Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Grzybson
Grzybson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Screen broken!

Hello. My sony reader screen looks like this:
. Is it possible to repair it or something?
Grzybson.
Grzybson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It is possible to replace the screen only. and it isn't cheap. Sony may not even do it any more since the don't make that device.

Your best bet is to get a new PRS505.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Good advice from pilotbob. Give the 500 a decent burial and cozy up to a new 505. You'll be very pleased with it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is there no hope for a PRS500 with a broken screen? Some bully at school tossed my son's onto the floor and broke the screen. The corner doesn't show the image, and there are traces of lines on other parts of the image, I fear it is only a matter of time before the screen cracks farther...
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
Is there no hope for a PRS500 with a broken screen? Some bully at school tossed my son's onto the floor and broke the screen. The corner doesn't show the image, and there are traces of lines on other parts of the image, I fear it is only a matter of time before the screen cracks farther...
The hope is to get the bully's parents to replace it. Also, I hope this bully is suspended. In our schools we have a strict "no tolerance" policy for stuff like this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Hey... I just had this problem with my 505. As long as you didn't drop it or otherwise destroy it you should be okay.

Give the Laredo Texas Customer Service Center a call. If you've had the product for under a year it should still be replaced under the MFR Warranty. Sony apparently is aware of the problem. Or at least that's what I got form the CSR at SonyStyle in Palm Beach Gardens and the CSR I talked to in the Laredo, TX branch.

Anyway, I had to give them a call and tell them my date of purchase, where I purchased it, and provide then with a copy of my original receipt (via fax)

They took my credit card number for a hold and then shipped out a new 505 overnight air. My new 505 is sitting at the UPS processing plant though, because they put the wrong address down. Oh well.

Anyway - they're including a return air box too so I can ship it out to them.

I'll update you with the CSR I talked to and everything more if you need information.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The hope is to get the bully's parents to replace it. Also, I hope this bully is suspended. In our schools we have a strict "no tolerance" policy for stuff like this.

BOb
Totally agree, Bob. Clearly the person who did the damage is responsible for paying for the replacement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Bob, I wish I was in that part of Florida. Down here in the S/E part you can literally get away with murder in the schools and on the streets. I need to get out of dodge ASAP. But that's a story for another thread and another time.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I hope so. But on the other hand, it won't be likely that his parents will pay the device's repair.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I hope so. But on the other hand, it won't be likely that his parents will pay the device's repair.
In the UK we have a "small claims court" for enforcing such things. Is there an equivalent in the US? Somewhere that you can go without hassle or expense to settle minor legal matters such as unpaid bills, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the UK we have a "small claims court" for enforcing such things. Is there an equivalent in the US? Somewhere that you can go without hassle or expense to settle minor legal matters such as unpaid bills, etc.
Yes, we do have small claims court. And some of then get broadcast on TV aka Judge Judy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Here in Portugal too.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Over

Excuse me? are we living in the same Portugal?
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Over

Excuse me? are we living in the same Portugal?
Yes. The Tribunal de Pequenas Causas... ?
Old 04-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Joke... pure joke...

I do not want to be impolite here but in a country where nothing is resolved in the big “causas” court (Apito Dourado, Casa Pia, you name it…), the “little” causas “court is nothing more then a joke.

But yes, I agree we do have a “nominal” institution for little court problems, who as no practical use at all.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote