Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Author appearing first on my Kindle

Hi everyone,
I hope that this is the right forum because I'm using calibre to put books on my Kindle.
I've recently put a bunch of new books on there but for some bizarre reason it's displaying
<Author name> - <Book name>... and then the author name as usual.

I have labeled my books in Calibre according to series. So for example in the metadata for Keith Laumer's Bolo series I have:
Title: BOL1 The Compleat Bolo
Title Sort: BOL1 The Compleat Bolo
Author: Keith Laumer
Author Sort: Laumer, Keith

then

Title: BOL2 Bolos Honor of the Regiment
Title Sort: BOL2 Bolos Honor of the Regiment
Author: Keith Laumer
Author Sort: Laumer, Keith

Some help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Edit: I'm putting this post on the Calibre forum too

Last edited by Katdragon; 05-13-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I would suggest you leave the Title and Author names correct in your metadata and then read about using the Plugboard function to display the books how you like on the Kindle Device

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118563

click on the show button to see some examples
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Thanks for that - but is there a way of labeling the books so I know what book of the series it is without having to do that in the title?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes - you use the series field of the metadata and then the index number.

For instance - this is what my plugboard looks like (click on Preferences the Plugboard) - choose Kindle2 or whatever is appropriate

put this code in the textbox and set destination to Title

{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}

so that is saying - In the Title field
List the Series
Then the Series Index with Dashes before and after the numbers
Then the actual title of the book

This is how my code ends up looking on my Kindle. You can mess around with the number formatting and the dashes and spaces to customize it to how you like. Or you can swap series index before series ... whatever you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	520.8 KB
ID:	71304  
Old 05-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Katdragon
Connoisseur

Thanks
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard

Let me add - one of the big advantages to doing it that way is if I someday decide I want my books to display differently or if Amazon someday comes out with an improvement where they're listing the series on the screen too - and everything gets all messed up ....

then I don't have to go to each and every book in each and every series and change the title of the book. I just have to go into the plugboard once and change the code there.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Thread closed. Please DO NOT create duplicate threads. This is a Calibre question, and belongs ONLY in the Calibre forum.

Please continue the discussion in the correct place:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133063

Thank you.
Closed Thread