Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
bstahl5012
bstahl5012 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Internet Problem

Last wek my Verizon FIOS Wireless router died and was replaced. Now my Edge sees the router and connects but I can not browse the internet. This started exactly when the router was replaced.

I already "Forgot" my connection and reestablished the connection. And I tried static Ethernet settings all was no help. I'm still using 1.6

Any help is appreciated, is BorisB around here somewhere.....

Thanks,
Bryan
bstahl5012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstahl5012 View Post
Last wek my Verizon FIOS Wireless router died and was replaced. Now my Edge sees the router and connects but I can not browse the internet. This started exactly when the router was replaced.

I already "Forgot" my connection and reestablished the connection. And I tried static Ethernet settings all was no help. I'm still using 1.6

Any help is appreciated, is BorisB around here somewhere.....

Thanks,
Bryan
Are you able to send and receive e-mail? If so, check to make sure your router isn't acting like a proxy server or a Virtual Private Network (VPN). Make sure if the router has a firewall it isn't blocking Port 80 (HTTP). This is for web browsing. Here is thread where someone had a similar problem:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=proxy

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-23-2011 at 05:25 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
cajunseo
Zealot
cajunseo began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
when i first set mine up i had to uplug the router for about 15 seconds and plug it back in. then it all worked fine.
cajunseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
bstahl5012

cajunseo: I unplugged the router for 20 minutes, no joy.

obsessed2: Thanks Senior for the feedback, e-mail nor any other internet connected app works even though the edge says it is connected. I checked the Routers configuration and Proxy is not enabled nor is VPN. I and not blocking port 80 either.

The laptop and the wife's Android phone both connect via wireless just fine. It is just the Edge.

If I do a reset will I lose anything and/or what wil I louse. And how do I do a reset?

Thanks,
BMC Ret. (Yea, I know, deck ape with a computer.....)
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
cajunseo: I unplugged the router for 20 minutes, no joy.

obsessed2: Thanks Senior for the feedback, e-mail nor any other internet connected app works even though the edge says it is connected. I checked the Routers configuration and Proxy is not enabled nor is VPN. I and not blocking port 80 either.

The laptop and the wife's Android phone both connect via wireless just fine. It is just the Edge.

If I do a reset will I lose anything and/or what wil I louse. And how do I do a reset?

Thanks,
BMC Ret. (Yea, I know, deck ape with a computer.....)

Hey Boats, Welcome Aboard. I wouldn't Reset the Edge because like you said in your first post this started exactly when the router was replaced. I don't have FIOS but I have Verizon DSL. You say you can get into the router configuration screen. When you look under My Network (again this is DSL) or wherever it shows connected devices, try deleting the Edge from the router. You will know the Edge by its MAC address which can be found by selecting Settings, Network Controls, Wi-Fi Settings, press the MENU button and select Advanced.

Also, if it is a Secure Network try going Open for a few minutes to see if the Edge will connect or better yet take the Edge to a Library or McDonald's or somewhere that has open Wi-Fi and see if it will connect there.

So Boats, were you surface, sub-surface, or aviator? I was a surface ETCS in the Navy. Retired in 2008 after 24 plus years and went back in school. Graduate this Fall. I would have stayed for 30 but after 3 times up and striking out for Master Chief and a grueling 7 month deployment I decided to drop anchor.
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
bstahl5012

This thing is starting to annoy me.

I can see the Edge on the router and it has the same settings as the other devices. I deleted the Edge and reconnected. I have WEP64 turned on, still no luck. I than shut down the Firewall on the router with again no joy.

I than took the Edge to the other end of the house and connected to another wireless router that is wire connected to the main FIOS router. I can still see the Edge on the FIOS router but now as a Ethernet connected device vice a wireless connected device. Still no joy.

I'm out of ideas here....

I did 21 years and retired in 2001. After 2 years on a DD I did the rest of my time messing about in small boats on rivers. I'm a contractor to the Government in the Beltway these days.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
To answer the only one of your questions I can: Yes, Borisb is still around. He surfaces from time to time but has (I believe) retired from the question-answering business. He served well and for a long time in that capacity and we wish him well!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
This thing is starting to annoy me.

I can see the Edge on the router and it has the same settings as the other devices. I deleted the Edge and reconnected. I have WEP64 turned on, still no luck. I than shut down the Firewall on the router with again no joy.

I than took the Edge to the other end of the house and connected to another wireless router that is wire connected to the main FIOS router. I can still see the Edge on the FIOS router but now as a Ethernet connected device vice a wireless connected device. Still no joy.

I'm out of ideas here....

I did 21 years and retired in 2001. After 2 years on a DD I did the rest of my time messing about in small boats on rivers. I'm a contractor to the Government in the Beltway these days.
Try taking the PE to a place where there is a mobile hotspot like McDonald's or a Library and try it. I know you said other devices are working fine on your Network but this is the only way to be 100% sure that it is the PE before you proceed.

Small boats, sounds nice. I was on two FFGs, a CVN, a DDG, and 3 shore tours. Over 11 years sea-duty with 7 deployments and countless days at sea in the training cycle. The last one was the nail in the coffin. I did 7 + month deployments before but as I got older it became much harder. I miss the camaraderie but I'm happy to be on permanent shore duty.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Triskalleon
Enthusiast
Triskalleon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, Bryan,

Was your previous router using WEP64? If you're not sure, try setting it to WPA-PSK - the "PSK" stands for "pre-shared key" then "forgetting" the setting on the Edge under Settings - Network Controls - WiFi - "Turn on Wi-Fi" - wait for it - tap network name. The popup will show the connection details. Here I don't think that it will get anything if it does not connect, but the button to "forget" the connection is here.

If it works, you'll need to change the settings in the laptop and phone, but WEP encryption is sort of weak these days anyway.

Trisky
Triskalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
bstahl5012

Well the Edge works now. Triskalleon was sort of right, I changed the router to WPA but I also had to set a static address on the Edge. Thanks Triskalleon.

Obessed2, I know what you mean. I might not have been Ships company but I deployed more than I like to thing about. I figured after the Sea Service stars went silver I'd had it and puled the rip cord at 21 years. But I landed god with no complaints. Talk to ya later Senior.