Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Battery not holding charge

My original Kobo isn't holding a charge when set to Sleep instead of Power Off - I need to charge it every day. This isn't the end of the world - I can charge it at night - but I got my original Kobo last June or so, have the receipt, and it's still under warranty; I wonder if I should use the warranty. I see my options as:

1) Set the Power Off option. I'd rather not since I pick it up to read multiple times per day. Then I charge it every 4-5 days I think.
2) Charge it daily and live with it. Like I said not the end of the world but battery life is limited to # of discharges right?
3) Call Kobo for warranty replacement, but am I likely to get a refurbed one? Also I'd be without it during the exchange cycle which would be tough!
4) Bring it in to Chapters - I could get a WiFi but I heard that I'd need to pay the $50 upgrade - anyone know for sure?

Anything else? Opinions? Advice?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
If you're only getting a day out of it I would switch it up one way or another. I leave my Wifi on sleep and even though it downloads a newspaper a day via wifi and gets a fair bit of reading it will last at least 4-5 days on a charge.
Personally, I might be tempted to do the upgrade to the Wifi (I have both orig and Wifi) if you afford it. Better display and much faster than the original. If you don't need/want the wifi part of it just leave it turned off.
Robert
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Every day charging is bad. I'm sure you would get it replaced under warranty.

Then again, it might be wise to upgrade to the wi-fi that enjoys a faster processor. I get about 11 days using sleep and about 40 days using power off with the wi-fi model.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Every day charging is bad.
No, every day charging is GOOD. Li-ion batteries much prefer topping up versus deep cycle discharges.

The original WiFi kobo firmware definitely had some bug relating to battery discharge as I saw the OP's issue myself several times. Under some circumstances, the kobo was not truly going to sleep. Unclear if the new firmware fixes this as I've only had it a couple days.

Ooops, nevermind. Just noticed the OP said ORIGINAL kobo. Agreed with ltr - this is possibly a warranty issue.

Last edited by 3d0g; 03-22-2011 at 07:05 AM.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '3d0g"
No, every day charging is GOOD. NiMH batteries much prefer topping up versus deep cycle discharges.
I meant bad in the sense that it's a pain in the butt.

My understanding is that whenever a lithium-ion polymer battery is used (as in the Kobo) that circuitry is always employed to avoid deep discharge and overcharge. I suspect that's the case, so I doubt it can harm the battery by running it until the device tells you to charge it.

ltr
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Every day charging is bad. I'm sure you would get it replaced under warranty.

Then again, it might be wise to upgrade to the wi-fi that enjoys a faster processor. I get about 11 days using sleep and about 40 days using power off with the wi-fi model.
Just had to ask - you get FORTY days with power off?
When I first got my Kobo I read on the forum that you should use sleep mode (as opposed to turning it completely off) because it doesn't use any power in sleep mode, so there's no up side to turning it completely off. That's not true?
I get a good 2 weeks just using the sleep mode, and I thought it would be the same even if I completely powered it off every day.

Thanks.
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
ltr
Addict

Quote:
Just had to ask - you get FORTY days with power off?
Yeah, I tested sleep and power off when I first got the Kobo, so I only use power off now. I am fairly regimented in my reading, about 2 hours a night, so it was easy to do the test comparison.

Now, I usually wait about a month and then it's time to buy more books, and there's a quarter bar left.

Sleep definitely draws more power.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I tested sleep and power off when I first got the Kobo, so I only use power off now. I am fairly regimented in my reading, about 2 hours a night, so it was easy to do the test comparison.

Now, I usually wait about a month and then it's time to buy more books, and there's a quarter bar left.

Sleep definitely draws more power.
I guess I'm a little confused. How do you "power off"? I can only get it to go to sleep mode (with the book cover showing). I read another thread that said that is when it is powered off - when the book cover is showing.
I tried holding the power button down for like 20 seconds, and it still goes to the book cover. How do you power down to get 40 days on the battery?

Can you clarify please?
Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAZ View Post
I guess I'm a little confused. How do you "power off"? I can only get it to go to sleep mode (with the book cover showing). I read another thread that said that is when it is powered off - when the book cover is showing.
I tried holding the power button down for like 20 seconds, and it still goes to the book cover. How do you power down to get 40 days on the battery?

Can you clarify please?
Thanks!
the book cover will always show up. powered off or sleep mode.

it'll say above the cover - powered off -
or it'll say
- sleep mode press power to turn on -

that is the only difference but you'll notice power consumption for sure.
if you're reading and know you're going back to the book soon then just press and tap the power button to sleep

if you know you won't read till the next day then hold the power button down and it'll power off.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
ltr
Addict

Quote:
the book cover will always show up. powered off or sleep mode.
There is a menu option to show the cover or not for either sleep or power off mode. To make it easier to determine if you're in power off or sleep, it's a nice idea to change the setting to no-cover when in power off, then you can see what mode you're in at a glance.

Quote:
How do you "power off"?
Hold the power button for three seconds - and to come out of power off, again hold the power button for three seconds.

Last edited by ltr; 03-24-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
ReneAZ
eBookaholic

Quote:
There is a menu option to show the cover or not for either sleep or power off mode. To make it easier to determine if you're in power off or sleep, it's a nice idea to change the setting to no-cover when in power off, then you can see what mode you're in at a glance.

Hold the power button for three seconds - and to come out of power off, again hold the power button for three seconds.
Thanks, that's what I do so I guess I am actually powered off and didn't know it (still have the book cover). I thought it would be like the Kindle, either a screen saver in sleep mode, or a blank white screen in powered off.

I charge every 2 weeks (both Kobo and Kindle). I have had a low battery alert with the Kindle, but nothing like that with the Kobo. Think I'll shoot for THREE weeks for that one!

Thanks so much for the info.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your help. It's not that I can't afford the $50, but the thought that the closeout Borders' price is $70 or maybe $60 was what made me hesitate. But since I can't get that price, it really shouldn't even exist in my mind.

So I took it in to Chapters, and no problem at all, came home with a new WiFi version - and got an extra USB cable out of the bargain. They're on sale right now for $139 so it was only $45 (with taxes) to get it. They don't have the turquoise button any more, so I replaced it with a black model.

I tried out a store model and it's noticeably much faster on the menus. Page turns, about the same I'd say. So far I'm just setting up, the time and date e.g., but it already feels more responsive. Connected to my home wireless - keyboard was nice & easy to use. The DPad seems a little more secure as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic

OK now I'm actually trying to read on my new WiFi and have run into some trouble. It has Firmware version 1.7.1 and my desktop is 1.9. I clicked on Sync dozens of times and no s/w upgrade so far. It did replace my library totally once (?) and seemed to have trashed one of my ADE books. :-(

Am I clicking in vain, or will I eventually get the new firmware by clicking on the Kobo desktop Sync button repeatedly (allowing it to do its thing in the meantime)? Specifically I'm wondering since I think the software on the reader is a couple of versions old maybe it's not meeting some criteria.

Edit to say: I clicked "Post" on this message, clicked Sync on the Kobo desktop - and the update was offered. Go figure!

Last edited by dmacmart; 03-25-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Got the update!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post

Edit to say: I clicked "Post" on this message, clicked Sync on the Kobo desktop - and the update was offered. Go figure!
I swear it's tied into this forum and as soon as you ask it will let you in . You're not the first this has happened to. Enjoy!
Robert
robko is offline   Reply With Quote