few months ago. I read exclusively on my iPad mini Retina and iPhone 5. I only read on the iPhone 5 when away from home and waiting somewhere for an appointment. I do believe tablets, not smartphones, will become the goto device for most readers, if they haven't already. EInk is losing ground and falling farther behind in technology. IMO, eInks are dinosaurs waiting for the asteroid strike that will make them extinct.

You do realize dinosaurs only lasted over a hundred MILLION years?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #26
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I'll give up my eink when a tablet can read well in sunlight, have a battery that lasts for more than hours, at least 3 days minimum and it has collections capabilities. As soon as the first 7" tablet does those minimum requirements, I am on it.

But honestly I will never have to because I always have two devices active at a time, I like having the ability to jump back and forth between the two. I also prefer reading on my eink because it keeps me from getting distracted with all the other apps. But I would love for my next Fire to have the above features. I know they already have the collections and I can live with the battery since it would be my secondary device but I would love to be able for it to be used in sunlight. I do not know what the technology is that my Note has but I want my next Fire to have it, otherwise I will be sorely tempted to go back to Samsung tablets.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #27
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
New unlocked phone on the horizon (May or Jun) from OnePlus
I'm on Steve Kondik's Google+ feed, so I've been pondering that phone for awhile. I prefer AMOLED myself, but the black 64GB version is extremely tempting -- esp. since it's comparable to the S5, is completely unlocked, ships with twice the internal memory and goes for $349.

Early reviews are in, but the prototype appears to have limited functionality.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #28
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I only use my iPhone 5 for reading short articles on the go. I can't stand reading novels. The screen is just too small and gives me eye strain. eInk all the way!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:19 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I'll give up my eink when a tablet can read well in sunlight,...
I'll give up my eink when they pry it from my cold, dead hands
Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I'm on Steve Kondik's Google+ feed, so I've been pondering that phone for awhile. I prefer AMOLED myself, but the black 64GB version is extremely tempting -- esp. since it's comparable to the S5, is completely unlocked, ships with twice the internal memory and goes for $349.

Early reviews are in, but the prototype appears to have limited functionality.
I like the fact that we're moving in the direction of cheaper, unlocked, quality phones. This is a new company, so real world testing of production run devices is a must.