Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #21661
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Fortunately, it's been long enough that I can read them again. Though I admit, the hard drinking of the early Matt Scudder books is a bit much. But still, enjoying this first one. I'll likely pace them out - they don't lend themselves to binge reading this second time around.

Meanwhile, listening to A Symphony of Echos, #2 in the Chronicles of St. Mary series, and Foxglove Summer, #5 in Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. I'm stretching out Foxglove Summer by only listening when I swim, giving me a strong incentive to hit the pool.
Way to go with the fitness motivation

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:00 AM   #21662
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: 1636: The Barbie Consortium by Gorg Huff et al. I'm 99% sure I'll enjoy this, a collection of stories covering one group of youngsters in the 1632 universe. Bought yesterday, thanks to a Kobo coupon.
And it was very enjoyable indeed. Although there was no overall story arc, and the book just ends when we get 'up to date' in the 1632 universe. But there was enough new stuff and rearrangements to make it an interesting read even for someone who's read all the Grantville Gazettes.

Next up: Friday the Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelman. A straight mystery story. I read it some years ago in paper, and I think I'll enjoy reading it again.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2015, 04:03 AM   #21663
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Death Of A Gossip (Hamish Macbeth #1)
by M.C. Beaton - 5/5

Fantastic! What a story, so intelligently told! The difference between Death Of A Gossip and the first Agatha Raisin book is that the former doesn't concentrate on the main character's details. That only helped to improve on what was a nice murder case. The gathering of suspects in a library was something of a throwback to Christie books. The final showdown with the suspects was very well presented. Hamish is such a decent chap. His traits are realistically displayed, and you believe him, his upbringing, his motives. He is the most alive detective I've come across since Sleeping Murder's Jane Marple. I enjoyed reading about things that moved me. Yet despite the fact that I could have been swept away emotionally, I wasn't. The book gave me control of my thoughts. I was aloof and impartial, while still cared very much for Alice, Charlie et al. I was very surprised by the quality of this book. And it seems, and I hope, that I have a lot of good things to discover of the Hamish Macbeth series.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:05 AM   #21664
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
Death Of A Gossip (Hamish Macbeth #1)
by M.C. Beaton - 5/5

Fantastic! What a story, so intelligently told! The difference between Death Of A Gossip and the first Agatha Raisin book is that the former doesn't concentrate on the main character's details. That only helped to improve on what was a nice murder case. The gathering of suspects in a library was something of a throwback to Christie books. The final showdown with the suspects was very well presented. Hamish is such a decent chap. His traits are realistically displayed, and you believe him, his upbringing, his motives. He is the most alive detective I've come across since Sleeping Murder's Jane Marple. I enjoyed reading about things that moved me. Yet despite the fact that I could have been swept away emotionally, I wasn't. The book gave me control of my thoughts. I was aloof and impartial, while still cared very much for Alice, Charlie et al. I was very surprised by the quality of this book. And it seems, and I hope, that I have a lot of good things to discover of the Hamish Macbeth series.
I liked the books, but I REALLY enjoyed the TV series! Lots of fun!

I've discovered a John Sandford 'Virgil Flowers' book that I somehow overlooked. Must have been one of the very early ones. "Dark of the Moon," and it's another Sandford great!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:15 AM   #21665
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "March to the Sea", the second book in the "Empire of Man" series by David Weber and John Ringo. Extremely good military SF which I originally bought from Baen in 2001.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #21666
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "March to the Sea", the second book in the "Empire of Man" series by David Weber and John Ringo. Extremely good military SF which I originally bought from Baen in 2001.
I'm assuming this is a re-read? And I totally agree that it is excellent MilSF. As are the other three. Supposedly the authors are working on a fifth book in the series. Except that they apparently had a disagreement about plot direction, and who knows when the book will get written.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #21667
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm assuming this is a re-read? And I totally agree that it is excellent MilSF. As are the other three. Supposedly the authors are working on a fifth book in the series. Except that they apparently had a disagreement about plot direction, and who knows when the book will get written.
Yes, a re-read, but the first since I originally bought (and read) the series when it first came out, so that's almost 15 years ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #21668
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished One Rough Man by Brad Taylor and it was a very good thriller and a very fast read. Next up Seize the Night by Dean Koontz
Old 02-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #21669
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was a third of the way into this when I discovered the old Sandford 'Virgil Flowers' book and had to put it down. I was enjoying 'March to the Sea' but there is very little that can beat out a Sandford novel. I'll get back to it tomorrow when I finish reading how Virgil saves the day.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:21 PM   #21670
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Manga Break

I am currently reading The Rook. Its fantastic, so far! I wish I had started it yesterday morning. Now I'll have to sneak in 5 minutes of reading enjoyment, whenever I can, during the workweek.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #21671
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Just finished Digital Divide by K. B. Spangler

Now starting The True History of the Elephant Man 3rd edition, by Michael Howell & Peter Ford
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:37 AM   #21672
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I've just finished One & Only by Viv Daniels (also known as Diana Peterfreund).
This is a very nice New Adult story which avoids many traps other stories in this genre usually fall into. If you like this genre, go for it

Quote:
Meanwhile, listening to A Symphony of Echos, #2 in the Chronicles of St. Mary series, and Foxglove Summer, #5 in Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series.
Please let me know what you think of A Symphony of Echos when you're done. Thanks to wrong shelving at Kobo, I haven't been able to read it yet.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #21673
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Next up: Friday the Rabbi Slept Late by Harry Kemelman. A straight mystery story. I read it some years ago in paper, and I think I'll enjoy reading it again.
And I did. A most enjoyable murder mystery, although a very quick conclusion. And this time I spotted the clues and remembered whodunnit!

Next up: Sly Mongoose by Tobias Buckell. Another recent purchase, third in a series of which I'd read the first two and already had the fourth!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #21674
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm currently reading Cheat Mountain by K.P. Hayden; the story of a young couple who buy a home here in my native Virginia that's haunted by the ghost of a Confederate soldier. So far it's a rip roaring tale with plenty of action and interesting characters.

Just finished this one and loved it. Keeping all the players straight was a bit of a chore as there were many of them, but the book had plenty of action and mystery. Interesting aside: Cheat Mountain was originally named Breastworks, which is a reference to the trenches used by Civil War soldiers. They were deep enough so that from a standing position they came up to a man's chest, hence the name. The author's wife told me he changed the title because people doing an internet search on the word "breastworks" were getting results that were not at all what they desired.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-02-2015 at 01:03 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #21675
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Next up: Sly Mongoose by Tobias Buckell. Another recent purchase, third in a series of which I'd read the first two and already had the fourth!
Funny you mention this; I was just at a convention with him (As in, the weekend that ended yesterday) and got him to sign my ebooks.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote