Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #61
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
So, it seems possible that some intrepid soul was mucking about with the code, possibly having to do with cover generation, and inadvertently left some non production clean up code in the new releases? Or have I mistranslated Monsieur Poirot explaining it all in the diner car?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #62
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
So, it seems possible that some intrepid soul was mucking about with the code, possibly having to do with cover generation, and inadvertently left some non production clean up code in the new releases? Or have I mistranslated Monsieur Poirot explaining it all in the diner car?
Thanks, I needed a laugh.

The one nice thing to come out of all of this is that I'm LOVING my Aura. LOVE IT. I know I asked for it somewhere in one of the FW threads and didn't necessarily expect to ever see it--but to whoever added the "go to page X" feature in my books list--THANK YOU!

Now, if it would just recognise books you mark as "finished" to be actually finished (ie. show up in your "finished count") without having to actually turn the last page of the book, that would make me very happy.

All in all, though--Aura gets from me.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Boot times redux

well, continuing the saga...

Times are from when the dancing squares screen stalled to when I got the flash on the home screen.

Firmware 2.4.1 on an Aura does not care how many books are on an uSD card. Boot times are consistent.

Firmware 2.5.0 added 5 seconds for the first 100 books on the uSD card, 11 seconds for the next 100 and about 19 seconds per 100 books after that. The last batch took me to 1632 books on the uSD card and 290 seconds from when the dancing squares froze to the home screen flash.

Firmware 2.5.2 took around 3 times longer for the first batches after which I switched to 250 book batches. Boot delay went up to just shy of 15 minutes with the full 1632 books loaded on the uSD card.

With 2.5.2, I deleted all but 32 books using Calibre and the boot time dropped. Added the 1600 books back, let them process, power cycled and time was back to ~15 minutes from dancing squares freezing to home screen flash. Deleting all the books from the uSD card and adding them to the internal storage gave the quick startup back.

So now I either leave all my books on the internal storage or no more power cycling the Aura unless it is absolutely necessary.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-01-2013 at 10:53 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #64
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Hey guys...

So I encountered a new problem today, and it started after I downloaded update 2.5.2 (via the Kobo desktop app).

Everything was working fine, no problems. I updated today, and suddenly my Kobo freezes while square dancing once I've turned it on. I noticed two interesting things:

1.) I cannot reset it using the pinhole method--no lights come on at all. It's like it's dead.

2.) I *CAN* get it to "come alive", but only after I've removed my SD card (where all the books are stored) AND connect it to my PC.

If I put the SD card back in--stuck at square dancing.

I've already done two factory resets, nothing seems to have changed.

Is this something old, new, known, unknown? Any advice?
Well that's interesting. I have an issue with my 32 gig Lexar class 10 card with my Aura. It worked fine then on eject after a number of days of use... it said there was an issue when issue please scan disk. I did and of course no problems were found. Ejected after doing some book adding and kobo said it cant recognize the card. This went off and on for a couple of days till finally it refused to recognize the card and insisted I format it with fat32 which it was of course. I downloaded the sd card formatter that PeterT suggested and Tamming indicated it was up to version 4... Made no difference. Finally popped it into my glo and low and behold no issues. I am sure that the issue with this is the firmware. Very frustrating as I just got my library up to 3399 books. I do hope there is a fix for this asap

regards
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #65
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegoddess View Post
Awesome, I'm glad to hear you still like it.

When I was a kid, I actually remember saying to my parents, "I wish I had a magic book, that would be, like, all the books in the world. But it would still be book-shaped and not get any heavier"; this was after having to decide how many and which books to bring along on a trip. It was also around 1978.

I am amazed that I now have my "magic book", and so I keep all my books on it--because I can. And because I love having them all in one place. I can DJ my reading now, just like iPod let me DJ what I wanted to listen to when I was on the go.

I might ask my husband to try and read my SD card for me when he gets home, but I don't think it's humanly possible without magnification. I do know this one looks exactly like it:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820171454

Edit: Okay, my Aura processed everything on my SD card with no problem, but when I powered it down and back up again, I'm getting the same thing--it's frozen on the square dancing. The Aura also has firmware 2.5.2 running on it.

If I can get it hooked up to my PC, I might dump everything on the card and start over--see if that does anything.
Its funny how magic is reworked via Technology.....
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #66
tehmul
tehmul began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
The 2.8.1 update still doesn't fix this issue (ie the long time taken for books on the external SD card.)
tehmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehmul View Post
The 2.8.1 update still doesn't fix this issue (ie the long time taken for books on the external SD card.)
I console myself with the thought that it hasn't gotten any worse. Imagine if they had returned to the boot times that 2.5.x showed with an external uSD card.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote