Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I would go and actively try to find something to fault.
I suspect you mean that you WOULDN'T try to find something to fault, don't you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #47
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Uh... yeah. Stupid keyboard missed a few strokes
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #48
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
With regard to the screen: I took some pictures of mine to show to others, and let me tell you, the least of focusing errors creates lens abberations such as a green or pink cast around letters (chromatic abberations). Pictures don't always show how the screen looks in real life. Just look at it, at your prefferred lighting settings, and if it's good, then it's good. I wouldn't go and actively try to find something to fault. You'll go crazy.

Have fun with the PW
Yeah - one of the first things I did was to take a photo of the screen, but when I looked at the photo and back at the screen I found the images too disimilar to post usefully here.

The photo made the screen look quite bluish with a blotchiness I couldn't discern as much with the naked eye.

I did actually find that reading was a bit more comfortable holding the device further away from me than I was used to with the Kindle Keyboard.

I also read a little in bed with the light off and I found that I wanted to sleep quite quickly. But in all fairness, I'd had a busy day and I'd already read for two hours, was tired before I went to bed in the first place and was lying in a comfortable position to fall asleep. So I think it's a little premature to say that reading with the lighted screen caused me fatigue.

For all those cover purists, my cover actually arrived the same day as my Kindle, but it's a cheap fake leather cover imported from China. No auto off/on for me. I got so much value out of my last cheap import for the K3. It was only $8 and lasted me for the lifetime of the device (and is still going strong), so I thought I'd take another change on a cheapy cover. $8 I'm the happy owner of new trash.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #49
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
caleb72, I got a cover from China for $8.20 too and it has auto on/off. Check out this thread, I posted pictures on page 19. There are lots of other pictures throughout the thread too.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #50
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
For all those cover purists, my cover actually arrived the same day as my Kindle, but it's a cheap fake leather cover imported from China. No auto off/on for me. I got so much value out of my last cheap import for the K3. It was only $8 and lasted me for the lifetime of the device (and is still going strong), so I thought I'd take another change on a cheapy cover. $8 I'm the happy owner of new trash.
You could actually make an auto on/off cover out of it by sticking some magnetic tape on the inside of the flap. When closed, it should end up on the lower right corner of the Kindle.

The tape may actually be more expensive than another Chinese on/off cover though....
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #51
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
The PaperWhite is available for purchase from Amazon now, for us folk downunder.....so, I've decided to upgrade from my K3. When I noticed it was available for order here now, late last week, it was listed as in stock (this is the 3G version). But I decided to read more reviews before making my decision...so I took a couple of days before I placed my order (2 days ago). When I placed my order, it was already listed as shipping in 2-3 weeks. It was going to deliver around 5th March. So, I was surprised to get a shipping notice today. It is shipping from China, probably direct from manufacturing. In my account, my Kindle PW is listed as the 603 version. Anyway, if I am lucky, I might get my PW later this week. I can't wait.

Last edited by millydog; 02-04-2013 at 05:56 AM.
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #52
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by millydog View Post
The PaperWhite is available for purchase from Amazon now, for us folk downunder.....so, I've decided to upgrade from my K3. When I noticed it was available for order here now, late last week, it was listed as in stock (this is the 3G version). But I decided to read more reviews before making my decision...so I took a couple of days before I placed my order (2 days ago). When I placed my order, it was already listed as shipping in 2-3 weeks. It was going to deliver around 5th March. So, I was surprised to get a shipping notice today. It is shipping from China, probably direct from manufacturing. In my account, my Kindle PW is listed as the 603 version. Anyway, if I am lucky, I might get my PW later this week. I can't wait.
Yep, they have different shipping points all over and usually ship from the one closest to the purchaser if possible. When I bought my K3 I think it was shipped from a warehouse somewhere here in Wisconsin or maybe Illinois.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #53
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I have to tell you, the auto-on-off is one of my favorite features of the Kindle PW. It was well worth the price of the Amazon cover for me. It is like a book now. I open the cover and I just start reading in whatever light I am in. Close the cover and the device goes to sleep. Awesome and a much more bookish experience. But, to each his own.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #54
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Yep, they have different shipping points all over and usually ship from the one closest to the purchaser if possible. When I bought my K3 I think it was shipped from a warehouse somewhere here in Wisconsin or maybe Illinois.
What you are refering to are Amazon's fulfillment centers which is entirely different than shipping directly from the manufacturer in China, as the previous poster mentioned.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #55
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
I have to tell you, the auto-on-off is one of my favorite features of the Kindle PW. It was well worth the price of the Amazon cover for me. It is like a book now. I open the cover and I just start reading in whatever light I am in. Close the cover and the device goes to sleep. Awesome and a much more bookish experience. But, to each his own.
I could not agree more! :thumbup:
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #56
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Me too. I love it!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #57
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I love it too! I agree it does feel more like a book!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
What you are refering to are Amazon's fulfillment centers which is entirely different than shipping directly from the manufacturer in China, as the previous poster mentioned.
Touche. I meant that the actual unit is shipped from the closest point, which in the poster's case seems to be directly from the manufacturer in China.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #59
ScottCaanFan
ScottCaanFan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I don't have the kindle PW yet, but hopefully tomorrow..but I do have a Kobo Glo with their original sleepcover and yes it's well worth it. I love that I don't have to fiddle with buttons anymore, I can just close the cover when I'm done and when I want to continue reading it will just open up where I left off. I did order the original sleepcover in black for the Kindle too as I think it's well worth the money. I did decide to go with black because I was kind of afraid the colored border around my kindle would distract.
ScottCaanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCaanFan View Post
I don't have the kindle PW yet, but hopefully tomorrow..but I do have a Kobo Glo with their original sleepcover and yes it's well worth it. I love that I don't have to fiddle with buttons anymore, I can just close the cover when I'm done and when I want to continue reading it will just open up where I left off. I did order the original sleepcover in black for the Kindle too as I think it's well worth the money. I did decide to go with black because I was kind of afraid the colored border around my kindle would distract.
I own the black one and I love it. Of course all my covers are in black. My only complaint is once it's in there. It's nearly impossible to take out. I tried and gave up. I wanted to clean the dirt and dust around the edges of the cover.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote