Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
mobi format

Okay this is a totally silly question... but Sony PRS 505 does NOT support the mobi format correct?

I am asking because I noticed that a number of books at booksonboard.com that are only being sold in mobi format are also available at the sony ebookstore (at a higher price).

So I wanted to check and make sure I was understanding things correctly.

I am curious why the titles are being offered only in mobi format at booksonboard.com but apparently in another format at sony ebook store? No doubt just to cofuse people...

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's correct, Sony does not support the Mobi format -- apparently because Amazon (which owns Mobipocket) isn't interested in sharing the format with folks who support other formats. I mean, they won't even support regular Mobi on the Kindle, nor allow Kindle format on anything but the Kindle.

Sony's ebookstore only sells in Sony's BBeB format, I couldn't guess why BooksOnBoard is only selling them in Mobi, unless the publisher specified it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But, BooksOnBoard does have some eBooks in ePub which the 505 can now support with DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I am curious why the titles are being offered only in mobi format at booksonboard.com but apparently in another format at sony ebook store? No doubt just to cofuse people...

Amy
The Sony eBook store is the only place where DRM-protected BBeB books can be bought - Sony have a monopoly on that format and their store is the only place where it's sold.

Mobi is a much more general format used by many different devices and sold by many different retailers. BooksOnBoard is only one of very many different eBook stores who sell Mobi-format books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Using that model as an example, Harry, I wonder what would happen if Sony released the tools to make non-DRM titles -- I mean release official software to enterprising companies who want to produce books in the Bbeb format. It would seem that releasing the software would further expand the market in Bbebs.

The work-around, as you know (but maybe new people to this site don't know this), is that one can use calibre or BookDesigner (am I missing some?) to make lrfs.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Using that model as an example, Harry, I wonder what would happen if Sony released the tools to make non-DRM titles -- I mean release official software to enterprising companies who want to produce books in the Bbeb format. It would seem that releasing the software would further expand the market in Bbebs.

The work-around, as you know (but maybe new people to this site don't know this), is that one can use calibre or BookDesigner (am I missing some?) to make lrfs.

Don
There really is no need for the official tools anymore. Both Baen and Fictionwise use Callibre to make LRF ebooks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
jckatz
Connoisseur
jckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litter

Device: SONY PSR-500
bummer... My 500 broke so while I was waiting for my replacement I purchased a few mobi books to read on my Blackberry (suckitude) so know I either have to finish reading them on my blackberry or get them from the library and finish them in the print... I am NOT paying for them again.
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
bummer... My 500 broke so while I was waiting for my replacement I purchased a few mobi books to read on my Blackberry (suckitude) so know I either have to finish reading them on my blackberry or get them from the library and finish them in the print... I am NOT paying for them again.
DRM-free MOBI can be converted to LRF by Calibre, and DRM-ridden MOBI can be cracked by mobidedrm.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote