Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Best free ebook app with TTS support

I occasionally use the TTS feature of the Kindle and iBooks apps to listen to books, but since both apps don't turn the screen off they quickly drain the battery and won't run in the background.

Is there any free ebook app with TTS support that keeps running, if I press the home button or at least turns off the screen after a period of inactivity?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:48 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I occasionally use the TTS feature of the Kindle and iBooks apps to listen to books, but since both apps don't turn the screen off they quickly drain the battery and won't run in the background.

Is there any free ebook app with TTS support that keeps running, if I press the home button or at least turns off the screen after a period of inactivity?
Found this summary of TTS readers:
http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/...-apps-for-ipad.

However, if you turn on VoiceOver (instead of just Screen Reader), then there is a gesture (3-finger quadruple-tap now? it used to be triple-tap...) to 'turn screen curtain on and off'. With the curtain on, the screen will be black but will still respond to VO touch gestures. That should save some drain on the battery, though not as much as with screen locked since screen is still powered up for touch response. I have the Home button configured to toggle VO with triple-press.

iPad User Guide describes the VO gestures and actions, but at least for me it takes 4 rather than 3 taps to toggle screen curtain. Both iBooks and the Kindle app have very good VO support (other reading apps, not so much).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:01 AM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
How odd. I thought I had posted in this thread. Did someone delete it because I referenced a not-free reader?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote