Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
northstar7
northstar7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Embedding font produces strange spacing

I'm preparing an epub and mobi with Sigil of a book that contains both English and Sanskrit transliteration.

The Liberation font has been successful so far in accurately producing glyphs such as m, r and t with dots under them.

It is not clear why, but on some instances of the Sanskrit transliteration extra horizontal spaces appear next to some of the text, at the start or finish of some of the Sanskrit.

I've checked the html and there's nothing there I can see that would be causing this. Has anyone seen this type of behavior? Any suggestions as to why it might be occurring?

By way of example, I'm pasting here some of the html in question and I'm attaching a file of a screenshot showing the spurious space in a Kindle for PC reader.

<p>In conclusion I wish to quote just a line from India’s greatest poet, Rabindranath Tagore. He sang, “<span class="sanskrit_ital">Simar majhe nashibo</span>. . .”</p>

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simar.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	111192  
northstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i don't see any spurious space in your attached picture ?
are you sure it is not just that the text is being justified.

try forcing it to "left" by adding
text-align: left;

in CSS for your sanskrit ital class
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There appears to be a space after the opening quotation mark that isn't indicated in the html. Are you sure there's not a special unicode space character inserted in there that's invisible in Code View?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
One thing that Sigil does not do is display some of these odd characters. I have PSPad installed and right click to open with to display files that I wonder about in both text and hex. Sigil does not generate these by itself. I have always found them to come with material I have gotten of the internet.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
northstar7
northstar7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Do you see the space after the open quote?

Hi, thanks, DiapDealer for your comment.

The spurious space I'm talking about is after the left double quote and before the word Simar. It's not in the html.

Also, I'll take a look at PSPad. So far I can't see how to switch between Hex and Text. Can you give me some guidance, please?

Thanks a lot.
northstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if you look at the calibre forum you will see another"extra space" issue - this time with Slavonic. the conclusion there is that Kindle's rendering engine is defective . Maybe that applies here also ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
In PSPad, View, Hex Edit Mode and you will see a hex editor to the left and text in a column to the right. Locate the place where things are odd and see what character is there. It should be 20 for a space. You can edit and save there if you want.

Or you can go back to book view and put your cursor after the problem and cursor your way back and backspace out any spaces and put in a ordinary space (which may be a non-breaking space.) But in any case you will have gotten rid of the oddball if it is there.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote