Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Orwell, George: Nineteen eighty-four, v1, 19 May 2010

George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair) 1903-1950
Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949)

From Wikipedia:

Nineteen Eighty-Four (sometimes written 1984), by George Orwell, published in 1949, is a dystopian novel about the totalitarian regime of the Party, an oligarchical collectivist society where life in the Oceanian province of Airstrip One is a world of perpetual war, pervasive government surveillance, public mind control, and the voiding of citizens' rights. In the Ministry of Truth (Minitrue), protagonist Winston Smith is a civil servant responsible for perpetuating the Party's propaganda by revising historical records to render the Party omniscient and always correct, yet his meager existence disillusions him into rebellion against Big Brother, which leads to his arrest, torture, and conversion.

Based on Project Gutenberg's text, with enhanced formatting. Proofread and tested on a Sony PRS-505.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Orwell George_Nineteen eighty-four.epub (273.9 KB, 6968 views)

Last edited by Pablo; 05-21-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added metadata
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Tried to open this book using ePubReader and Firefox, received the following error stream:

Sorry, unfortunately an error occured during opening your ePub-book . Please help us improving EPUBReader and send the following information to epubread@gmail.com. Thank you!
------------------ start: Thu, 20 May 2010 06:02:38 GMT
store: begin
store: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\z07xjnrg.default\epu b\130\130.epub
store: end
zip: begin
zip: end
getContent: begin
readFile: begin, C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\z07xjnrg.default\epu b\130\META-INF\container.xml
readFile: end
readFile: begin, C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\z07xjnrg.default\epu b\130\OEBPS\content.opf
createNav: begin
readFile: begin, C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\z07xjnrg.default\epu b\130\OEBPS\toc.ncx
TypeError: navMap is undefined
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
Tried to open this book using ePubReader and Firefox
I'm sorry, I've never used ePubReader. It works in Calibre's viewer, in Sigil and in my Sony PRS-505....

Last edited by Pablo; 05-21-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I'm sorry, I've never used ePubReader. It works in Calibre's viewer, in Sigil and in my Sony PRS-505....
It works in FBReader as well, but there is a small problem with the TOC.NCX ePubReader chokes on. There is an extra '</navPoint>' tag at the end:

Code:
            <navPoint id="navPoint-30" playOrder="30">
                <navLabel>
                    <text>Appendix</text>
                </navLabel>
                <content src="text/content029.xhtml"/>
            </navPoint>
		</navPoint>            <=====
    </navMap>
</ncx>
ePubReader doesn't seem to like that. EpubCheck also complains about an unterminated <navMap> element, much like ePubReader does (although it calls it 'navMap is undefined')

Fixing that makes the problem go away.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
It works in FBReader as well, but there is a small problem with the TOC.NCX ePubReader chokes on. There is an extra '</navPoint>' tag at the end:

Code:
            <navPoint id="navPoint-30" playOrder="30">
                <navLabel>
                    <text>Appendix</text>
                </navLabel>
                <content src="text/content029.xhtml"/>
            </navPoint>
		</navPoint>            <=====
    </navMap>
</ncx>
ePubReader doesn't seem to like that. EpubCheck also complains about an unterminated <navMap> element, much like ePubReader does (although it calls it 'navMap is undefined')

Fixing that makes the problem go away.
Thank you very much!!!
I corrected the error and re-uploaded the file.

Last edited by Pablo; 05-21-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Thank you very much!!!
I corrected the error and re-uploaded the file.
...and now it works properly with using ePubReader and Firefox!

However, the "Title" and "Author" appear blank since the .epub doesn't specify that information in its content.opf.

It should be revised to include at least the two bold lines (missing) below:
Code:
    <metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
        <dc:title>Nineteen eighty-four</dc:title> 
        <dc:creator opf:role="aut">George Orwell</dc:creator>
        <dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">035eadf6-f35c-4327-a601-72fff9d78496</dc:identifier>
        <meta name="Sigil version" content="0.1.4"/>
    </metadata>
Otherwise, very nice .epub!!!

Last edited by nrapallo; 05-20-2010 at 12:43 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
...and now it works properly with using ePubReader and Firefox!
Thanks for the feedback!!!

Last edited by Pablo; 05-21-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
It should be revised to include at least the two bold lines (missing) below:
Code:
    <metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
        <dc:title>Nineteen eighty-four</dc:title> 
        <dc:creator opf:role="aut">George Orwell</dc:creator>
        <dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">035eadf6-f35c-4327-a601-72fff9d78496</dc:identifier>
        <meta name="Sigil version" content="0.1.4"/>
    </metadata>
Done!!!

Last edited by Pablo; 05-21-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Thanks very much! Great job. Thanks also to all those who contributed to the solution and improvements.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 AM   #10
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
Thanks very much! Great job. Thanks also to all those who contributed to the solution and improvements.
Thanks to you for your feedback!!!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
dfigueroa
La Guera en Manzanillo
dfigueroa is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Anyone happen to know the CR laws in Mexico? I know them for the US, but I'm not there

I would imagine, though, that in most countries, it's still in CR. Definitely is in the US, sigh.
dfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
adolson
adolson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Man, I had no idea that I could get epubs from this forum! I had downloaded a PDF of 1984 and was struggling to get it converted to something usable on my PRS-300. Once I ventured outside of the Calibre section of the forum, I find this? Thank you!!

(Yes, I am Canadian, so I'm "allowed" to read this.)
adolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:14 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Many thanks, Pablo. I must have read 1984 1,984 times ... but never in digital. Now looking forward to read #1,985. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:22 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Many thanks, Pablo. I must have read 1984 1,984 times ... but never in digital. Now looking forward to read #1,985. Best wishes. Neil
This book is not in the public domain in the EU, Neil.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Shhh, Harry. Don't tell anyone. Quite honestly, I've bought this book in paper form so many times over the years for myself and friends and family, I feel I have shares in it. Just checked my shelves and I've currently got four treebook copies in French, German and English. I'm sure Mr Blair's estate won't begrudge me a free peep on a reader. Good point taken, though, Harry, and I know well intended. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote