Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
My Very First Library Book

So, I just downloaded my very first library book. A brand new experience for me. Like a little baby getting his first taste of chocolate pudding, my little fists balled up and my arms swung up-down-up-down gesturing more-more.

Getting started was a tedious task. It took a few days.

To do that, I had to...

Find the library homepage and discover I needed an on-line account.
Discover I had to actually go to the library to set up the account.
Visit the library to find out what my account user id and password is.
Attempt to flirt my way out of paying some late fees.
Pay the late fees.
Go home and sign on to the library's home page using my new id.
Find the very-well-hidden e-book link.
Select a book for download.
Download the book.
Scratch my head at the 2kb file that wouldn't open.
Actually read the instructions.
Download and install Adobe Digital Editions.
Go to the Adobe website and get a user id and password.
Promise Adobe the first born of my three sons.
Tell my installed copy of ADE what my user id and password was.
Open the file I previously downloaded in ADE.
Hook up my nook to my computer.
Authorize my nook in ADE.
Transfer the book to the nook.
Disconnect the nook from my computer.
Open the book on the nook.

Simple!

I'm a little unsure of how to return the book. Is that an automatic process? Does it just disappear from my nook?
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
So, I just downloaded my very first library book. A brand new experience for me. Like a little baby getting his first taste of chocolate pudding, my little fists balled up and my arms swung up-down-up-down gesturing more-more.

Getting started was a tedious task. It took a few days.

To do that, I had to...

Find the library homepage and discover I needed an on-line account.
Discover I had to actually go to the library to set up the account.
Visit the library to find out what my account user id and password is.
Pay the late fees.
Go home and sign on to the library's home page using my new id.
Find the very-well-hidden e-book link.
Select a book for download.
Download the book.
Go to the Adobe website and get a user id and password.
Promise Adobe the first born of my three sons.
Tell my installed copy of ADE what my user id and password was.
Open the file I previously downloaded in ADE.
Hook up my nook to my computer.
Authorize my nook in ADE.
Transfer the book to the nook.
Disconnect the nook from my computer.
Open the book on the nook.

Simple!
You could have searched for previous threads! (would actually be useful if there was a sticky for this). Most of us have been through this painful process already, possibly with the exception of the sons and late fees (tsk!).

Quote:
I'm a little unsure of how to return the book. Is that an automatic process? Does it just disappear from my nook?
It should be. My library gives me the option of borrowing for 7 or 14 days, and a little countdown timer shows in the 'Books' view (on the Sony), then at the specified time (to the minute!), the book greys out, and can't be opened any longer. It doesn't actually disappear from the device. If I want to return it before then, I can go to ADE, click on the drop-down arrow to the left, and choose 'Return book'.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Ron, I'm surprised a person who owns a Nook didn't already have/use ADE, or were you being a bit tongue in cheek?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It's my understanding that the books have DRM installed and once your borrow period is over it refuses to open. The only way to prevent that of course would be to strip the DRM. And of course in this case it would be stripping it from a book that you don't own which is another topic entirely.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not sure if other libraries have this, but the Toronto Public Library has a series of PDFs available describing how to borrow books for various platforms.

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/b...userguides.jsp

Getting Started Guides:
Device Guides:
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Ronb, I'm surprised a person who owns a Nook didn't already have/use ADE, or were you being a bit tongue in cheek?
Nope. I only vaguely knew it existed until today. What few B&N books I've bought went straight to the nook without passing through my computer. I know there's a folder on the nook called that, but I never investigated it.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
My first library book was about Dumbo, the wonderful flying elephant.

I just got smiled at by a Nice Lady, who patted me on the head and told me to mind the step.

I didn't even need an 1880's pencil, 'cos she had one.........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
So, you're not going to tell us the title of the book? Was it worth the effort?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
<snip>
Download the book.
Typical man!

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Typical man!

Speaking as someone afflicted with the nasty 'Y' chromosomal disorder, he is not a typical man. A typical man would have wailed at the universe, banged on the keyboard, thrown the mouse, tried to download and open again (and again and again and again), THEN read the directions!!!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Typical man!

So it has come to this ...
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Rob Lister
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
So, you're not going to tell us the title of the book? Was it worth the effort?

It's alright so far.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:

Pay the late fees.
I've found that the library clerks are more likely to waive the fees if the fees are over $50 and you look/act pathetic...my sister-in-law brings her 4 kids and, if needed, cries.

Quote:
It doesn't disappear, but you will lose the ability to open the book. You can delete it off your nook when you finish it, but that won't return it. To return it, you can right-click on the book in ADE and choose to Return. I used to Return the book both from my nook (in ADE) and from the Borrowed Items folder in ADE. I don't know whether it's strictly necessary to do both. Returning a book after you finish it (if it's before the due date) is a nice courtesy to other library patrons if there is a wait list for the book.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote