Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindle Myths and Partial Truths

There are new folks joining MobileRead everyday and many of them come asking for help as to which ebook reader to buy. There are some pervasive myths that persist and are even repeated in the media.

I would like to create a wiki page clearing up these myths and partial truths. I need the help of forum members to pull this together. As you think of or come across incorrect information about the Kindle (K1 and 2 and beyond), please post it here with the correction. Also feel free to build on to someone else Myth/Truth with additional information. Newbies, please feel free to jump in.

This won't be a real FAQ, there are tons of those around. It's focus is on myths and partial truths that are missing from FAQ's or aren't clear enough.

I'll start.

Myth:

If you buy a Kindle, you are locked into Amazon's Kindle store.

Truth:

There are many sources for books that can be read on the Kindle.

Some Free Sites (Public Domain / Creative Commons)
  • MobileRead.com (look for .mobi books you can download to your computer or download the MobiGuide and get your books via Whispernet)
  • Feedbooks.com (books can be downloaded to your computer or if you download their Kindle Guide you can get your books via Whispernet o they even have a video on how to use the guide)
  • Manybooks.net (when you download to your computer, look for Kindle format or Mobipocket)

Some Pay Sites
And of course there is always the library. See the Visual Kindle Guide" class="wikilink" title="MR Wiki entry">Visual Kindle Guide wiki for more information.

For a more comprehensive source of ebook souces, please see our E-book_stores wiki.

Edit: the edit is in italics

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-15-2009 at 12:43 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Myth: Amazon is Evile!

Truth: Amazon has a remarkable business plan that is making them money hand over fist and also providing multimedia content to millions of happy consumers.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Myth: Amazon is Evile!

Truth: Amazon has a remarkable business plan that is making them money hand over fist and also providing multimedia content to millions of happy consumers.
Truth: Amazon is evil. They insist all Kindle eBooks have DRM even if the publishers don't want DRM and all audible audiobooks have to also have DRM even if the publishers don't want DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Truth: Amazon is evil. They insist all Kindle eBooks have DRM even if the publishers don't want DRM and all audible audiobooks have to also have DRM even if the publishers don't want DRM.
Then why are there DRM free ebooks in the Kindle store? I think you just listed a Myth.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
TRUTH: I suspect that Amazon thinks JSWolf is evil. That is, if they even know he exists.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This was a big one for me when i first bought my kindle...

Myth: The Kindle is as big as a newspaper page
Truth: It's not even close
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKat View Post
Myth: The Kindle is as big as a newspaper page
Truth: It's not even close
I have never heard anyone say this. How could you even think a 6inch screen could equate to a page of newsprint?

BOb
Old 02-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I have never heard anyone say this. How could you even think a 6inch screen could equate to a page of newsprint?

BOb
When i first saw the picture of the K1 on Amazon, there was NO way to tell how big it was.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Partial Truth:

Amazon charges 10 cents to convert a document.

Whole Truth:

Amazon does not charge for conversion, the charge would be to send the converted document to your Kindle via Whispernet. Rather than charging for each document, they will wait until you've accumulated $3.00 in charges before charging your credit card. To date no one had been charged for this service but that does not mean it won't happen in the future.

To convert documents you may send to Amazon for conversion using yourkindlename@kindle.com.

You also have the option of having the document sent back to via email so that you can transfer it to your Kindle "documents" folder with the USB cable. There is no charge for this. Use yourkindlename@free.kindle.com.

You may also skip Amazon's conversion service and do it yourself with free software.
  • MobiPocket Creator - Windows only (install as the Publisher's Edition, get MobiPocket Reader while you're at it to test your conversions)
  • Stanza - Windows and Mac
  • Calibre - Windows, Mac and Linux (a big plus is the creator Kovid is a MobileRead member and regular poster)
Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Myth:

If I am out of Whispernet range I can't put new books on the Kindle.

Myth:

If I have hundreds of books on my Kindle it will take forever to page through the list to find them. So, 2GB of storage is useless.

BOb
Old 02-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Myth:

If I give someone my Kindle they can buy all sorts of stuff without my permission and I will have to pay a huge credit card bill for the stuff they bought.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Myth:

If I give someone my Kindle they can buy all sorts of stuff without my permission and I will have to pay a huge credit card bill for the stuff they bought.
Yeah, let's tackle that one.

Truth:

It is very difficult for a thief (because your friends wouldn't do that to you) to do much if any damage to your credit card just because they have your Kindle in their dirty little hands (stupid thieves). I've never lost or had a Kindle stolen but it's not too difficult to think through once you understand how the system works.

The only thing the thief can buy is books (are there well read thieves) and it's pretty easy to stop them and get your money back (if books are purchased from Amazon).

For those not familiar here is how purchasing books for the Kindle works.
  1. You choose your book, buy it and download it (via Whispernet or computer)
  2. Your credit card or gift card is charged via 1-Click.
  3. For each and every book purchased an email is sent to the email account you have on record with Amazon. This happens within seconds.

Now, a thief steals your Kindle and decides he/she wants to download the latest best sellers. They can't buy them via computer because they don't have the password to your account, so they turn on the Whispernet and surf on over to the Kindle store which is *always* signed in to your Kindle account (not the general Amazon store front). Every book they "buy" and download causes an email to be sent to you and you realize your Kindle is missing because you didn't buy those books. You contact Amazon and say "My Kindle has been stolen and thief made book purchases, please refund my money, remove the books from the Kindle then deregister it". You also make sure to turn off the 1-Click setting for the Kindle. The thief can no longer buy books from Amazon and if they turn the Whispernet on again, those books will be gone.

The frustrated thief decides to use the Kindle browser to surf over the main Amazon store front but they can't sign in because the don't know your Amazon screen name (if different from your Kindle's name... mine is different) or password.

Of course, if you have personal documents on your Kindle that might contain information allowing the thief easier access (credit card numbers, passwords...) you might have a different outcome.

The Kindle will still be usable at other sites but the thief is going to have to use his/her own credit info or that stolen from someone else. They can also re-register the Kindle under their own or assumed name (yeah, I don't like it either).
Old 02-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Then why are there DRM free ebooks in the Kindle store? I think you just listed a Myth.
Read the following and then tell me where I'm incorrect or rather where Cory Doctorow is incorrect.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=10
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Read the following and then tell me where I'm incorrect or rather where Cory Doctorow is incorrect.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=10
Are the DRM free books at Amazon from a big publisher or from a publisher?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There are? How do you find them? Can you provide a URL for one?

Thanks.

Quote:
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, ipod, kindle, kindle myths