Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
There is never a dumb question, only dumb people!

Who has the courage to start this?

(I'm too busy playing my pinball machine.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
If there are no stupid question, what sort of questions do stupid people ask?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
If there are no stupid question, what sort of questions do stupid people ask?
I like your question for starters!

Don

(Just having some fun here, and no disrespect is meant.-- please feel free to "bash" me.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

-

BASH!

Feel better?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
If you could post here anonymously, you might get a better response.
Maybe create a thread where Member name isn't posted or Guests can post.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I was at an auction today, and I heard the poor girl at the desk repeatedly telling someone the main auction starts at 4:30, the furniture is in that. No, I can't tell you the exact time the furniture comes up. Yes, the main catalog sale starts at 4:30. Yes the furniture is in it. No, I can't give you a time for the furniture.

Poor girl.

Then later I got up from my seat (leaving my bag and some items at the sofa) for literally five seconds to check an item, and I turn around and this old lady is sitting in my chair. I'm like, umm, I'm sitting there. See my purse?

On a fun note, I was waiting for this damn book box lot the whole day. There was one single book I wanted in it - a leatherbound collection of famous paintings. The box lot of books right before it didn't sell, so they included it with the one I wanted. So instead of getting 20 books (already I only wanted one), I got fifty. But then I took a look inside, turns out there's a whole bunch unframed prints (saw a Miro in there) as well as a few issues of Eros. I have one issue of it- it has the last photo shoot of Marilyn Monroe. Sure enough, there's another copy in there. All for ten bucks!

Also snagged two framed prints of Toulouse Lautrec with two other prints for $10. Will post pics in a little bit..
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Who has the courage to start this?

(I'm too busy playing my pinball machine.)

Don
Hmmm ... considering that "dumb" actually means unable to speak. I would have to say that since a question cannot speak (and can only be spoken), then all questions are by definition "dumb."

Some people are also dumb, but far from stupid. Same goes for animals (which is where we got the phrase "dumb animal").

As for stupid questions, there are plenty of those out there, along with stupid people. Most of the really stupid questions have more to do with the inability of the asker to listen to either what they are saying or what the other person says in response.

Every once in a while, however, there is a question that pushes the boundaries of sheer stupidity. Such as the one I was asked by a nurse who handed me a container of what looked to be ketchup (or catsup), told me it was urine and then asked me "Do you think there's blood in it?"

Any question the answer to which would normally begin with "DUH" is probably a stupid question. When you have the urge to whack the asker over the head with the nearest blunt object, it was probably a stupid question. When you find yourself doing a quick IQ analysis of the asker and coming back with an answer of 25 at best, it was probably a stupid question.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In my first job, I once asked a customer if he'd like the documents couriered to him, or sent by ordinary post? He asked what the difference was, and I told him that by ordinary post, well, "You know how unreliable it can be". He said, "Well, as I'm in charge of the mail distribution centre for the western sector of the metropolitan area, yes, I have a fair idea". Fortunately, he accompanied the comment with genuine amusement and laughter. How stupid was I? His occupation and employer were written on the documents I was sending!

FWIW, he got them couriered.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
pshrynk

I had a disgruntled postal worker as a former brother in law. He was constantly regaling us with tales of the inadequacies of the USPS.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I had a disgruntled postal worker as a former brother in law. He was constantly regaling us with tales of the inadequacies of the USPS.
Don't get me started on bad mail workers

Our mail carrier frequently drives in out lawn, and after it snows she won't deliver our mail because she can't drive right up to our mailbox. We even put poles up so she won't drive in our yard, but she just runs them over.

It's a shame. I miss the guy at my apartment. He would be able to tell if you were out and hold your mail for you. He was a doll
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I guess this is turning into a rant on postal workers.

At least you guys get your mailed delivered to your houses.

Here, they have central groups of boxes, so you have to actually WALK at least a block to get it.

Agony!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
The mail box "at" my house is about one mile from the front door and up on the ridge. The post office annex is about 3 miles away.

I sometimes walk up to the mail box (although I am one of the few people who will - or can - walk straight up the slope of the ridge. It's a great form of exercise, but most people walk it in about 10-12 switchbacks.).

Most of the time regular mail does not work for me. So, I mostly use FedEx or UPS. Our regular UPS driver (Allison .... hi, Allison!!) is a complete darling. She generally pops in to pet the kitties and say hi to the doggies.

I don't think I've even met the regular postal delivery person. But then, it's never happened that I was at the box when something was being delivered.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #13
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
A friend of mine used to work at a waterfront hotel in Victoria harbour. An American tourist once asked him what the elvation above sea level Victoria was. My friend looked over the mans shoulder and out the window and said 'bout 2 metres.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Tune in again tomorrow for "Stupid Moderator Stories" Don and I will tell funny (well funny to us at least) stories about our past employment and of the people that we are so happy to leave behind.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I guess this is turning into a rant on postal workers.
What's the difference between a chess player and a postal worker?
A chess player moves every now and then.

What does it mean when the Post Office flys its mast at half staff?
They're hiring.

What would you get if you merged the US Postal Service with Domino's?
Pizzas delivered 5 days late.

A lady bought a stamp at the post office and asked the clerk, "Shall I stick it on myself?" The clerk replied, "It'll get there faster if you stick it on
the envelope."

Did you hear the one about the unstamped letter?
You wouldn't get it.

Yeah, sorry, I know, those are real bad
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote