Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-25-2015, 03:25 AM   #196
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I concur with Salvo Montalbano :

but he should stop arguing with Livia...
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #197
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I concur with Salvo Montalbano :

but he should stop arguing with Livia...
Yes, that is one dysfunctional long-distance-relationship! They should just break up already, since they hardly ever see each other and spend most of their time arguing
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2015, 04:50 PM   #198
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Nah, Camilleri needs Livia to be distant so that he can create all the sexual tension between Montalbano and all those gorgeous hussies .....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:00 AM   #199
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
I like Peter Diamond,an overweight,ponderous thinker,
created by Peter Lovesey. I have all the books (15 to
date) and often re-read them.
I am also keen on The Roy Grace series by Peter James.
More speedily paced than the Diamond books,but generally
perfectly good procedurals.
Agatha Raisin is another favourite by MC Beaton;not quite
as enamoured of her other creation Hamish Macbeth,although
I have read all of them!
Sherlock Holmes (of course) since I first read them at the age
of twelve,but curiously, I have no love for Agatha Christie books,
despite having read around a dozen of them,when a young man.
Jussi Adler-Olsen and his 'Department Q' series are favourites,as
are the Jo Nesbo 'Harry Hole' series.
During my thirties and forties,I probably read every Ed McBain
'87th Precinct' book that I could get,and loved them too,at the
time!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #200
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Inspector Erlendur series (Arnaldur Indridason - Iceland locale)
Inspector Gamache series (Louise Penny - Quebec locale)
Maisie Dobbs series (Jacqueline Winspear - British)

--------------------------
recommended site: StopYoureKillingMe.com
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #201
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAZ View Post
Inspector Erlendur series (Arnaldur Indridason - Iceland locale)
Inspector Gamache series (Louise Penny - Quebec locale)
Maisie Dobbs series (Jacqueline Winspear - British)

--------------------------
recommended site: StopYoureKillingMe.com
Renee looking at your books, you may also like:

Donna Leon - Inspector Brunetti - Venice
Andrea Camilleri - Inspector Montalbano - Sicily
Martin Walker - Bruno - Dordogne (France)
Michael Dibdin - Zen - Italy
David Hewson - Nic Costa - Rome

Or possibly you're already familiar with them?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #202
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Encyclopedia Brown! I was a bit surprised that there were so many of these (29) and that the series lasted from 1963 to 2012. It was an absolute favorite of mine when I was a kid, lo these many long years ago, and after re-reading the first several, are still pretty entertaining. Pretty fun solving the mystery. I enjoyed the old Ellery Queen TV series, with Jim Hutton, for the same reason.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #203
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Heron Carvic's Miss Seeton. Really funny cozy mystery series, but only the first 5 actually written by Heron Carvic before his death. The series was continued by other authors afterwards but are not nearly as good. They just don't have his way with words.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #204
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

crossi the Heron Carvic books sound fun. I can't find any ebooks on Kobo UK, AU, CA, or Amazon AU. Do you know if they're in ebook format? Thanks
Old 02-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #205
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Alas, no ebooks yet. I keep hoping. My paper copies are some of my most prized books because they are hard to come by now. I hope you can find some copies at the library or used books store because they are really fun reads.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #206
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The newest Nero Wolf by Robert Goldsborough, Stop the Presses is out. It is a little pricey.
http://www.amazon.com/Stop-Presses-N...olfe+mysteries
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:20 AM   #207
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In terms of the character itself I like Erlendur best of what I've read so far, although there are others I like better when it comes to the story as a whole, such as Martin Beck.

I also really like Evert Bäckström in small doses (like in the Story of a Crime trilogy), but he is a bit too much as a main character.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 AM   #208
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
In terms of the character itself I like Erlendur best of what I've read so far, although there are others I like better when it comes to the story as a whole, such as Martin Beck.
A thumbs up from me for Erlendur.

The closest modern books I have read to compete with the Martin Beck series are Hakan Nesser's Van Veeteren novels.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:06 AM   #209
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I like the detectives Donald Lam and Bertha Cool created by Erle Stanley Gardner in his series of 29 novels I am currently reading. Donald is about 5'6", weighs 130 pounds soaking wet, and gets beat up quite frequently. Two hundred pound plus Bertha Cool is the Senior partner of the detective agency and has the personality of a rabid grizzly except when a potential client is offering money. Then, she’s all sweetness and light. She’s also not adversed to soaking a client for as much as she can. Lam is a lot more brains than brawn and he knows how to handle Bertha. He is known to have been a lawyer who had his license to practice law suspended for a year for casually mentioning to a client that he, Donald, had worked out a way to commit a murder in such a way nobody could do anything about it.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #210
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
crossi the Heron Carvic books sound fun. I can't find any ebooks on Kobo UK, AU, CA, or Amazon AU. Do you know if they're in ebook format? Thanks
These are to be released very shortly and the first book is available on Amazon for US 99 cents.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote